New Android client for testing

Peter Bienstman

Mar 15, 2021, 8:14:50 AM3/15/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Dear all,

Either on the beta channel on Google Play, or on https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05zpgk32ylgwlzx/AADSpEgCw359lu78DLLSBeuna?dl=0 , you can find a test version of the new Android client.

Main feature is support for the cramming study mode.

Main antifeature is that Mnemosyne now complies with Google's new policies related to storage. Unfortunately, this brings only hassle to end users...

First of all, we need to store your database in a different place, so you will need to resync from scratch. Also, you can no longer access your database and configuration files using a file browser, so we provide some import/export functionality for power users that want to make low-level modifications to the config files.

Let me know if there are any issues.

Cheers,

Peter

Manuel Mutke

Mar 24, 2021, 8:57:54 AM3/24/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
How does the "Cram recently learned new cards" feature work? In other words, which are the recently learned new cards?

Peter Bienstman

Mar 24, 2021, 8:59:34 AM3/24/21
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
This works the same as in the desktop version: it focuses on the cards you learned the last few days. (How many days exactly is something you can adjust in the desktop version, and that setting will get synced to the Android client)

rozmu...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2021, 7:23:29 AM3/25/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users

Hi,

After automatic update of mnemosyne app (on my Samsung A40) it showed 0 cards.
Bad surprise for me. I suspected some fault with my phone. I didn't notice update of this app.
Unfortunately I do not sync my app with PC every week.

For others who will run into such situation, this is how you can recover:
1. backup PC data (just in case)
2. transfer default.db + journal file from phone to PC (directory data for you Mnemosyne)
3. perform sync from Phone: start app + fetch remote data

After deleting "Mnemosyne" folder on my phone and sync I was quite surprised that I cannot find new folder nor default.db.
.... and I found this thread.

Peter Bienstman

Mar 25, 2021, 7:25:46 AM3/25/21
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the information to look at is this webpage: https://mnemosyne-proj.org/help/android-and-storage

This is also mentioned on the App store, as well as on a popup when you open the new version for the first time.

I realise all of this is a big hassle for zero gain, but it's essentially Google's fault :-)

Peter