A little news and a request

Harry Johnson_

May 14, 2024, 12:44:52 PMMay 14
to Minnesota Amateur Radio Technical Society Discussion
Hi,
Just a quick note. I've slightly upgraded my mangled 20 m dipole with a balun that "Professor Coilantenna" (Mert Nellis) gave me.
 - RFI meter readings down
 - SWR lower and clatter ~1.1 or less across the band
 - Very little Z  -- almost all resistive
 - preliminary WSPR test says it still works

And a request. I want to get a W11 laptop for ham stuff only - WSJTX, LOTW, etc. Plus any apps to help calculate this or that. Please comment if you have/know of one that might be a good choice.

Thanks and 73,

Harry KF0MAB

Cena Mayo

May 14, 2024, 6:41:22 PMMay 14
to Minnesota Amateur Radio Technical Society Discussion
Hi Harry!

Does it need to be W11?  If not, you can't beat this price ($80!):

It's Windows 10 only, though.

However, there is a hack to be able to upgrade to 11 (although now I can't find it again - will post if I do.)

Best,

Cena
KY1V

Cena Mayo

May 14, 2024, 6:42:40 PMMay 14
to Minnesota Amateur Radio Technical Society Discussion
Also:

> I've slightly upgraded my mangled 20 m dipole with a balun that "Professor Coilantenna" (Mert Nellis) gave me.

This sounds like a presentation. :D

Harry Johnson

May 15, 2024, 11:46:41 AMMay 15
to mn-...@googlegroups.com
The only reason I want W11 is to keep antivirus (Defender) and to keep from bring shut down when N$ stops support for W10.

That probably would be a good, if minimal, choice.

Thanks,

Also --  my updates to the antenna might make a show and tell -- not enough to inflict on the poor folks who come to meetings for more than that :)

hj

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Minnesota Amateur Radio Technical Society Discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mn-arts/9475e46a-1e21-47c7-a5f9-82c503dde0a4n%40googlegroups.com.