IMac migration

1 view

GEORGE MCGUINNESS

Aug 17, 2023, 3:28:57 PM8/17/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I need help with the migration from my two IMacs one is running High Sierra 10.13.6 mid mid2011 memory 12gb, and iMac 10.15.7 late 2013. Version, I did the migration but some of the apps won’t work and they show a round circle on top of the icons, can anybody help me some idea of what has gone wrong with the process.
George

Sent from my iPad

GEORGE MCGUINNESS

Aug 17, 2023, 3:30:45 PM8/17/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com

Rick Squires

Aug 17, 2023, 3:32:54 PM8/17/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
What are you trying to migrate them onto? If it’s an Apple Silicon Mac you need to enable Rosetta. Also, if they are 32 bit apps they will not run in anything later than Mojave

Sent from my iPad

> On 17 Aug 2023, at 20:28, 'GEORGE MCGUINNESS' via MMUG Chat <mmug...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
> I need help with the migration from my two IMacs one is running High Sierra 10.13.6 mid mid2011 memory 12gb, and iMac 10.15.7 late 2013. Version, I did the migration but some of the apps won’t work and they show a round circle on top of the icons, can anybody help me some idea of what has gone wrong with the process.
> George
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> --
> --
> MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MMUG Chat" group.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mmug-chat/6A98C180-D77D-4BC2-902C-3B016F94C930%40aol.com.

GEORGE MCGUINNESS

Aug 18, 2023, 4:58:29 AM8/18/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick, Do you know if I can get get hold of a bootable pen drive with Mojave and I’ll be satisfied with that as most of my apps will run with it.
Thanks George

Sent from my iPad

> On 17 Aug 2023, at 20:32, Rick Squires <squire...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What are you trying to migrate them onto? If it’s an Apple Silicon Mac you need to enable Rosetta. Also, if they are 32 bit apps they will not run in anything later than Mojave
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mmug-chat/7042C075-55F3-4137-83B6-78B1D61995F6%40gmail.com.

Gmail

Aug 18, 2023, 5:06:43 AM8/18/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
You can download it from the App Store I believe. Instructions for making a bootable installer are freely available.
You basically quit the installer and then run a command line tool. Here’s a starting point for downloading the installer
Plug it in.  Reboot and hold down the Option key. You will get a choice of boot disks. Pick the USB, hit return and away you go

Rick
Sent from my iPhone

On 18 Aug 2023, at 09:58, 'GEORGE MCGUINNESS' via MMUG Chat <mmug...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi Rick, Do you know if I can get get hold of a bootable pen drive with Mojave and I’ll be satisfied with that as most of my apps will run with it.

not a droid

Aug 19, 2023, 8:44:00 AM8/19/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
George,
For the apps that don’t work head to the makers site (or the App Store) to see if they have a supported version for that newer OS. You may need to check the support page for older compatible versions.

For installing you need to download the Mac OS installer from the Mac App Store. It will need to be in your past purchases to be available (or the latest release should be shown for purchase).

If the Mac originally shipped with Mojave you may be able to restore via recovery mode. It should download the original OS but you need to erase the disk & boot into internet recovery mode as far as I can recall. I don’t know what OS your models shipped with. Hold Option-Command-R at startup - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchl338cf9a8/mac  Do you have any backups at all? If so what kind?

Sorry I don’t think you can just get an 'OS on a stick’ unless Apple have changed their licence etc. The installer has the Apple ID tied to it.

If you are really stuck try a genus bar appointment maybe?

Drew