LibreOffice Training in NCIT

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Mar 26, 2011, 12:12:33 AM3/26/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

May be some of you might have known, we have been given an offer by NCIT to train Government IT staff LibreOffice, a 2 day training, more like a quick start with a practical session.

I was unable to attend last night IRC meeting, so thought of posting the LibreOffice Training materials in the making in the mailing list for comments and suggestions.

So go through these files, the tentative Agenda, Introduction to LibreOffice, Writer and Calc work-through.

Since the training is scheduled for this Tuesday appreciate if you can send your comments and suggestions by Sunday.

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan
LO3-Calc.odp
LO3-Introduction.odp
TENTATIVE AGENDA.odt
LO3-Writer.odp

Ahmed Ibrahim

Mar 26, 2011, 10:13:17 AM3/26/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sunan,

just a couple of suggestions based on the contents of the slides, maybe you might have planned to mention the following while you are presenting...
  • when giving the introduction about LO, i think it would be worthwhile to mention about OpenOffice, and how LO came into existence, and highlight on the licensing issues that were involved due to the Oracle take over of the company... because OO is still more well known and familiar among most people, and if this is mentioned, it would boost the credibility of LO. We know that LO almost the same as OO, coz mostly its the same guys developing it... however the new audience in the training room will not know this.
  • another thing the audience would expect to see is how well it can handle dhivehi. While you have mentioned about this and highlighted how to enable this, some actual examples of dhivehi in the Writer presentation may be useful.
  • as you may and should expect, there will be a lot of people who will be very skeptical of LO, and would look at every possible angle to trash it and make comparisons with Ms Office. The fact of the matter is LO is still far behind Ms Office in terms of functionality and usability among other aspects. Having said that, I think you should embrace such limitations and differences and show to the audience that they are both different. In doing so, I think it may be worthwhile to mention somewhere in the end of the presentation about common issues that users may face such as some font rendering issues, page layout issues, etc. Just yesterday I installed LO on my Mac, and noticed that the default thaana font were not able to show the lower vowels such as ibiili, eebeefili. However was fixed when i changed the font to Faruma. So maybe such examples can be included.
hmm... i know the comments were a bit lengthy, but hope that helps.

all the best in the presentation... i think after the presentation, I might arrange a similar presentation for FMC students if you have time...:P

cheers
ahmed

--
Maldives Open Source Society (MOSS)

Malikdhadha

Mar 26, 2011, 11:53:31 AM3/26/11
to Maldivian Linux User Group
Let me know the time and place of the meeting i might be able to go
there and help you out............if it is after 1.00 in the afternoon
i should be free.....provided there are no other extra meetings in
dharumavantha school

Ismail Aiman Hassan

Mar 26, 2011, 3:58:22 PM3/26/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
i guess the presentation is done quit well... if its bein presented to IT ppl then i think they will b able to understand on it. and apply it.... if u nyd any help in presenting to gov ppl just mail up wil b there to help u guys out...

regards

Aiman

rhipha

Mar 29, 2011, 12:44:33 PM3/29/11
to Maldivian Linux User Group
nice to hear abt MOSS on the news could you share the feedback from
participants. also collect some feedbacks weather they would consider
the change and if they are willing to adopt stuffs like that.

Good job guys

On Mar 27, 12:58 am, Ismail Aiman Hassan <aimanhas...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> i guess the presentation is done quit well... if its bein presented to IT
> ppl then i think they will b able to understand on it. and apply it.... if u
> nyd any help in presenting to gov ppl just mail up wil b there to help u
> guys out...
>
> regards
>
> Aiman

V Shah

Mar 30, 2011, 12:56:47 AM3/30/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
http://www.haveeru.com.mv/?page=details&id=109253

Most of the comments are positive about this endeavor and good recommendations and ideas.

I wasn't able to attend the seminar due to duty, but I heard feedback from the participants were very supportive.The presentation flow was perfect and managed to grasp the interest of everyone in the hall. Props to Shunan and Awwam.

Regards,

Vishah