Culver's Butterburgers and Frozen Custard

Aaron Kaase

Oct 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/22/00
This place rocks!

I stopped there when I was out in Buffalo yesterday... It's a fast food joint
that serves (mainly) hamburgers and frozen custard. The hamburgers are
prepared very fresh, and are very tasty. The frozen custard tastes like soft
serve, but it has a thicker consistency.

Their menu is expansive, they serve chicken sandwiches, patty melts, steak
sandwiches, chicken tenders, etc. And the prices are very reasonable. I got a
double cheeseburger, onion rings, soft drink, and custard for a little less
than $7.00.

They need to open this place in the city. But looking at the place menu, it
looks like they are in mostly rural towns and small cities (like Buffalo).
Although it looks like one is opening in Vadnais Heights!

--
Aaron Kaase
St. Paul, MN

Scott Smith

Oct 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/22/00
On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 00:03:00 GMT, spamsuck...@pconline.com (Aaron Kaase)
wrote:

>This place rocks!
>
>I stopped there when I was out in Buffalo yesterday... It's a fast food joint
>that serves (mainly) hamburgers and frozen custard. The hamburgers are
>prepared very fresh, and are very tasty. The frozen custard tastes like soft
>serve, but it has a thicker consistency.
>
>Their menu is expansive, they serve chicken sandwiches, patty melts, steak
>sandwiches, chicken tenders, etc. And the prices are very reasonable. I got a
>double cheeseburger, onion rings, soft drink, and custard for a little less
>than $7.00.

Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.

I'm not really that surprised they do well in a rural area...people
there (my relatives included) seem to live on red meat, butter and
dairy products. Hence, many of them die fairly young, and they
are usually a pretty hefty lot.

I used to love all that stuff too, but a while back I decided
that food like that needs to be eaten in extreme moderation.

SS

Spuddie

Oct 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/22/00
On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 11:35:06 -0500, Scott Smith <sc...@wwwebworld.com>
a gracile godemouche with a gramnivorous grinagog, grimaced
glandaciously, grabbed a gamic gynotikolobomassophile and griped:

>Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.
>
>I'm not really that surprised they do well in a rural area...people
>there (my relatives included) seem to live on red meat, butter and
>dairy products. Hence, many of them die fairly young, and they
>are usually a pretty hefty lot.

It's not really the meat and dairy that causes the problem. It's the
food you eat *with* the meat and dairy...sugar, starches, refined
flour products, and not enough veggies.

>I used to love all that stuff too, but a while back I decided
>that food like that needs to be eaten in extreme moderation.

Odd...I've lost about 60 pounds since I started eating *mostly* that
kind of food...red meat, pork, poultry (with the skin left on), fish,
eggs, bacon, cheese, plus a few low-carb vegetables...my total
cholesterol has dropped, my 'good' cholesterol has risen and the ratio
between 'good' and 'bad' cholesterol improved, my triglycerides have
dropped, my blood pressure is low-normal, my blood sugar is normal and
I'm off my diabetic medication. :)

I know it doesn't make sense to most people, because we've swallowed
hook, line and sinker the myth that the "Food Pyramid" is the way to
lose weight and be healthy. If you want a scientific explanation
(right down to the cellular level) of why eating protein and fat
isn't what t makes you fat or gives you high cholesterol levels, read
the book "Protein Power" by Dr. Michael and Mary Dan Eades. I
personally follow the Atkins low-carb plan, but the Eades' explanation
is much more detailed and with not only research and studies to back
up their assertions but anthropological evidence as well.

Cheryl
~~~Conventional people are roused to fury by departures from
convention, largely because they regard such
departures as a criticism of themselves.~~~ (Bertrand Russell)

Steve Sheldon

Oct 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/22/00

"Spuddie" <spuddie@KissMyButt!.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 11:35:06 -0500, Scott Smith <sc...@wwwebworld.com>
> a gracile godemouche with a gramnivorous grinagog, grimaced
> glandaciously, grabbed a gamic gynotikolobomassophile and griped:
>
> >Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.
> >
> >I'm not really that surprised they do well in a rural area...people
> >there (my relatives included) seem to live on red meat, butter and
> >dairy products. Hence, many of them die fairly young, and they
> >are usually a pretty hefty lot.

I didn't realize 90 was considered a young age.

> It's not really the meat and dairy that causes the problem. It's the
> food you eat *with* the meat and dairy...sugar, starches, refined
> flour products, and not enough veggies.

One of the nice things about visiting our families farms is the selection of
fresh fruit and vegetables.

My uncle has 100 yards of fence covered in grape vines.

Eating at a place like Culver's every once in a while is ok. Eating there
every day would be bad.

BTW, Red Robin opened up restaurants in Apple Valley and Eagan. I went to
one of these out in Cleveland a couple of years ago and they had very good
hamburgers as well.

Jim Manson

Oct 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/22/00
spamsuck...@pconline.com (Aaron Kaase) wrote:

>This place rocks!
>
>I stopped there when I was out in Buffalo yesterday... It's a fast food joint
>that serves (mainly) hamburgers and frozen custard. The hamburgers are
>prepared very fresh, and are very tasty. The frozen custard tastes like soft
>serve, but it has a thicker consistency.
>
>Their menu is expansive, they serve chicken sandwiches, patty melts, steak
>sandwiches, chicken tenders, etc. And the prices are very reasonable. I got a
>double cheeseburger, onion rings, soft drink, and custard for a little less
>than $7.00.
>

>They need to open this place in the city. But looking at the place menu, it
>looks like they are in mostly rural towns and small cities (like Buffalo).
>Although it looks like one is opening in Vadnais Heights!

There's one by Lake Minnetonka in Orono on Shoreline Drive.

Scott Schrader

Oct 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/22/00
God had to tap me on the chest before I got my diet cleaned up. Hope
you guys like the place, I have reasons not to visit :(

Scott Smith wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 00:03:00 GMT, spamsuck...@pconline.com (Aaron Kaase)

> wrote:
>
> >This place rocks!
> >
> >I stopped there when I was out in Buffalo yesterday... It's a fast food joint
> >that serves (mainly) hamburgers and frozen custard. The hamburgers are
> >prepared very fresh, and are very tasty. The frozen custard tastes like soft
> >serve, but it has a thicker consistency.
> >
> >Their menu is expansive, they serve chicken sandwiches, patty melts, steak
> >sandwiches, chicken tenders, etc. And the prices are very reasonable. I got a
> >double cheeseburger, onion rings, soft drink, and custard for a little less
> >than $7.00.
>

> Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.
>
> I'm not really that surprised they do well in a rural area...people
> there (my relatives included) seem to live on red meat, butter and
> dairy products. Hence, many of them die fairly young, and they
> are usually a pretty hefty lot.
>

> I used to love all that stuff too, but a while back I decided
> that food like that needs to be eaten in extreme moderation.
>

> SS

Scott Smith

Oct 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/22/00
On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:42:27 -0500, "Steve Sheldon"
<ssheldon...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>"Spuddie" <spuddie@KissMyButt!.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 11:35:06 -0500, Scott Smith <sc...@wwwebworld.com>
>> a gracile godemouche with a gramnivorous grinagog, grimaced
>> glandaciously, grabbed a gamic gynotikolobomassophile and griped:
>>

>> >Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.
>> >
>> >I'm not really that surprised they do well in a rural area...people
>> >there (my relatives included) seem to live on red meat, butter and
>> >dairy products. Hence, many of them die fairly young, and they
>> >are usually a pretty hefty lot.
>

>I didn't realize 90 was considered a young age.

On both my side of the family and on my wifes side, we have
had many relatives not make it far beyond 65 before heart
disease did them in. Most of them grew up on dairy farms,
were overweight, and had horrible diets. Can't really
blame them, since that seems to be the way their parents
brought them up and it's probably been that way for many
generations.

There are many positive things to rural farm living...diet is
usually not one of them,IMO, based on what I've seen from my
family experience.

Of course, inner-city living and all it's stresses and pollution
problems can't be good for a person either.

>> It's not really the meat and dairy that causes the problem. It's the
>> food you eat *with* the meat and dairy...sugar, starches, refined
>> flour products, and not enough veggies.
>
>One of the nice things about visiting our families farms is the selection of
>fresh fruit and vegetables.

That can be true, but I also saw a lot of dairy products and
hot dishes passed around at our family functions. I usually feel
safe enough sticking to the vegetable salads and green
jello with fruit in it (as long as they keep that damn cottage
cheese out of it).

What is it with these Lutherans and all their white and
yellow foods anyway? ;)

>My uncle has 100 yards of fence covered in grape vines.
>
>Eating at a place like Culver's every once in a while is ok. Eating there
>every day would be bad.

Eating that *type* of food daily cannot be a good thing. I think the
meat wouldn't be so bad, but all that butter and dairy stuff (i.e.
cheese, heavy cream, ice cream, etc.) can't be good for a person.

SS

Steve Sheldon

Oct 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/22/00

"Scott Smith" <sc...@wwwebworld.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:42:27 -0500, "Steve Sheldon"
> <ssheldon...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
> >I didn't realize 90 was considered a young age.
>
> On both my side of the family and on my wifes side, we have
> had many relatives not make it far beyond 65 before heart
> disease did them in. Most of them grew up on dairy farms,
> were overweight, and had horrible diets. Can't really
> blame them, since that seems to be the way their parents
> brought them up and it's probably been that way for many
> generations.

Most of my family is still living. With the exception of an uncle who died
at 62, and a grandmother who died at 75 from a stroke. I believe my uncled
died of a heart attack, but he was also diabetic.

> There are many positive things to rural farm living...diet is
> usually not one of them,IMO, based on what I've seen from my
> family experience.

I think diet can be one of them. When my grandmother was alive she had a
full acre for a garden. Fresh vegetables were plentiful at the dinner
table. They also had an apple orchard, and one of my uncles has 100 yards
of fence row planted with grapes.

> Of course, inner-city living and all it's stresses and pollution
> problems can't be good for a person either.

I used to live in a smaller rural community while I worked at the
University, and my diet has definately suffered since moving back to Mpls.

My commute is a 30 minute stressful event. Going to the grocery store is a
major task again because of the traffic.

> >> It's not really the meat and dairy that causes the problem. It's the
> >> food you eat *with* the meat and dairy...sugar, starches, refined
> >> flour products, and not enough veggies.
> >
> >One of the nice things about visiting our families farms is the selection
of
> >fresh fruit and vegetables.
>
> That can be true, but I also saw a lot of dairy products and
> hot dishes passed around at our family functions. I usually feel
> safe enough sticking to the vegetable salads and green
> jello with fruit in it (as long as they keep that damn cottage
> cheese out of it).

Hmm, must be the difference in location. My family is from Iowa so they
weren't raising dairy but rather mostly beef, pork, and grains.

> What is it with these Lutherans and all their white and
> yellow foods anyway? ;)

I'm not sure. Another interesting thing, my mother's family is from middle
Iowa near Iowa City. My father's family is from up in Northeast near
Manchester.

Northeast Iowa food is bland, very bland. I think it's mostly to do with
the area being primarily settled by English, whereas central Iowa had a lot
more German and Slavik peoples.

I used to think it was just my grandparents, but then I went to a friends
wedding and it was the first time I had ever had a chicken salad sandwich
which tasted like nothing. I don't even think there was mayo in it, I don't
know what they used instead.

> >My uncle has 100 yards of fence covered in grape vines.
> >
> >Eating at a place like Culver's every once in a while is ok. Eating
there
> >every day would be bad.
>
> Eating that *type* of food daily cannot be a good thing. I think the
> meat wouldn't be so bad, but all that butter and dairy stuff (i.e.
> cheese, heavy cream, ice cream, etc.) can't be good for a person.

Yeah, but I'm not sure getting a Coke is much better than a Malted
milkshake.

We drink too much soda pop here in America.

S. Smith

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:13:34 -0500, Bill Seurer <seu...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>Spuddie wrote:
>> It's not really the meat and dairy that causes the problem. It's the
>> food you eat *with* the meat and dairy...sugar, starches, refined
>> flour products, and not enough veggies.
>

>It's the FAT in the meat and dairy products.

One thing that I've noticed a lot of my relatives do is to keep
"drippings" of the meat they cook to use in other recipes. I've
even seen an uncle spread it on bread like butter. Yuck.

SS

Aaron Kaase

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 16:33:02 -0500, Jim Manson <J...@Manson.com> wrote:

>There's one by Lake Minnetonka in Orono on Shoreline Drive.

Yep, Navarre...

Steve Sheldon

Oct 25, 2000, 1:07:45 AM10/25/00

"Bill Seurer" <seu...@us.ibm.com> wrote in message

> "S. Smith" wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:13:34 -0500, Bill Seurer <seu...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:
> > >It's the FAT in the meat and dairy products.
> >
> > One thing that I've noticed a lot of my relatives do is to keep
> > "drippings" of the meat they cook to use in other recipes. I've
> > even seen an uncle spread it on bread like butter. Yuck.
>
> My mom used to keep all the drippings and make soap out of them (and
> lye). Man that stuff would clean up anything including the top few
> layers off your skin.

Ugh, reminds me of that Fight Club movie. :)

Aaron Kaase

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00
On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:07:45 -0500, "Steve Sheldon"
<ssheldon...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>Ugh, reminds me of that Fight Club movie. :)

That is EXACTLY what I just thought too. :-)

Spuddie

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00
On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:13:34 -0500, Bill Seurer <seu...@us.ibm.com> a
rasorial rectrix roaring ramiferous riparians rode a ruderal rusma and
read:

>Spuddie wrote:
>> It's not really the meat and dairy that causes the problem. It's the
>> food you eat *with* the meat and dairy...sugar, starches, refined
>> flour products, and not enough veggies.
>

>It's the FAT in the meat and dairy products.

From my own personal experience (and the experience of many other
low-carbohydrate eaters) I would have to disagree with you.

I am on a low-carbohydrate diet. I have been eating basically meat,
fish, eggs, cheese, low-carb veggies and occasionally some berries and
nuts. I use heavy cream in my coffee. I don't trim the fat off my
t-bone steaks. I leave the skin on my chicken and consume it. I put
real butter on my broccoli and real, full-fat salad dressing on my
Chef's salad. I have bacon and eggs (fried in real butter) for
breakfast almost every day. The amount of calories I consume daily
(between 2500-3000 on average) is more than I've eaten in years.

Yet in six months, I lost 60 lbs without changing my exercising habits
at all. My total cholesterol and LDL ("bad") cholesterol has gone
down, as have my triglycerides. My HDL ("good") cholesterol has
improved, thus improving my HDL/LDL ratio too....in fact, it's way
above optimal, according to my doc. My blood sugar is under good
control and I no longer have to take any medication for my diabetes.
(That is the reason I started low-carbing, but the other benefits I've
seen from it are almost as impressive as the blood sugar control. BTW,
the blood sugar control came within a week of starting low-carb so it
had very little to do with my weight loss.) My blood pressure is
low-normal. Oh, and my kidney function tests are perfect...so no, all
that protein hasn't caused my kidneys to malfunction and rot, either.

What I *don't* eat is anything made with flour, starchy foods or
sugar, even 'natural' foods that have lots of sugar in them.

Unfortunately, much of the medical establishment (and even our own
government, in the form of the USDA with their stupid "Food Pyramid")
agrees with you that dietary fat is the problem. If they would go back
to their basic medical biochemistry textbooks, they'd understand that
their approach is wrong, that ingestion of dietary *fat* has little to
do with the body's production of cholesterol and other lipids, and
that they're treating symptoms rather than getting to the root of the
problem.

But there is a bright side: I'm a cardiac nurse and as long as doctors
and nutritionists keep pushing the low-fat/low-cholesterol/high-carb
Food Pyramid, I've got plenty of job security.

Cheryl
~~~I don't think the road to heaven is paved with bean curd~~~