How does MMM Create the virtual IP Addresses?

Prof Falken

Jun 14, 2011, 6:59:41 AM6/14/11
to MySQL Multi Master Manager Development
Hi all,

I'm new to MySQL MMM (but not to MySQL multi-master replication etc)
and having successfully setup and testing MySQL-MMM I'm reasonably
confident that it will do everything I need it to.

I do have one issue however and that is that I don't appear to be able
to see where/how the Virtual IP Addresses are created.

I'm used to seeing eth0:1 or similar on each server with a VIP,
however under MMM the requests are routed correctly but I can't see
how!

Can someone please explain this to me so that I can implement this
without being accused of ARP Poisoning by my Network Manager? ;)

Thanks,

Matt

martín arrieta

Jun 14, 2011, 8:45:55 AM6/14/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
Try

# ip address show

Martin.

Walter Heck

Jun 14, 2011, 9:09:37 AM6/14/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
it's 'ip addr show' on debian at least :)

2011/6/14 martín arrieta <nec...@gmail.com>:

--
Walter Heck

--
follow @walterheck on twitter to see what I'm up to!

martín arrieta

Jun 14, 2011, 9:19:38 AM6/14/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
From the "man ip" page:

(...)The names of all objects may be written in full  or  abbreviated  form,
       f.e.  address is abbreviated as addr or just a.

Also.. you can use "ip a s" .

Walter Heck

Jun 14, 2011, 9:28:47 AM6/14/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
/me checks "learning something new" off of today's todo-list ;)

sissi

Jun 14, 2011, 10:34:53 PM6/14/11
to MySQL Multi Master Manager Development
Hi Matt,

Is your MMM working well, one possible reason is got ip address
conflict,the virtual ip address is using by another server.

so you can not see on both masters.

Hope it can help.

-sissi

sissi

Jun 14, 2011, 10:37:13 PM6/14/11

On Jun 14, 9:28 pm, Walter Heck <walterh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> /me checks "learning something new" off of today's todo-list ;)
>
> 2011/6/14 martín arrieta <necr...@gmail.com>:
>

> > From the "man ip" page:
> > (...)The names of all objects may be written in full  or  abbreviated  form,
> >        f.e.  address is abbreviated as addr or just a.
> > Also.. you can use "ip a s" .
>
> > On 14 June 2011 10:09, Walter Heck <walterh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> it's 'ip addr show' on debian at least :)

> Check out my new startup: Server Monitoring as a Service @http://tribily.com

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace

Jun 15, 2011, 1:58:51 AM6/15/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I found out why I can't see the ip address using the traditional
"ifconfig" tool (serves me right for using legacy software I guess!).

The IP Address is injected into the ARP Table (presumably by
broadcasting or sending a gratuitous arp - I've not checked the code
yet!) and therefore ifconfig doesn't recognise it.

Thanks for all the pointers,

Matt

Tom Boland

Jun 15, 2011, 3:36:12 AM6/15/11
to mmm-...@googlegroups.com
I think that the problem with ifconfig is more that it can only see
alias IPs on an interface, the ones suffixes like eth0:1 up to
eth0:254. The ip utility from iproute2 is much more powerful, and I'd
recommend spending some time getting to know it, as it can do all your
ip address config, routing, tunnelling and arp in one utility!

I haven't looked at the code in mmm either, but you could bring up a VIP
manually doing something like this (assuming your gateway is 192.168.2.1):

ip addr add 192.168.2.20/32 dev eth0
arping -c 2 -U -I eth0 -s 192.168.2.20 192.168.2.1

That will add the VIP to eth0, and then do a gratuitous ARP directed at
the gateway, announcing that you are ready to take traffic for 192.168.2.20.

Tom.