How to completely remove Android App?

Niclas Rieger

Oct 14, 2023, 9:37:56 AM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi Peter et al.
Just got a fresh install of 2.10.1 - thank you! I wanted to sync my Android App but got the error message:

Error: mismatched user ids. The first sync should happen on an empty database. Backup then delete the local database and try again.

Removing and reinstalling from the PlayStore, however, does not to remove the local database, it seems since I already have scheduled cards when I first open it & the error persists.

Now, I want to delete the local database files on my phone manually. But neither through my phone, nor by connecting through USB cable/Ubuntu  I am able to track down the mnemosyne files. In Ubuntu, changing to the root directory where my phone is mounted and then entering this directory, I see two directories (1) Phone and (2) Card. Running

find . -type d -name "*mnemosyne*" -print

in a terminal yields just two entries,

./Phone/Android/data/org.mnemosyne
./Card/Android/data/org.mnemosyne

which are both empty. Any idea where I can find this infamous database?
Thank you
Niclas

Peter Bienstman

Oct 14, 2023, 10:07:34 AM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Try looking for a directory /sdcard/Mnemosyne or something like that.

Cheers,

Peter

Niclas Rieger

Oct 14, 2023, 10:31:06 AM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I Looked for "sdcard", but unfortunately nothing. I remember that I could access Mnemosyne data in the past on my phone, but I a got a new phone which may be the problem...

Niclas Rieger

Oct 14, 2023, 10:50:11 AM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users

Is there a possibility to incorporate a feature into the app that enables users to remove any existing local database? like having a handy "reset" button for the app. Alternatively, would it be possible to ensure that the app performs a thorough cleanup when it's uninstalled?

In the meantime, I'll explore whether there's a way to access the internal data on my phone. It appears that this newer Android model I have only allows access to standard data files such as images, downloads, and documents.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 14, 2023, 11:03:40 AM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
That's strange, because normally in the later Android versions all data is removed upon uninstall.

Possible workaround: export data from the Android app, modify the zip file to include an empty database, and reimport.

Peter

Niclas Rieger

Oct 14, 2023, 11:21:45 AM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
good idea! I just tried that with the database I have on my Desktop version and with export - import I could make the App "mimick" the same state as the Desktop version, i.e. both Desktop and App have the same number of scheduled, not memorized and active cards. Syncing still fails, however, with the same error as before.

How can I create an empty database?  At first I thought it would be in File > New... but here I'm asked to provide a new database which then seems to be loaded.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 14, 2023, 11:26:27 AM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Create an empty database using the desktop app, and use that instead.

Also edit a file like machine id or something, and change the contents to something else.

Peter

Niclas Rieger

Oct 14, 2023, 2:47:21 PM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Sorry it's not clear to me how to create an empty database. I see File > New... but that option want to open a file...it does not create a new (empty) one. Sorry if the solution is obvious :/

Peter Bienstman

Oct 14, 2023, 3:48:36 PM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Can't you provide a filename for that new database in that dialog? Just call it tmp.db, then open your own database again. Then, put tmp.db renamed as default.db in the export.

Peter

Niclas Rieger

Oct 14, 2023, 4:13:14 PM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Peter it worked! Thanks a lot for providing super speedy Saturday help! Nice weekend to you!