using a single VIP for all reads and writes?

shashank

Apr 12, 2011, 8:28:33 PM4/12/11
to MySQL Multi Master Manager Development
Hello Folks,

I currently have a master/master Mysql replication setup. All the
reads and writes are happening from master01.

I am trying to find out if there is an issue if i only use a single
VIP for my reads and writes. So a single VIP that just moves around
when the other server stops responding. All the examples i have seen
online for master/master setup suggests to use 3 VIPS, one for write
and two for reads.

we do not have a need to split our reads and writes and would like to
avoid that for now. in my mmm_common.conf i haven't added anything
for <role reader> and my mmm_control show looks like this

db-master-01(10.179.101.20) master/ONLINE. Roles:
writer(10.179.105.111)
db-slave-01(10.179.101.111) master/ONLINE. Roles:

Do you guys see any issue with this kind of setup. Any help is
appreciated.

Thanks1

-shashank

sissi

Apr 13, 2011, 2:50:53 AM4/13/11
to MySQL Multi Master Manager Development
Hi shashank,

i don't think there's any big problem with your setting.

mmm still can move roles.

i don't know why you don't want to set reader role, if you just want
to save ip addresses, you can use 192.168.10.X as reader ips.

Hope this can help

Regards,

Sissi

Tom

Apr 13, 2011, 2:43:16 AM4/13/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
It's absolutely fine to do that :)

Tom.

shashank <spra...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello Folks,
>
>I currently have a master/master Mysql replication setup. All the
>reads and writes are happening from master01.
>
>I am trying to find out if there is an issue if i only use a single
>VIP for my reads and writes. So a single VIP that just moves around
>when the other server stops responding. All the examples i have seen
>online for master/master setup suggests to use 3 VIPS, one for write
>and two for reads.
>
>we do not have a need to split our reads and writes and would like to
>avoid that for now. in my mmm_common.conf i haven't added anything
>for <role reader> and my mmm_control show looks like this
>
> db-master-01(10.179.101.20) master/ONLINE. Roles:
>writer(10.179.105.111)
> db-slave-01(10.179.101.111) master/ONLINE. Roles:
>
>Do you guys see any issue with this kind of setup. Any help is
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks1
>
>-shashank

Marcus Bointon

Apr 13, 2011, 3:33:17 AM4/13/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
On 13 Apr 2011, at 02:28, shashank wrote:

> db-master-01(10.179.101.20) master/ONLINE. Roles:
> writer(10.179.105.111)
> db-slave-01(10.179.101.111) master/ONLINE. Roles:
>
> Do you guys see any issue with this kind of setup. Any help is
> appreciated.

I've run things that way for a few years, it works just fine. I'm not interesting in read splitting as I run into trouble with replication lag.

Marcus

shantanuo

Apr 19, 2011, 4:49:33 AM4/19/11
to MySQL Multi Master Manager Development
I am using both, write and reader role. But I want to use a single
master. Should I use "set_offline" or "set_passive" command?

-- Shantanu