Access mnemosyne via vpn

Dorian Minors

Dec 19, 2021, 4:01:25 PM12/19/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hello!

I use a vpn to get in and out of my home server remotely.

I'd love to do the same with mnemosyne. Is there any way to get my mnemosyne sync server and web server to run at localhost rather than whatever ip it chooses, so I can just access them through my vpn? I can't see any options for this in config.db.

Warm regards,

dorian

Peter Bienstman

Dec 20, 2021, 4:58:52 AM12/20/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

Which OS are you using?

For Linux, can you check if the following change helps you: https://github.com/mnemosyne-proj/mnemosyne/blob/master/openSM2sync/server.py, line 100 change 0.0.0.0 to 127.0.0.1

For Windows, I can make a tryout version which has this change.

Once we confirm that this helps you, I can make it configurable through config.py.

Cheers,

Peter

Dorian Minors

Dec 20, 2021, 2:37:23 PM12/20/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Evening,

Thanks for the quick response.

OS: ubuntu server.

It didn't seem to help. I still can't access web or sync servers using the vpn ip address. Do I need to do something other than change the file in the directory I installed from?

I unfortunately don't know enough about networking to really know how to help debug this. Some notes that might help(?):

My vpn runs on 10.0.0.x range.
Mnemosyne sync/web server will give me an ip address in the 10.x.0.x range.
My router gives out addresses in the 192.168.1.x range.

To connect to syncthing gui, I simply go to 10.0.0.#:<port>.
Similarly, all my reverse proxy passes forward to 10.0.0.#:<port>
But going to 10.0.0.#:<mnemosyne-port> times out (sync server) or fails (web server).

I know that to get syncthing to work on the vpn I needed to get it to accept connections from the network (change to 0.0.0.0 from 127.0.0.1): https://docs.syncthing.net/users/guilisten.html
Since you're already doing that, I suspect that I'm doing something weird or incorrect.

Warm regards,

Dorian

Peter Bienstman

Dec 20, 2021, 4:04:05 PM12/20/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

I guess after editing the file, you installed the updated version with 'sudo python setup.py install'?

Apart from that, I'm afraid the subtilities of VPNs and networking are also beyond me. I merely looked up the instructions of how to bind the wsgi server to localhost, but that's it...

Peter

Dorian Minors

Dec 21, 2021, 8:00:03 AM12/21/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Morning,

No, you did plenty. I just needed to know that the app was already bound to 0.0.0.0.

It was the IP address that mnemosyne was showing me that threw me off. A red herring in this case. The subtleties of networking are also beyond me.

It was my fault as I suspected. I misconfigured my firewall!

Warm regards,

Dorian

Peter Bienstman

Dec 21, 2021, 8:29:11 AM12/21/21