BaoFeng vs the repeaters

1 view

Harry Johnson_

Jul 17, 2024, 4:06:57 PM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to Minnesota Amateur Radio Technical Society Discussion
Hi,

I have been following the Monday night repeater festivities for about a  year now, but I've been having issues in the last couple of months or so.

Signal would cut out more and more frequently and then it started just plain dropping  out for long periods of time -- sometimes briefly coming back, but often not.

I built a mighty 2 meter 1/4 wave vertical (pic attached). Construction is similar to the one I used to run in my car in the 70's. When I would hear signals they were quite good, but I still had the dropouts.  It's been the same on the deck or inside.

A few weeks ago I was listening to the Sunday night business for nearly an hour. Then somebody asked if the repeater power issues were over -- and bang my repeater listening was over.

I bought a second BF -- and from what I can tell I'm getting the same symptoms

Just wondering if there is anything going on -- or if it's just that my location was always marginal. I believe that my radios are OK -- they're nothing special, bu I believe that they're working.  Maybe I'll try a road trip.

Thanks,
Harry KF0MAB

IMG_20240717_143023.jpg

Phil Lefever

Jul 17, 2024, 4:44:44 PM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to mn-...@googlegroups.com
Harry,

Well you aren't really all that far from the repeater but I am unsure of the terrain of the path.  The indoor antenna is a hindrance, but your home brew 1/4wl antenna likely helps. Perhaps building a 5/8wl would fix the issue? A WA5VJB cheap yagi is super easy to build and they always work well.

The other advice I would give, based on 30 years of working on repeaters, is that HT's should only ever be used as HT's with their own antenna. In 1994 I started out with an HT which I ran at home and in the car. Once I bought my first actual mobile radio I was astounded at how much better everything got. More solid transmit power, less RX interference and better audio. Of course it is more of a commitment as you need a power supply and antenna, but I'd highly suggest replacing the HT with a proper mobile radio. When new hams ask what radio to buy I only ever suggest an HT if it will only be used handheld.

I do try to refrain from bashing the low cost China brand radios, but the few I have actually tested, challenge my resolve in that regard. Having had a couple on my spectrum analyzer, they certainly shouldn't be used on any antenna that radiates better than their stock antenna. Photo shows a comparison of an Icom vs a BaoFeng at 2w on the 147.21 input frequency.

73,

Phil, KBØNES
TCRC/WØBU Trustee

IMG_1307.JPG

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Minnesota Amateur Radio Technical Society Discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mn-arts/0812d439-89b5-46f7-a986-8ea768e36a52n%40googlegroups.com.

Harry Johnson

Jul 17, 2024, 7:25:05 PM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to mn-...@googlegroups.com
That certainly looks awful. Thanks for the info. I have been at such a loss because it worked pretty well at first.

73,

Harry KF0MAB