Audio Not Working

robertlw...@gmail.com

May 18, 2020, 3:19:14 AM5/18/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I have happily used Mnemosyne for a number of years.  Today, after updating my Mac to 10.15.4, the audio in all my Mnemosyne flashcards stopped working.  At this point I have about 8,000 flashcards, and large number of them have audio on them.

If this helps:
1. As far as I can tell, the audio on my computer is fine otherwise.  I also use Anki and the audio on Anki flashcards was still functioning today.
2. As a test, I reset my computer, but that did not bring back the audio.
3. I had actually been using an older version of Mnemosyne like 2.2, so I upgrade to 2.7.1 but that did not help the problem either.

What should I do?

Best,

Robert

Peter Bienstman

May 18, 2020, 3:20:59 AM5/18/20
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, Devin Howard
Hi,

I'm putting Devin, our Mac developer in CC. Probably it has something
to do with Mnemosyne not finding mplayer. You might try installing
mplayer in a location that is picked up by the system path.

Cheers,

Peter

Devin Howard

May 18, 2020, 4:28:37 PM5/18/20
to Peter Bienstman, mnemosyne-proj-users
I can look into this issue this week and get back to you

Devin Howard

May 19, 2020, 9:40:10 PM5/19/20
to Peter Bienstman, mnemosyne-proj-users
OK, I've tested and the latest 2.7.1 sound works for me

macOS version: 10.14.6 (18G4032)

This is probably something new in Catalina. I've been putting off upgrading, but I'll do that now and try it.

Does sound work in 2.3 with Catalina? If you have time, it would help if you tried all the versions between 2.3 and 2.7.1 to find out if there's an issue in Mnemosyne generally, or if it's an issue with Catalina.

I don't promise I'll do it quickly, but assuming it breaks in Catalina I'll try to get something pushed for a 2.7.2 release or 2.8 release that works with Catalina

Devin Howard

May 21, 2020, 12:35:57 AM5/21/20
to Peter Bienstman, mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi Robert

I've upgraded to Catalina and 2.7.1 works for me - I can hear the sounds.

It may help if I see the specific error message your application is throwing. We can try launching Mnemosyne from a terminal. Not sure what your experience with Terminal is so I can give you the step by step.

Can you exit Mnemosyne, then open the Terminal application and type these lines (pressing Enter after each one)

cd /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents
MacOS/Mnemosyne

When I run these two commands, I see Mnemosyne open, andI see this output:

orpved:~ devin$ cd /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/
orpved:Contents devin$ MacOS/Mnemosyne

That is, there is no additional output. When I read a card that has sounds, the sound plays and again, I see no additional output.

If you do see any error message in the terminal when you run the sounds, can you send it to me so I can help debug?

Robert Waguespack

May 21, 2020, 1:05:26 AM5/21/20
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Devin,

Thank you for the response.  When I run the commands you listed, Mnemosyne opens up as expected, but the output in Terminal is clearly some kind of error message.

I have copied that output below:

Uploading SN3K4iU6inLpOSzS08UNjS_SH2znSDdE2zEzrbtyaOJq2_00140.bz2 ... Upload failed

b'<pre>\nTraceback (most recent call last):\n  File "/home/mnemosyne/cgi-bin/cgiupload.py", line 19, in __init__\n    self.process()\n  File "/home/mnemosyne/cgi-bin/cgiupload.py", line 30, in process\n    f = file(filename, \'wb\')\nIOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: \'/home/mnemosyne/SN3K4iU6inLpOSzS08UNjS_SH2znSDdE2zEzrbtyaOJq2_00140.bz2\'\n'

Traceback (innermost last):

  File "mnemosyne/libmnemosyne/log_uploader.py", line 85, in run

  File "mnemosyne/libmnemosyne/log_uploader.py", line 61, in upload

 mnemosyne.libmnemosyne.utils.MnemosyneError: b'<pre>\nTraceback (most recent call last):\n  File "/home/mnemosyne/cgi-bin/cgiupload.py", line 19, in __init__\n    self.process()\n  File "/home/mnemosyne/cgi-bin/cgiupload.py", line 30, in process\n    f = file(filename, \'wb\')\nIOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: \'/home/mnemosyne/SN3K4iU6inLpOSzS08UNjS_SH2znSDdE2zEzrbtyaOJq2_00140.bz2\'\n'

When reviewing cards normally, no further terminal output occurs.

If, however, I click to "browse cards" or "edit" a card with audio and then click "preview", I get the following message:
QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer") is still running.

Please let me know if there is any further information that I can provide that would be helpful.

Best,

Robert

Devin Howard

Jun 6, 2020, 5:21:18 PM6/6/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
That output suggests that mplayer is running inside the app, but no audio is coming out of it. I am a bit out of my depth here - I have no idea what would cause the difference in your environment vs mine that makes it not work. I will do a little more research but unfortunately I don't have any ideas and don't think I'll be able to help without being able to see the error on my own machine.

Some thoughts:
- Do you have any special configurations or programs installed that might interfere with audio output?
- Maybe the volume of the app is down for some reason?
- Maybe the card has become misconfigured? Try downloading the "Musical Key Signatures" cards from https://mnemosyne-proj.org/card-sets/music, which is what I used for testing.
- You could try cleaning out (or just moving to a backup location) /Users/<you>/Library/Application Support/Mnemosyne to see if the default configuration generated by the app works better

Sorry I'm not much more help.

Robert Waguespack

Jun 13, 2020, 1:16:01 AM6/13/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hello, sorry for the delayed response.

In regards to your questions:

- Do you have any special configurations or programs installed that might interfere with audio output?
Not that I know of.  What would be an example of such a program?
- Maybe the volume of the app is down for some reason?
Does Mnemosyne has its own volume setting? (I didn't see anything listed under 'preferences' or 'settings')  I obviously have the volume on my computer turned up...
- Maybe the card has become misconfigured? Try downloading the "Musical Key Signatures" cards from https://mnemosyne-proj.org/card-sets/music, which is what I used for testing.
I downloaded the 'Musical Key Signatures' cards and imported them into mnemosyne and can confirm that I get no audio with them (or any new audio cards that I create)
- You could try cleaning out (or just moving to a backup location) /Users/<you>/Library/Application Support/Mnemosyne to see if the default configuration generated by the app works better
Okay, maybe this is worthwhile to try, but given my limited technical background you will have to be a little more specific as to what I need to do.
As I understand it, you are saying to:
1. navigate to /Users/Robert/Library/'Application Support'/Mnemosyne using 'cd'
2. move the contents of the directory (just a 'QtEngine' at the moment) to another arbitrary location using 'mv'
3. Then do something else??

If you could clarify what I should do to follow your suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Robert

Peter Bienstman

Jun 13, 2020, 2:41:14 AM6/13/20
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Just to be sure, can you try with other sound files too?

Peter

Devin Howard

Jun 14, 2020, 12:14:00 AM6/14/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
- You could try cleaning out (or just moving to a backup location) /Users/<you>/Library/Application Support/Mnemosyne to see if the default configuration generated by the app works better

You can do this in a terminal like you described, or you can navigate there using Finder, and just drag and drop the folder to your desktop, for example.

For the app volume questions - if you don't know, then probably you shouldn't have any issues :)

Did you try any older versions? I think I got the impression this was more to do with the Catalina upgrade than the Mnemosyne version upgrade, right?

I'm pretty sure the error is

QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer") is still running.

But I don't know what's causing it.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "mnemosyne-proj-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/CAMdxoPGHeCxnMZK8SaJTkhUisQvrsx5jjx%3DQEY91WOkxjYXDZg%40mail.gmail.com.

Robert Waguespack

Jun 27, 2020, 11:36:05 PM6/27/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Finally had some time this weekend to return to my audio issue.

Did you try any older versions? I think I got the impression this was more to do with the Catalina upgrade than the Mnemosyne version upgrade, right?

The good news is after following Devin's suggestion to try an older version of Mnemosyne, the audio returned!  As my first test, I replaced 2.7.1 with 2.5 and the audio returned when I tried out a card preview.  I also tried out 2.6.1 and I still had audio.  As an additional test, I reinstalled 2.7.1 for a moment and the audio disappeared again.  As of this point, I have switched to 2.6.1.   I have not looked into the differences between the versions of Mnemosyne but as long as the audio continues to work I am satisfied.  Let me know if you want me to do any further tests.

Best,

Robert

Robert Waguespack

Jun 28, 2020, 6:53:38 PM6/28/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Unfortunately, I guess that I spoke too soon.  Only did some quick tests yesterday, after already finishing my reviews for the day.  Today, I noticed a new problem.  I have a number of cards with multiple audio files.  It used to be the case that the audio would play nicely in order (ie the first would play to completion, then the second would play, and so on).  Now, only the last audio file plays (If I change the order of the files, the audio that plays changes as well)

This problem occurs consistently through versions 2.4.1, 2.5, and 2.6.1 of Mnemosyne.

In an earlier message, Devin had suggested that I look at the error messages when you run Mnemosyne from terminal.  Here is the current lengthy error message that I get when I start it up:

Warning: Could not import OpenGL. Might cause a black screen on some Linux distributions. Try installing python3-opengl in that case.

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

Path override failed for key ui::DIR_LOCALES and path '/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_locales'

[0628/174922.702520:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(811)] Failed to load /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak

Some features may not be available.

[0628/174922.702584:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(811)] Failed to load /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak

Some features may not be available.

[0628/174922.703367:WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(115)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale

QIODevice::write (QProcess): device not open

Path override failed for key ui::DIR_LOCALES and path '/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_locales'

Path override failed for key ui::DIR_LOCALES and path '/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_locales'

[0628/174922.747530:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(811)] Failed to load /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak

Some features may not be available.

[0628/174922.747617:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(811)] Failed to load /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak

Some features may not be available.

[0628/174922.747837:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(811)] Failed to load /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak

Some features may not be available.

[0628/174922.747919:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(811)] Failed to load /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak

Some features may not be available.

[0628/174922.748598:WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(115)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale

[0628/174922.748881:WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(115)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale

When I play audio of a card with three files of audio, I get this message:

QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer") is still running.

QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer") is still running.

When I press the button to the 'preview' the same card:
QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer") is still running.
QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer") is still running.
Path override failed for key ui::DIR_LOCALES and path '/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_locales'
Path override failed for key ui::DIR_LOCALES and path '/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_locales'
[0628/175018.995573:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(811)] Failed to load /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0628/175018.995660:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(811)] Failed to load /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0628/175018.996286:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(811)] Failed to load /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0628/175018.996368:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(811)] Failed to load /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Resources/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0628/175018.996662:WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(115)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale
[0628/175018.997369:WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(115)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale

Hopefully some of this information is useful.

Best,

Robert

Devin Howard

Nov 27, 2020, 6:49:54 PM11/27/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hey Robert

I encountered some audio issue when building version 2.7.3 and was able to resolve them. I'm hoping that means 2.7.3 audio should work for you... let me know.

As for the problem playing multiple audio files in a row, do you have a sample card deck I could use to reproduce the error? I might be able to look next week while it's fresh in my mind

Robert Waguespack

Dec 23, 2020, 12:13:51 AM12/23/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hello Devin,

Sorry for the late reply.  I unsubscribed from this google group in September, assuming that there would be no further follow up on my issue.

I just downloaded 2.7.3 and tried it out.  Unfortunately, when I used opened this version of Mnemosyne, once again there was no audio at all.  Furthermore, I have noticed an additional problem- I am now unable to add new cards at all.  When I click the button with the green plus to 'add card' a entirely blank grey window appears (with no buttons or white spaces input text).

If it helps, when I open Mnemosyne from the terminal as suggested in an earlier post, I get this message:

Uploading SN3K4iU6inLpOSzS08UNjS_SH2znSDdE2zEzrbtyaOJq2_00194.bz2 ... done!

[...]

When I open the preview of a card with audio, I get this message:

QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer") is still running.

When I click to add a new card, there is no error message in terminal

As for the last bit:
> do you have a sample card deck I could use to reproduce the error?

I'm not sure I understand what you want here.  I could provide you with all (or just a few cards) of my deck if you would like.  Alternatively some of the premade cards with audio (such as the 'Music Theory' deck at https://mnemosyne-proj.org/cards/music-theory ) have the same effect as my own cards- no audio plays with 2.7.3.  If you are specifically investigating the issue with only the last audio file playing when multiple audio files are present, here is the example of the contents of the 'notes' section of one of my vocabulary flashcards:

-------

<audio src="pronunciation_ja_たいてい.mp3">

八月はたいてい暑いが、今日は本当に暑い

<audio src="200481.mp3">

-------

(The first audio file is pronunciation of the word, the second audio is audio of the example sentence.)  I would assume that any vocabulary card that has two audio files in the 'notes' section, or two audio files on the 'back' of 'front-to-back-only' card would produce the same effect.

Best,

Robert Waguespack

Devin Howard

Dec 24, 2020, 2:21:59 PM12/24/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Thanks a lot for getting back. I still have no idea what's going wrong for you, sorry I can't be more help! Hope you found a working solution with Anki or something 😄