Missing information during iPhone replacement

1 view

Stephen Burt

Aug 24, 2023, 6:06:44 AM8/24/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
This isn’t a problem I’ve faced but a friend was recently looking for a “note” on her iPhone that she was convinced she’d made a while back. She then remembered she’d changed her iPhone to a newer model since. She thought the new ‘phone should have a full copy of everything on the old one. By inserting her SIM card into the old ‘phone (and to her relief), she found the missing note and saved the day.
Looking deeper she found there were iCal dates that had also not been transferred.

Can anyone suggest why this might have happened and better still, is there a way of adding those missing Notes and iCal data to the new ‘phone without compromising existing data?

Steve

William Fuggle

Aug 24, 2023, 12:09:35 PM8/24/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com

For Notes she probably had this Note saved to iPhone rather than iCloud. Could she have set up new iPhone with restore from iCloud option. See attached pic of my Notes folder setup and see I have no Notes in iPhone folder. On old iPhone she could move note to iCloud folder (go into Note, tap … and choose move & move it to iCloud)

Bill

image0.png

Stephen Burt

Aug 24, 2023, 3:27:46 PM8/24/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for getting back to me Bill and I’m sure you’re right, it seems the note was held on the iPhone but not backed up to iCloud. I’ve just checked mine and like your, all are on iCloud too. I think it should be possible to get those missing ones uploaded as you suggest. I’ll see if that’s what she wants to do when I next speak to her. I fear iCal is another matter and perhaps it might be easier to manually update the missing entries?
Thanks again. S

On 24 Aug 2023, at 17:09, 'William Fuggle' via MMUG Chat <mmug...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

For Notes she probably had this Note saved to iPhone rather than iCloud. Could she have set up new iPhone with restore from iCloud option. See attached pic of my Notes folder setup and see I have no Notes in iPhone folder. On old iPhone she could move note to iCloud folder (go into Note, tap … and choose move & move it to iCloud)

Bill

MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MMUG Chat" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mmug-chat/5ACFD9B7-3458-4EBC-B4B3-129A4C4003D9%40mac.com.
<image0.png>
On 24 Aug 2023, at 11:06, Stephen Burt <stev...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Dilip Rathod

Aug 24, 2023, 4:42:48 PM8/24/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com

Another way of transferring from iPhone to iPhone is iMazing.

It’s also good for backing up your iPhone to your Mac rather than iCloud.

https://imazing.com

Dilip.

Stephen Burt

Aug 25, 2023, 2:40:35 AM8/25/23
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Dilip, I’ll suggest it and might even use it myself!
Steve

<image0.png>
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mmug-chat/EAFC666D-0099-4C28-A9EF-21DBD886C171%40gmail.com.