Help needed for installing Mackbook air M1-chip

Koya

Mar 8, 2022, 6:42:18 PM3/8/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Dear people,
I can see that this platform has a huge community and I am hoping someone with a Mac M1chip can help me out. When I download the program for the Mac, it won't open it as it tells me it cannot check for viruses.

I have only been working for 6 months with a mac, so a lot of things are still new to me. Should I install the program differently? I really want to pic up spaced repetition again for a language I really want to learn, and have been trying to for some time now.

So hopefully, there is a solution to this problem. :)

Thanks in advance!

Marrit

Gabrielle Taylor

Mar 8, 2022, 8:43:22 PM3/8/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi Marrit,

Try to open the program again and then go to the Apple menu in the top left and click on "System Preferences". In the preferences screen, click on "Security & Privacy". Under the "General" tab, there should be a button to click to let Mnemosyne open. You might have to first click the lock button at the bottom and type in your password, or you might have to type in your password after clicking the button to let Mnemosyne open.

Now, just open Mnemosyne again - it should work correctly.

Hopefully that's helpful!

Thanks,
Gabrielle

Koya

Mar 22, 2022, 6:21:49 PM3/22/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hey hey,

Late reply, but only thought of checking it today.

I tried your approach, but it did not work. Maybe because it opened like this: see attachment.
I tried downloading it again but gave the same pop-up screen.

Would you know what I should do to get this to work?

Best,

Marrit

Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 23.18.38.png

Gabrielle Taylor

Mar 22, 2022, 7:27:03 PM3/22/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi Marrit,

Here are some instructions that should hopefully resolve it:
  1. Open Finder.
  2. Locate the Mnemosyne app.
  3. Control+Click the app.
  4. Select Open.
  5. Click Open.
  6. The app should be saved as an exception in your security settings, allowing you to open it in the future.

If the previous method didn’t work, you can go into your Security & Privacy settings and do it manually:

  1. Open the Apple menu, and click System Preferences.
  2. Click Security & Privacy.
  3. Click the General tab.
  4. Click the lock in the lower right corner of the window.
  5. Enter your username and password when prompted, and click Unlock.
  6. Click the App Store and Identified Developers radial button.
  7. Look for “Mnemosyne was blocked from opening because it is not from an identified developer” and click Open Anyway. (In older versions of macOS, you could click Anywhere and then click Allow From Anywhere.)
  8. Try rerunning the app.
These are based on the instructions in https://www.lifewire.com/fix-developer-cannot-be-verified-error-5183898:

Best of luck,
Gabrielle

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/32737d4d-203c-4461-9aee-eb2f846b5e7dn%40googlegroups.com.
<Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 23.18.38.png>

Koya

Mar 23, 2022, 8:09:11 AM3/23/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hey Gabrielle,

Thank you so much, once again! This time the first steps worked! Good to know for future apps/software that won't work on my mac as well. I really appreciate the help and happy learning! :)

Best,

Marrit