Got nuthin'....

Alasdair Lawrance

Mar 26, 2024, 6:17:50 AMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com, Mr Alasdair Lawrance
I haven't had any updates since December '23.

Has no-one got anything to say?

Alasdair Lawrance
alawr...@me.com

Don’t blame me, I voted Remain.

Dilip Rathod

Mar 26, 2024, 6:23:22 AMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com, Mr Alasdair Lawrance

Hi Alasdair 😊

Dilip.

MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MMUG Chat" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mmug-chat/AB798B66-D60D-4D9C-821C-B7AA66DF1E4C%40me.com.

Ben

Mar 26, 2024, 6:37:07 AMMar 26
to MMUG Chat
It has been quiet here.

Happy New Year!

🥳

Robert Sharl

Mar 26, 2024, 6:39:19 AMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Hi both, and all you other lurkers too!

It’s actually nice to see something pop into the mailbox from the MMUGers, and makes a pleasant change from all of the junk mail that other lists seem to send out.

I was just thinking about the MMUG last week, and how much has changed in the world of Mac since this list and the old meetings started. It would be great to hear some stories about the journey we’ve all been on, and what different folk are up to these days.

Maybe we should gather some of these stories together—how long has the list/group been in existence now?

Robert

Sent from my iPad

Dilip Rathod

Mar 26, 2024, 6:58:14 AMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com

“Maybe we should gather some of these stories together—how long has the list/group been in existence now?”

Must be 20 years now ?

Dilip.

Gmail

Mar 26, 2024, 7:03:11 AMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I guess it’s all ‘just working’😊
Sent from my iPhone

Ben

Mar 26, 2024, 7:05:27 AMMar 26
to MMUG Chat
mmug.org.uk was registered on 27th Feb 2002, so yeah it has been a while.

I have no idea what Mac I was using in 2002, possibly something G4 based. I'm now on a Mac Studio - that's quite a difference!

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 11.03.24.png

Dilip Rathod

Mar 26, 2024, 7:16:09 AMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com

I think my daily driver then was one of these – PowerBook G4 Titanium – “An elegant weapon for a more civilized age." 😊

Dilip.

From: 'Ben' via MMUG Chat <mmug...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, 26 March 2024 at 11:05
AM
To: MMUG Chat <mmug...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [MMUG] Got nuthin'....

mmug.org.uk was registered on 27th Feb 2002, so yeah it has been a while.

I have no idea what Mac I was using in 2002, possibly something G4 based. I'm now on a Mac Studio - that's quite a difference!

Robert Sharl

Mar 26, 2024, 7:28:10 AMMar 26
to MMUG Mailing List

On 26 Mar 2024, at 11:16, Dilip Rathod <di...@nativesystems.co.uk> wrote:

I think my daily driver then was one of these – PowerBook G4 Titanium – “An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.”
😊

Lovely!  I’d moved pretty much fully portable with the 1999 PowerBook G3 (that still works!) and then moved through the second-gen (white) iBook and eventually onto the PBG4 12” in 2003. Back in my studio at the Custard Factory I was still running a bunch of PowerMac G4s (graphite ones, with a blue+white LCD Studio Display) and a couple of iMac DV models.

These days I’m also a Mac Studio user (M1 Ultra and Studio Display), and very happy with it!

Robert

David Cooper

Mar 26, 2024, 8:36:39 AMMar 26
to mmug-chat@googlegroups.com Midlands Mac User Group
I had a PowerBook G4 Titanium followed by a Mac Book Pro. The batterie in both lasted long enough to be no longer available from Apple.

Regards. Dave Cooper.
MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MMUG Chat" group.

Jack Moore

Mar 26, 2024, 1:31:56 PMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Hi there good to see some posts! I was first introduced to Macs around 2006 when my daughter went to study Art at Goldsmiths and told me to I had to buy her a Mac. I was incredulous but gave in of course! But I carried on with my Dell until it crashed in 2008 and I lost all my data. Not great for a nascent business! So after a few ‘ told you sos ‘ I got my first Mac and I joined the group.
In those days Macs ‘couldn’t be hacked’
Basically there not enough around. That’s all changed now so we have to pay for Malwarebytes, VPNs etc to keep us safe. That’s ok with me but I wish Apple would focus less on cosmetic features with their too numerous OS updates Regards
jack

On 26 Mar 2024, at 12:36, 'David Cooper' via MMUG Chat <mmug...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I had a PowerBook G4 Titanium followed by a Mac Book Pro. The batterie in both lasted long enough to be no longer available from Apple.

Gmail

Mar 26, 2024, 1:39:56 PMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I’ve got an old iMac that can only run Snow Leopard. I fire it up occasionally to remind myself what a stable OS looks like. One that works and doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that most people don’t use
Sent from my iPhone

On 26 Mar 2024, at 17:31, Jack Moore <ja...@jackmoore.net> wrote:

Hi there good to see some posts! I was first introduced to Macs around 2006 when my daughter went to study Art at Goldsmiths and told me to I had to buy her a Mac. I was incredulous but gave in of course! But I carried on with my Dell until it crashed in 2008 and I lost all my data. Not great for a nascent business! So after a few ‘ told you sos ‘ I got my first Mac and I joined the group.

Robert Sharl

Mar 26, 2024, 1:44:44 PMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com

> On 26 Mar 2024, at 17:40, Gmail <squire...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve got an old iMac that can only run Snow Leopard. I fire it up occasionally to remind myself what a stable OS looks like. One that works and doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that most people don’t use

While I very much like (and use) the latest system updates, Snow Leopard certainly has a special place in my heart! The last version to ship on a disk, I recently saw a pristine boxed and unopened copy for £20..

I’m finding Sonoma pretty stable and very useful. Seems we’re in the stability+polish phase again, for now. Let’s hope it lasts!

Robert

Gmail

Mar 26, 2024, 1:57:08 PMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Unless you’re running Java(my printer app uses that and stopped working. Hopefully fixed in 14.4.1
Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Mar 2024, at 17:44, 'Robert Sharl' via MMUG Chat <mmug...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> --
> --
> MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MMUG Chat" group.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mmug-chat/CD29871C-068B-471C-8029-6A6DE4E58B5D%40mac.com.

Robert Sharl

Mar 26, 2024, 2:05:59 PMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com

> On 26 Mar 2024, at 17:57, Gmail <squire...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Unless you’re running Java(my printer app uses that and stopped working. Hopefully fixed in 14.4.1

Argh! I despair that printer makers are using Java apps in 2024, but I feel for you.

Gmail

Mar 26, 2024, 2:22:21 PMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
It’s an old Brother colour printer. I can use the printers and scanners panel in settings to do most things so it’s not terminal. Amd it works fine after the update
Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Mar 2024, at 18:05, 'Robert Sharl' via MMUG Chat <mmug...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

>> On 26 Mar 2024, at 17:57, Gmail <squire...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Unless you’re running Java(my printer app uses that and stopped working. Hopefully fixed in 14.4.1
>
> Argh! I despair that printer makers are using Java apps in 2024, but I feel for you.
>
> --
> --
> MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MMUG Chat" group.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mmug-chat/03BA00C4-FA0C-48E1-AE66-B15CBC3219E8%40mac.com.

Richard Turnbull

Mar 26, 2024, 4:30:40 PMMar 26
to MMUG
Well, what a flurry of news and reminiscence. My wife started with a Mac laptop in about 2008, which fixed the problems with me being asked endlessly for technical fixes on her PC. I started with an iMac in 2010 and have not looked back. Currently just with a MacBook Air 2018 and finding it beginning to run out of steam - mainly not enough memory - only 8Gb. More problems coming from my wife's machine recently but then if you are on the 103rd new document on Word, I would expect it to begin to forget where it’s stack is kept. Mac stability good.

Richard
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mmug-chat/41DC9FE4-9CD2-4DF8-A1B6-D43088D07DA3%40gmail.com.

Patrick Neame

Mar 26, 2024, 4:49:37 PMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Mac Quadra 800 around 1993/94.

Patrick Neame

> On 26 Mar 2024, at 20:30, 'Richard Turnbull' via MMUG Chat <mmug...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Well, what a flurry of news and reminiscence. My wife started with a Mac laptop in about 2008, which fixed the problems with me being asked endlessly for technical fixes on her PC. I started with an iMac in 2010 and have not looked back. Currently just with a MacBook Air 2018 and finding it beginning to run out of steam - mainly not enough memory - only 8Gb. More problems coming from my wife's machine recently but then if you are on the 103rd new document on Word, I would expect it to begin to forget where it’s stack is kept. Mac stability good.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mmug-chat/FA3B961F-C264-4D15-93F9-C7EFBE8E0D27%40me.com.

Benjamin Stanley

Mar 26, 2024, 5:38:28 PMMar 26
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Oh I loved the Quadra series

My dad remortgaged the house to buy a desk, video camera and a Quadra 840AV with Geoport (modem) back in 1993 - that was the first year of Trilby! I think he may have bought it from Dilip 😃

Before that, we’d been an LCII home and way back to Mac Plus with many in between.

The Quadra 840 had a long life, for quite a while it ran becomm.net a Birmingham Electronic Community bulletin board…. wow the things we got up to eh!

Patrick Neame

Mar 26, 2024, 5:48:26 PMMar 26
to Midland Mac User Group
We were at the cutting edge of the digital revolution in photography at the Birmingham Post and Mail. In 1993 we were still shooting film but scanning to the Quadras, then in 1995/96 we got digital SLRs, a huge brick of electronics attached to a Nikon.

Dilip Rathod

Mar 27, 2024, 5:26:38 AMMar 27
to mmug...@googlegroups.com

In 1993, I was working at The Apple Education Centre (for Second City Systems) based in The Students Guild at Aston Uni.

Yes, I think you did buy it from me – I recall a teenage Ben Stanley coming in with Tony !

Speaking of Mac LC (Elsie) series, I had a client call me several years ago wanting to buy another Mac from me. There was nothing wrong with the LC475 that he’d bought from me 17 years earlier and it was still in daily use ! He was an author so only used it for writing in ClarisWorks/AppleWorks and nothing else.

A Jazz musician client came to see me yesterday and still uses his MacBook Pro 17” that he bought from me 16 years ago – he uses it for an older version of Logic.

A few weeks ago, a printer client rang me up to say that his Mac Pro (cheesegrater) still in daily use had a fuzzy screen. The one he bought from me 16 years ago ! ‘is it still under warranty ?’ he jokingly asked. A new £99 video card and it was working fine again.

So what is the oldest Mac that you know of in daily use ?

Dilip.

From: 'Benjamin Stanley' via MMUG Chat <mmug...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, 26 March 2024 at 9:38
PM
To: mmug...@googlegroups.com <mmug...@googlegroups.com>

Oh I loved the Quadra series

My dad remortgaged the house to buy a desk, video camera and a Quadra 840AV with Geoport (modem) back in 1993 - that was the first year of Trilby! I think he may have bought it from Dilip 😃

Before that, we’d been an LCII home and way back to Mac Plus with many in between.

The Quadra 840 had a long life, for quite a while it ran becomm.net a Birmingham Electronic Community bulletin board…. wow the things we got up to eh!

eeBfPdm2eoBKnHEAAAAASUVORK5CYII=