Re: Online May Day fundraising

kirby urner

Feb 28, 2015, 3:12:20 AM2/28/15
to mayda...@googlegroups.com, Robert Izatt

Excellent, I'm impressed!  I had not heard of most of these myself, only Kickstarter.

On the topic of MayDayPDX.org the web domain, which we recently registered, I think if we want to back that up with a 501(c)(3), Voz would be good.

I was thinking:  Facebook, Blog, Website, Twitter as a "core four" we could fire up every year.

The website could maybe stay simple:  the artwork / theme for the year (we have that already, Rise Up in Solidarity this year), and logos from sponsors.

We know a lot of our sponsors in solidarity don't have any big bucks to help out but we want them included for sure anyway on the website if they're willing to support our goals and campaigns (what "solidarity" means).

I know 350pdx did something like this, getting money from my Quaker meeting to help fund the Peoples Climate March, with our "Environmental Education Committee" given name credit in return.

I was involved with that as a photographer and in getting our two Dove Puppets in the limelight (Friends worked hard on those). [1]

You'll find my pictures under Links | Kirby's at our:  http://multnomah-climate.com/doku.php

Kirby Urner

(not suggesting we're doing the same issues, however I do like the idea of a follow-up video or more for the website eventually).

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 11:33 PM, Robert Izatt <izatt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Gofundme
Geared towards personal expenses - medical bills, education costs, volunteer costs, but can be used for pretty much anything
Most projects do not offer rewards
7.9% + $0.30 per donation fee, or 9.25% for nonprofit projects
No deadlines or goal requirements
Unlimited duration
Withdrawals take 5-7 business days

Kickstarter
Specifically for creative projects
Must meet a required goal deadline to receive funds
Rewards option available - something related to or made by the project
5% fee on total amount raised if goal is met + 3-5% processing fee
Duration of 30 - 60 days
Disbursement takes 14 days after goal is met

Indiegogo
Can be used for almost anything
No required goal-deadline
9% initial fee (5% returned if goal is met) + 3% processing fee (not including credit card or PayPal fees)
Rewards option available ("perks")
Duration upto 40 days
PayPal donations are disbursed immediately
Credit card donations can take upto two weeks after a campaign ends

I also researched another one called RocketHub after reading an article comparing GoFundMe, Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and RocketHub.

RocketHub
Can be used for most things
No required goal-deadline
4% fee if goal is met; 8% fee if goal is not met + 4% payment processing fee
Rewards option available ("Goods")
Duration of 30 - 75 days
Disbursement begins the first Friday after a project ends, 5 - 10 business days after that to receive funds

kirby urner

Feb 28, 2015, 7:55:16 PM2/28/15
to mayda...@googlegroups.com
I was involved with that as a photographer and in getting our two Dove Puppets in the limelight (Friends worked hard on those). [1]

You'll find my pictures under Links | Kirby's at our:  http://multnomah-climate.com/doku.php

Kirby Urner

Speaking of which:

I'll see if Multnomah Friends have any interest in having their new dove puppets participate in May Day.

We often have individuals marching, but will they want their banner and logo displayed?  I don't see why not.

Militarism, and the budgetary priorities it implies, are what keeps

(a) our working people poor (social programs back burner)
(b) our safety net (includuing retraining) full of holes (meaning more people
caught in dead in end jobs or jobs for which they're unsuited -- e.g. lots of
police and prison guards stuck doing work they hate) and
(c) forced into the only real large scale jobs program this nation funds:  its military.

Plus militarism is what's turning our borders into another militarized zone based on unthinking "policies".

Bring on those Dove Puppets!  The more march-worthy puppets the merrier.  Even floats would be good but those are harder to make.

Kirby

kirby.urner

Mar 2, 2015, 10:28:04 PM3/2/15
to mmm...@googlegroups.com

I forget if I shared this already, probably so.  Last call for any postings.  Gonna seal this puppy shortly.  Good experiment, learned a lot.

I'm impressed by Google's implementation of the listserv concept and am definitely considering using it again for other Quaker works.

Kirby

[ forwarding from mayday-2015, another Google listserv where I'm on the planning committee ]