Mac Mini

Steve Burt

Dec 28, 2023, 7:25:54 AM12/28/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Following excellent advice from this group several years ago I switched from an iMac (dec’d) to a Mac Mini.

Although a bit dated, I got a late 2012 version as it allowed me to easily upgrade it to 16GB RAM and an internal 2TB SSD hard drive. All future Mac Minis (to the best of my knowledge) no longer offer such flexible hardware upgrade paths.

It runs OS 10.15.7 Catalina and will not allow anything later. Not in itself a problem but recently a WhatsApp upgrade refused to work and I think the “writing is on the wall”.

I’ve just looked at the Apple shop and a new Mac Mini M2 costs £649. That seems reasonable until you add £200 to upgrade it from 8GB to 16GB and a further £800 to upgrade from 256GB to 2TB

I see a 2TB Crucial SSD is under £100 at Amazon so this seems steep to me.

So my questions are:

1.. Are there any problems using a basic spec Mac Mini M2 with a 2TB external drive so it runs the operating system on its internal 256GB and has all my data/apps on the external drive? I’m not brave enough to keep all my data in the cloud.

2.. Will the RAM upgrade to 16GB make much difference?

3.. If no to both, why does anyone pay the extra?

Season greetings and kind regards to you all!

Steve Burt

Neill Milton

Dec 28, 2023, 7:59:43 AM12/28/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Try Hoxton. I bought a 1tb ssd M1 with 16gb ram for £900 a year or so ago from them. Mint condition, great service, massive saving.

On 28 Dec 2023, at 12:25, Steve Burt <st...@3mph.co.uk> wrote:

MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MMUG Chat" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mmug-chat/86FD229E-18D9-4878-BA77-4A7FA752A615%403mph.co.uk.

Patrick Neame

Dec 28, 2023, 9:33:35 AM12/28/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com