Today's meeting

Bob Liesen

Apr 6, 2024, 9:22:31 PMApr 6
to mn-...@googlegroups.com
Gang,
  A great turn out for our meeting today.  A couple of new faces (at least to me) and a great tour-de-force presentation by Mert W0UFO.  Lots of history and current technology discussed.  Thanks Mert!  Your drawings were wonderful!

  Also, I reported on my conversations with the Minnetonka Community Center regarding the increased cost of our room rental.  I shared a number of things that had been discussed at prior meetings, (reciprocal membership with the Minnetonka club, our long term relationship with the center etc.) to plead our case, but while I believe my contact was doing all she could to get us a break, the answer boiled down to "No, we can not reduce your rate".

  So, one option is to change our reservation to 1 - 3 P.M. instead of 1 - 4 P.M.  This would save us $15.00 per month.  Other thoughts were changing our meeting venue, but that investigation has not produced many viable options.

  I'm posting this to keep the extended membership up on the current status and gather any ideas you may have on this topic.

  Steve mentioned that he is looking for a presentation for our May meeting.  Any takers?
  A presentation does not need to be lengthy or challenge the current (forgive the pun) laws of physics, just something that you do, work on or like to talk about.
 73 everyone and hope to see you next month
Bob
WB0POQ

Chuck Stroud

Apr 6, 2024, 9:53:46 PMApr 6
to mn-...@googlegroups.com
And, this is the group that is interested in archiving our club newsletters that we discussed.

It is part of the archive.org group.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.  No decision has been made yet.

73 de chuck ka8hde

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Minnesota Amateur Radio Technical Society Discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mn-arts/CAO9_kpjcw%2BVU5KStbr2Zgm8AYTjk_NtuyRfW_5qByAUmYwU7ig%40mail.gmail.com.

Merton Nellis

Apr 7, 2024, 12:59:25 AMApr 7
to mn-...@googlegroups.com

Regarding todays meeting:  As I drove home from the meeting, I remembered some important points that I had accidentally skipped and I feel obligated to add these points to clarify what I said.  I mentioned decibels and how they were a power ration expressed as a logarithm but forgot to mention that to make this power ratio useful, it is necessary to make the ratio base known.  In electronics, one milliwatt is often used as the base for comparison and so designated by adding an “m” to dB as dBm.  So one Watt ( 1000 mW) would be by the formula   +30dBm = 10 log( 10^3).   1mW = 0 dBm and 10W = +40dBm   etc.

Relating this concept to an S meter, an S9 is defined as -73dBm.  Which comes from a 50 uV signal on a 50 Ohm receiver input driving the meter to S9. This amount of power is below 1mW thus the minus dBm value.  The sensitivity of the S meter is supposed to be such that each division is 6 dB.  If this is so, then S5 is about 24 dB below S9.  Also note that 5W (+37dBm) and 1000W (+60dBm) are 23dB apart which says that 1Kw reduced to 5W puts the S meter at S5, a usually readable CW signal if the noise is below S4.

The above is the main point I skipped.  Sorry.  It was great to see everyone at the meeting.   73  Mert  W0UFO

w0...@arrl.net

Chuck Stroud

Apr 7, 2024, 9:33:50 AMApr 7
to mn-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mert. It was an awesome presentation merging the history of radio and the history of W0UFO!  Thank you for sharing your ham radio journey with us - and your priceless drawings in your slides 😁

73 de Chuck ka8hde

Harry Johnson

Apr 7, 2024, 11:08:19 AMApr 7
to mn-...@googlegroups.com
I took a 2 minute tour and I think that the actual amateur library part was one I've visited before -- or not. There are a few places like that.

The raciest thing I notices was the February 1973 cover of 73 magazine -- featuring a YL in a bikini. I seem to remember that 73 covers were sometimes decorative, but nothing remotely suggestive.

It also had an article on using light bulbs to measure output power including a table of suggested wattages for various  outputs. So incandescent tuning was still alive and well.

It seems to be a huge site featuring amateur radio, music, and various other archives. How they manage to afford this I don't know, although I'm sure that donations are welcome.

Just my $.02
Harry KF0MAB

ulr...@comcast.net

Apr 7, 2024, 12:38:08 PMApr 7
to mn-...@googlegroups.com
Mert,

Thank you for a great presentation. I really enjoyed it!!

Steven Ulrich
2401 123rd Circle NW
Coon Rapids, MN 55448