Can I config MMM use two network interfaces on each agent and masters?

sissi

Sep 22, 2011, 1:28:13 AM9/22/11
to MySQL Multi Master Manager Development
Hi,

Can I config MMM use two network interfaces on each agent and masters?

each my mysql servers has two network interfaces which belongs to two
sub-nets, and i have two groups of web servers,each group connect to
mysql servers via different sub-net, in this case, how should I config
my MMM.

Istvan Podor

Sep 22, 2011, 2:55:55 AM9/22/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I'm sorry to tell, but this is not supported by mmm. The two thing you can do is:
1: patch mmm to handle this.
2: Set up a balancer or something (LVS) as a gateway

Istvan

sissi

Sep 22, 2011, 3:30:50 AM9/22/11
to MySQL Multi Master Manager Development
Hi Istvan,

thanks for reply, in this case, is it feasible to set two MMM clusters
but actually the mysql servers are the same, but different group of
ips .

like say: first cluster set "cluster interface" use eth0, the second
cluster set "cluster interface" use eth1.

-sissi

Mike!

Sep 22, 2011, 3:34:24 AM9/22/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
On 09/22/2011 09:30 AM, sissi wrote:
> Hi Istvan,
>
> thanks for reply, in this case, is it feasible to set two MMM clusters
> but actually the mysql servers are the same, but different group of
> ips .
>
> like say: first cluster set "cluster interface" use eth0, the second
> cluster set "cluster interface" use eth1.
>
> -sissi

Hi,

I was facing the same problem. My writer role has two ip's, one
external, and an internal (non routable ip), that are configured on
different physical interfaces.

I cuold not find a way to achieve this using the standard Debian MMM
packages, so I patches MMM, to make it work, and it has been running for
a couple of months now (no guarantee whatsoever though).

If anyone is interested in the patches, please let me know.

Mike

Istvan Podor

Sep 22, 2011, 3:36:34 AM9/22/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
Sissi,

That's possbile, although REALLY risky. You can setup two clusters, running two instance of mmm mon and agent. But you can imagine what it's like to have two app trying to manage the same servers. Although if you really wanna go with this (and it's really not and not recommended), you can create separate users to separate clusters (mmm clusters what I mean here) and don't grant all the privileges on one of the clusters.

This could work, although once more, not recommended.

Istvan

Walter Heck

Sep 22, 2011, 3:36:50 AM9/22/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
No, that would be a very bad idea. Consider one of the network
interfaces to one of yoiur masters failing. MMM would move away one of
the master roles to the other master, while the other stayed there.
Now you're writing to two different masters, cuasing all sorts of
mayhem..

Walter

--
Walter Heck

--
follow @walterheck on twitter to see what I'm up to!

Marcus Bointon

Sep 22, 2011, 4:00:33 AM9/22/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
On 22 Sep 2011, at 08:55, Istvan Podor wrote:

> 2: Set up a balancer or something (LVS) as a gateway

I'd definitely go this route; it's really not mmm's job to deal with this. Something like pound or haproxy would do nicely.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info@hand CRM solutions