MOSS Magazine

Inash Zubair

Dec 20, 2009, 5:23:48 AM12/20/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

This is just a brief to let you all know that the public email we'll be using to receive articles and inquiries regarding the magazine project is maga...@moss.org.mv.

I'll follow up on more of the ideas that have been gathered together presently. Cheers.

--
Inash Zubair

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Dec 20, 2009, 6:27:01 AM12/20/09
to Maldivian Linux User Group
magazine-at-moss.org.mv, right?

In the same subject I would like to share some ideas

= How to contribute =

Everyone and anyone is welcome to contribute to the MOSS Magazine.
Right now you can email the articles to maga...@moss.org.mv

Our editors will moderate the articles for the magazine and contact
you if needed.

In addition to articles you can also submit news, comments, your FLOSS
experiences, hardware/software reviews, questions, screenshots, photos
or interesting links to the email address.

= Article Submission Guidelines =

The only condition for contribution of articles is that they must be
related to Free Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS).

= Rules for articles =

1.You can use any software to write your articles, preferably
OpenOffice.org
2.All images must be either JPG or PNG, images should be good in
quality and full-size.
3.Articles for now must be in English, don't worry if your English is
not too good, we will proof read it for you.
4.You can use a pen-name, your nickname or use your real name,
whichever you are comfortable with, but each article must have a
writer identity (Important for reader feedbacks!). If you want your
email address publicised along with the identity, indicate it too.

-------------------

That's all I can think of right now...

Feel free to add, comment and give suggestions...

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Inash Zubair

Dec 20, 2009, 9:49:58 AM12/20/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Let's decide on a short and sweet name for the magazine. It could even be a dhivehi word which can be spelled easily in English like the one I've spelled below. It even looks very web2.0ish.

Here are some of my selections:
- MOSS Monthly.
- Roohu (Spirit). [We can use such names that could be extended in the future for our cause to show the convergence of FOSS, open culture and open society].

We can use words like Raajje, Dhivehi, Aalai'thah (kidding :D), etc. You know it best. Throw your suggestions. Cheers.

--
Inash Zubair

Haris

Dec 20, 2009, 10:17:36 AM12/20/09
to Maldivian Linux User Group
How about including a desktop showcase like in Full Circle Magazine

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Dec 20, 2009, 11:33:12 AM12/20/09
to Maldivian Linux User Group
Inn,

Yep we need to decide on a name asap (as we need to work on a deadline
of first week of Jan 2010)!
just some suggestions top of my mind... (though they sound wired to
me... :) )
- Minivan maahaul
- Dhivehi roohu
- Ekuveri Vindhu :)
- I am lost, so last I will go for MOSS Magazine or MOSS Monthly.

Feel free to suggest if you have got anything interesting (or weird)!

Haris,

Sure like Full Circle we can go for Screenshots but this mag is not
limited to Ubuntu, so we can include various other distros too! So
email your desktop to magazine-at-moss.org.mv

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Hussain

Dec 20, 2009, 11:54:54 AM12/20/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com

- Bithufangi
- Farudhaage Furagas
- Thedhu Magu
- Kudadoreh Noon
- Dhivehi Penguin

- " Masnuvi Sikudi "

XXxXX

364.gif
330.gif
360.gif

Ibrahim Sobah

Dec 20, 2009, 12:30:22 PM12/20/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Good to see it getting started. Now "Let's get started - PEB"

Haris

Dec 20, 2009, 1:38:38 PM12/20/09
to Maldivian Linux User Group
yoosuf, then i can try something like this. each month i can try one
destro and customize, so people will be persuaded :D

On Dec 20, 10:30 pm, Ibrahim Sobah <ibrahimso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good to see it getting started. Now "Let's get started - PEB"
>

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Inash Zubair <inash.zub...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi all.
>
> > This is just a brief to let you all know that the public email we'll be
> > using to receive articles and inquiries regarding the magazine project is

> > magaz...@moss.org.mv.

> > I'll follow up on more of the ideas that have been gathered together
> > presently. Cheers.
>
> > --
> > Inash Zubair
>
> > --

> > mlugmv+un...@googlegroups.com<mlugmv%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Inash Zubair

Dec 20, 2009, 1:39:34 PM12/20/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Haris get on the IRC channel!

Inash Zubair

Ibrahim Sobah

Dec 20, 2009, 2:11:32 PM12/20/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
How about
1. MossMag
2. FlossMag
3. MossLeaf

364.gif
330.gif
360.gif

Haris

Dec 20, 2009, 5:11:28 PM12/20/09
to Maldivian Linux User Group
Sobah: MossMag & MossLeaf = Kewl. but FlossMag isn't cool for me.

On Dec 21, 12:11 am, Ibrahim Sobah <ibrahimso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about
> 1. MossMag
> 2. FlossMag
> 3. MossLeaf
>

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Hussain <hussain.maldic...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > - Bithufangi [?]
> > - Farudhaage Furagas [?]
> > - Thedhu Magu
> > - Kudadoreh Noon [?]

> > - Dhivehi Penguin
>
> > - " Masnuvi Sikudi "
>
> > XXxXX
>
> >  --

> > mlugmv+un...@googlegroups.com<mlugmv%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/mlugmv?hl=en.
>

>  364.gif
> < 1KViewDownload
>
>  330.gif
> < 1KViewDownload
>
>  360.gif
> < 1KViewDownload

V Shah

Dec 21, 2009, 1:18:26 AM12/21/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
1.Magnix or Manix ( Magazine + Unix )
2.Occult
3.Nix mag
4.Tux mag
6.Freedom magazine
7.MOSS (only moss, preferably with the front page layout with moss growing out in patches, all over.

I'll go for Freedom magazine, Manix or just MOSS. Too much "magazines" and "mags" at the end of magazine names. We have to go for something Unique.
364.gif
330.gif
360.gif

Jaau

Dec 21, 2009, 1:19:25 AM12/21/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Ur OS testing will come in really handy for this magazine

Regards
Jaau

V Shah

Dec 21, 2009, 1:26:38 AM12/21/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Just sent my first article. Hoping to send one article every day till the due date.

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Dec 21, 2009, 7:40:19 AM12/21/09
to Maldivian Linux User Group
V Shah, that is the spirit...

I have send an article too! :)

So what will be the name of the mag?????

Last I would like to suggest the Magazine discussions in the Agenda of
our next MOSS Weekly meeting...

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Inash Zubair

Dec 21, 2009, 9:09:51 AM12/21/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I like Sobah's suggestion: Moss Leaf. A leaf has a profound impact on the concept and name and especially you can imagine a nice green leaf when you read the name. Otherwise we could just name it MOSS. But we still have space for a dhivehi word.

We have to schedule a magazine meetup within the week prior to the Weekly meeting. As the weekly meeting isn't for discussing about stuff. It's about briefing/debriefing and getting things organized in plans. Cheers.

Inash Zubair

V Shah

Dec 21, 2009, 9:13:06 AM12/21/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Its all about freedom and democracy these days. Though it has no meaning in the current political scene in Maldives, we are at least genuine about our cause. Freedom magazine would be an eye catching name. Everybody, even people who hasn't touched a keyboard will understand that one.
--
Sent from my mobile device
364.gif

V Shah

Dec 21, 2009, 9:17:28 AM12/21/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Whats the word for moss as in the plant. In dhivehi?. Jus wondering. I
think fehi jehun is something else right. Someone get soadhube in
here.

>> mlugmv+un...@googlegroups.com<mlugmv%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>> .
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/mlugmv?hl=en.
>>

> --
> Inash Zubair

Ibrahim Sobah

Dec 21, 2009, 10:18:12 AM12/21/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Guys,
I'm brainstorming (it's really storm inside now) ;)
Well, about the content and design, I guess we could gather some idea from Linux-mag, Linux magazine and Linux Journal as well.  And look what I found while browsing through the articles. I guess some of you guys would have already read about as some of them are published during last July.

1. Microsoft Patches Linux: Linus Reponds (July 22, 2009)
http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7439/1.html

2. IBM Throws Out Microsoft Office (Sep 12, 2009)
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/IBM-Throws-Out-Microsoft-Office

3. Even Self-Appointed Benevolent Dictators Need a Little Change. (Dec 18, 2009)
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/even-self-appointed-benevolent-dictators-need-little-change

4. Throwing Windows Out The Window (Last year from PCLinuxOS Magazine)
http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200801/page01.html

For me, Linux Journal seems be well organised and the content and presentation is attractive.

Inash Zubair

Dec 21, 2009, 10:47:09 AM12/21/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Those are some attractive articles for a start. I think one of something like that can go in as a radical one. Which will have a dramatic effect on a new reader. Sobah try contacting them to ask for permission on republishing the article(s). PDF version and on the website as well provided we link to the original one. Cheers.
--
Inash Zubair

Ibrahim Sobah

Dec 21, 2009, 10:52:38 AM12/21/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Sure, will do it tonight!

Ismail Faiz

Dec 21, 2009, 3:06:48 PM12/21/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
I like "MOSS" as the magazine name. Just that. Simple and neat, just like open source is.

V Shah

Dec 22, 2009, 3:26:09 PM12/22/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
hi Shuna, I've submitted another article, the one we discussed the other day. Pls have a look into it.

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Dec 22, 2009, 4:42:05 PM12/22/09
to Maldivian Linux User Group
V Shah,

Did not get it, Inn did you get the Vishah second article?

Everyone,

I support PH idea of calling the magazine by "MOSS"...

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Inash Zubair

Dec 22, 2009, 5:03:36 PM12/22/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
No through email. But I've received the update through our shared folder on dropbox.

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Inash Zubair

Inash Zubair

Dec 25, 2009, 12:21:03 AM12/25/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We've received 4 articles so far for the magazine. It's not much but we could need a little more. It doesn't have to be comprehensive. Read the previous posts in this thread to see what kinds of content can be submitted. It can even be a brief experience about some aspect of using FOSS.

We shall be commencing some arrangement and design options for the magazine after the 26th (Saturday). Hopefully we'll be able to compile a small tabloid before the end of the year in preparation for the January launch.

Cheers.
--
Inash Zubair

V Shah

Dec 25, 2009, 12:11:00 PM12/25/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Im working on another 3 atm. Hope to submit it soon. I hope we'll be
able to come up with around 20 or more till the due date.

On 12/23/09, Inash Zubair <inash....@gmail.com> wrote:
> No through email. But I've received the update through our shared folder on
> dropbox.
>
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Yusuf Abdulla Shunan
> <shu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> V Shah,
>>
>> Did not get it, Inn did you get the Vishah second article?
>>
>> Everyone,
>>
>> I support PH idea of calling the magazine by "MOSS"...
>>
>> Salam
>> Yusuf Abdulla Shunan
>>
>> --

>> mlugmv+un...@googlegroups.com<mlugmv%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>> .
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/mlugmv?hl=en.
>>

> --
> Inash Zubair

Vishah

Dec 29, 2009, 5:50:02 AM12/29/09
to Maldivian Linux User Group

20091229 article submitted. Needs more work and better pics.So please
include some nice screen caps, and help in filling out the missing
parts.

On Dec 23, 3:03 am, Inash Zubair <inash.zub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No through email. But I've received the update through our shared folder on
> dropbox.
>
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Yusuf Abdulla Shunan <shu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > V Shah,
>
> > Did not get it, Inn did you get the Vishah second article?
>
> > Everyone,
>
> > I support PH idea of calling the magazine by "MOSS"...
>
> > Salam
> > Yusuf Abdulla Shunan
>
> > --

> > mlugmv+un...@googlegroups.com<mlugmv%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Ibrahim Sobah

Dec 29, 2009, 6:11:27 AM12/29/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Inn,
Got my article?

Inash Zubair

Dec 29, 2009, 7:31:59 AM12/29/09
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Oh yes. Did get you email. Cheers.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Ibrahim Sobah <ibrahi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Inn,
Got my article?

Inash Zubair

Inash Zubair

Jan 7, 2010, 2:53:29 PM1/7/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I'm proud to announce that the magazine team have completed and compiled the very first issue of the MOSS Magazine: Your Monthly FLOSS Magazine. Check it out at our website http://www.moss.org.mv.

Most of all, this is based on assumptions and the way ahead is through productive feedback and comments. So let us hear your thoughts. Happy reading.

Cheers.
--
Inash Zubair

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Jan 7, 2010, 5:30:14 PM1/7/10
to Maldivian Linux User Group
Good Job Everyone!

This calls for celebration... :)

And everyone, spread the word...

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Jan 8, 2010, 4:06:05 PM1/8/10
to Maldivian Linux User Group
Hi all,

I guess the magazine is a big step and I would like to thank all those
who worked in the background. Especially in correcting the articles
and error checking team.

1. Soul <- Good work
2. Inn <- Dedicated
3. Soba <- Always ready (despise his busy schedule)

And special thanks for all those who send articles, and I hope people
will understand the fact that some articles did not make it to this
issue, but they will in the next...

So everyone we need your reviews and suggestions...

Once again to grab the issue visit http://www.moss.org.mv/

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

V Shah

Jan 9, 2010, 1:41:39 AM1/9/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
How abt me?. :(

V Shah

Jan 9, 2010, 1:46:05 AM1/9/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
I was also part of the editorial bord you know. and worked for that effect in correcting and inserting content.

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Jan 9, 2010, 5:33:12 AM1/9/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vishah, in the excitement and workload, especially given that it was an online initiative I did not catch that...

Vishah, you always have been very dedicated and motivated in MOSS initiatives... For the recent activities in keeping MOSS alive, If we have to thank one person alone than it is you...

Hope you will excuse my ignorance! :)

Thanks man!

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan
--
Salam,
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

V Shah

Jan 9, 2010, 10:22:24 AM1/9/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Gosh...no my dear Shunan. I can't even compare to the work you have done for the community. You are a perfect example of dedication and excellence. you are a genuine Software Freedom hero. Tha'ts why I wanted to know you remember me too.

Regards.

Jaau

Jan 9, 2010, 1:43:40 PM1/9/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com, mlu...@googlegroups.com
All the people who attends and gives idea to MOSS are community hero's

Regards
Jaau

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Jan 10, 2010, 12:52:10 AM1/10/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi V shah & Jaau,

Kudos to Jaa for putting forward the idea of a magazine. ;) The Mag is out, so let us concentrate on ways to improve it...

Said that let us not forget that we all are part of MOSS, and MOSS is a cause. I or anyone can never DO anything alone, whatever we have accomplished so far was done collectively, as a team, working together. All I have learned about teamwork is, a team can accomplish miracles when nobody cares about who gets the credit...

“I am a member of MOSS, and I rely on MOSS, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because MOSS, not the individual, is the cause...”

Salam

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

V Shah

Jan 10, 2010, 1:46:07 AM1/10/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Well said well said. When we say MOSS it includes all of us.Both In and out of Maldives. MOSS magazine is an example of this contribution of MOSS members around the globe.

Vishah

Jan 16, 2010, 7:08:39 AM1/16/10
to Maldivian Linux User Group
Submissions to the next issue of MOSS magazine is open..This leaves us
with two weeks to finish up content. So guys, put your full effort and
lets make this issue a hit like the previous one.

I'll just copy paste a comment from Shunan here.

Haris

Jan 28, 2010, 8:54:58 AM1/28/10
to Maldivian Linux User Group
I have an Idea. How about each one writing an Article about How they
came up with Linux and Why did they wanted to try Linux.

On Dec 23 2009, 3:03 am, Inash Zubair <inash.zub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No through email. But I've received the update through our shared folder on
> dropbox.
>
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Yusuf Abdulla Shunan <shu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > V Shah,
>
> > Did not get it, Inn did you get the Vishah second article?
>
> > Everyone,
>
> > I support PH idea of calling the magazine by "MOSS"...
>
> > Salam
> > Yusuf Abdulla Shunan
>
> > --

> > mlugmv+un...@googlegroups.com<mlugmv%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Haris

Feb 7, 2010, 3:59:37 PM2/7/10
to Maldivian Linux User Group
Second Issue is out. http://moss.org.mv

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Feb 7, 2010, 4:12:50 PM2/7/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

That's right, MOSS, is proud to present it's second issue. Like we thought and as was warned that this is a challenge, MOSS aims to be a monthly magazine; and of course we know the burden it puts on us.

This issue features six writers who help comprise the vanguard of FLOSS in the Maldives. In addition to how-tos, how we did it, "what I use" and "what I think of"! In this magazine you can find an insight of challenges the IT Industry of Maldives will face in the next 2 years. Details of the Moodle project localization to Dhivehi. Other articles include introduction of various Linux programs used by our members. How to build or compile from source tar files and about Linux desktop environments, this time KDE. Last but not the least, a small nostalgic writeup of the magazine history for the /dev/null.

Grab a copy at http://moss.org.mv/Magazine

Salam

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Haris <thebla...@gmail.com> wrote:
Second Issue is out. http://moss.org.mv

V Shah

Feb 7, 2010, 10:53:55 PM2/7/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to everyone. Once again you all have made this magazine first class. now lets celebrate and start off writing articles for the next issue.

Salam

Vishah

Inash Zubair

Mar 7, 2010, 5:05:25 PM3/7/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Welcome to another interesting issue of MOSS! We hope you all enjoyed
reading our last two issues. We are definitely excited to release another
issue.

We are creating this monthly magazine, MOSS, to help everyone find the
possibilities of free libre open source software (FLOSS), something that
fills a void in the Information Technology arena in Maldives for the
highly sought-after, intelligent fans.

Our team is growing and this time we are fortified with a new member.
Together and spirited involvement has brought a definite, intelligent
vitality to the magazine, and has emphasized the strong collaboration
between MOSS members. This issue is a result of a lot of individuals so
join us in thanking all of them!

This issue contains many articles of various tastes. We hope you will
enjoy the stimulating and enlightenment when reading this issue.

We hope you are already learning the wonders and amazement of Free Libre
Open Source Software (FLOSS) and making good use of it. So go ahead and
Download the third issue.

(above text: credits to shunan).

http://moss.org.mv/Magazine_201003

--
Inash Zubair

V Shah

Mar 8, 2010, 2:18:15 AM3/8/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com

Congratulations to everyone. To me this issue is a favorite. Thanks to everyone who contributed and specially to Shuna on the wonderful layout work.

--
Inash Zubair

Naail A.R

Mar 8, 2010, 3:31:05 AM3/8/10
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
awesome work guys. If I may make a quick suggestion, I thing the article
text should be justified. It seems a little bit messy right now.

> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/mlugmv?hl=en.
>

> --

> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Hussain

Mar 26, 2010, 11:13:51 AM3/26/10
to Maldivian Linux User Group
Hi all

i find this a fast way to connect with many people. so here is
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MOSS-Monthly-FLOSS-Magazine/107574212603820?ref=mf

cheers
Hussain.

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Apr 7, 2010, 9:50:59 PM4/7/10
to Maldivian Linux User Group
MOSS Magazine Issue #4 April 2010 is here. It is not only about the
Free
Software movement, it is also about finding real world solutions to
simple
and basic needs. Of course all with Free Libre Open Source Software
(FLOSS).
With this edition of MOSS: Your Monthly FLOSS Magazine, we wish to
redesign
and give a face lift to this magazine: we make free magazines LOOK
GOOD!
- Download <http://moss.org.mv/downloads/moss-mag_2010.04.pdf>
- Read More <http://moss.org.mv/Magazine_201004>
Salam,
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Apr 25, 2010, 2:18:10 PM4/25/10
to Maldivian Linux User Group
Hi all,

The 30 April 2010 (5 days) is the deadline to submit additional
articles for the MOSS May Magazine.

Direct all your articles to magazine [at] moss.org.mv

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Naail Abdul Rahman

Feb 9, 2011, 9:17:48 PM2/9/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
hey how come the 2011 issue isn't on the website? :|

@i

Mar 13, 2011, 10:48:33 AM3/13/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shunan and MOSS Team,

I would like to say that it's a great effort that you guys have put in so far in promoting FOSS. And the Magazine has definitely been a hit for me, and have always looked forward to it's release.

It's unfortunate that the magazine is no longer released, and I do understand that it has to do with other more pressing commitments of the team members.

Last time I had a chat with you, I remember you saying that there are articles already in queue and more coming in, but due just not enough time to publish them.

So I would like to make a suggestion for MOSS to have a blog style magazine, (e.g. http://www.linuxjournal.com/) so you will have articles being published regularly at the leisure of the authors/contributors, keep the moss community more engaged with the online community, etc. and perhaps, still release the PDF magazine every now and then when time permits. You can still have the process of moderation of articles by select editors...

I very much look forward to more articles by MOSS and get more accepted by the wider audience as not just linux enthusiast, but individuals who appreciate and freely disseminate knowledge.

Warm regards

Ahmed

Naail Abdul Rahman

Mar 13, 2011, 11:50:05 AM3/13/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
An interesting suggestion. I must say that the idea appeals to me.

> --
> Maldives Open Source Society (MOSS)

V Shah

Mar 13, 2011, 12:34:10 PM3/13/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Discussions are going on to change the format of the magazine, so that it can include more Free Software news and make it easier for people to contribute. The website is not up-to date with the latest editions of the magazine since change to new web-hosting.We need to fix this.

Adam Fathuhy

Mar 14, 2011, 6:21:05 AM3/14/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Dear all members and contributors.

I wonder what this is all about? I believe one man show is a very old method, since MOSS is an NGO and highly depend on it's contributors, need to compromise and build a culture which will make more action than useless chit chats. "Any one can contribute and work for MOSS" but when it comes to action duhh.. guys leaders are not listening.
This is what has been happening:
  1. You do the work we are watching
  2. We are leaders and we should be
  3. We need suggestion, but don't tell us what to do.

Regards

Adam

V Shah

Mar 14, 2011, 10:44:58 AM3/14/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Good points. Your concern is to get opportunity to contribute.The opportunity  was always there. Weekly meetings were always open to everyone. Now that the format of the meeting is changed to irc meeting sessions, it will create more opportunity to contribute and lead.

MOSS is everything but a one man show. If you have followed MOSS closely you will see All the decisions need approval of the steering committee members. Members are chosen to be included in  steering committee by looking at their track record of contribution to free-software and MOSS.

We can iron out the issues in the next weekly meeting on Friday #moss at freenode.net. Be there.

shu...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2011, 11:09:50 AM3/14/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

I am a bit disturbed to hear what you have to say, I do not agree, but you might be right.

So let us not point finger and think on what you have to offer to MOSS?

01. Contribute articles and design help for Magazine/Newsletter
02. Take part in the Ubuntu Translation Project
03. Actively post ideas/suggestions/comments on the mailing list and follow through
04. Contribute financially
05. Plan out events and make them happen
06. Take part in the meetings (now planned to be on freenode irc, #moss)
07. Give presentations on Free Open Source Software to NGOs, schools, colleges, offices, and etc
08. Pick up the Dhivehi OCR Project and contribute
09. Work on the development of MOSS website and other internal projects
10. Pick up the Dhivehi Dictionary Project and contribute

If you have any questions regarding any of these feel free to shoot here or in the channel #moss

Warm Regards
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan
"If today were the last day of your life, would you want to do what you are about to do?"

Abdul Hameed

Mar 14, 2011, 11:57:56 PM3/14/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
I highly support Inn's suggestion.

Rather than waiting for the editors/designers, why not put the magazine in a blog?

regards,
Hameed

Ahmed Ibrahim

Mar 15, 2011, 12:56:10 AM3/15/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
I am looking forward to the #moss meeting. Do you have a fixed agenda for discussion or everyone shout out their opinions in the channel? And I know its on friday, but what time is it?

regards

ahmed

V Shah

Mar 15, 2011, 2:03:17 AM3/15/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
As for the weekly meeting, how about Friday 22:00 - 00:00?.
Magazine will be issued in the format of a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly newsletter. news-letters will be available on the website as html, plain-text and pdf format. This and other points discussed in the last steering committee meeting can be further discussed and things finalized this Friday.

I think we should fix a newbie-quota during some sessions, otherwise for example we all are collaborating on  translation-project, there is no need of a quota.
For the coming meeting, I propose the agenda to be to create a news-letter guideline and work on the respective documents as per the discussions last Saturday.

please comment.

V Shah

Mar 15, 2011, 2:18:53 AM3/15/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com

MOSS Meeting to be held on Friday 10PM to 12:00AM.
Venue:  #moss at freenode

If any one find reason to  object please reply before 12:00AM Tue Mar 15 2011( Today ).

Best Regards,

Vishah

Mohamed Shaafiee

Mar 16, 2011, 12:44:34 AM3/16/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
I would like to attend this meeting. Additionally, I request that you
include the discussion of open-source options for the government as an
agenda item. I would like to discuss the possible capitulation of the
government and how MOSS can help accelerate the decision-making
process. What is still a hindrance is the government's concern over
the use of Dhivehi in word-processors and spreadsheets (one issue
being that on LibreOffice and OpenOffice, the only flawless fonts are
MV Elaaf and Reethi [as far as my experiments go], which means that
all Office documents with other fonts may [unless someone has a better
idea] have to be changed to compatible OpenType fonts).

Hope to discuss this more in Friday's meeting.

Regards,
Shaafiee

V Shah

Mar 16, 2011, 5:13:04 AM3/16/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Very important issue that we should pick  up as a prioritized project. We can discuss about this as well on the Friday meeting.

Best Regards,

Vishah

Ibrahim Awwam

Mar 16, 2011, 4:44:49 PM3/16/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
I put forward nails proposed agends. In addition I have another
important issue with the word processor, which is the text direction.
Like MS Word open office, Libreoffice, Symphoney don't support 2 text
direction is same line. This is the major issue I'm having. The letter
reference number used in government only supported in MS Office.

We really need to disscuess this in next meeting

--
Sent from my mobile device

Regards
Awwam

Tel#+9609738824

Ismail Aiman Hassan

Mar 16, 2011, 4:58:38 PM3/16/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
i also want to add to the font thing.... that recent meetings held at NCIT its not seem that they are even thinking ahead... they only talk about the replacement of microsoft office with open office ... and check how the performance is... i think NCIT ppl need abit of help from MOSS aswel.... they havnt planned for open source OS.... and mind u the law says by 15th of april software's shud b licensed.

regards

Aiman

Naail Abdul Rahman

Mar 17, 2011, 12:52:50 AM3/17/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for interrupting the flow of the discussion here.

@awwam:
If we start pointing out problems with government policy, I think we can
go on and on for a very long time. NCIT has to this point been very
negligent of its duties. Like sofwath mentioned some time ago, there is
a strong need for implemented guidelines and standards to follow in
terms of document interchange (formats, font type,size etc) , hardware
specifications (eg: in terms of energy consumption, network-size,
utilisation), standard software (open/libre/k office? msoffice?)
compliance and backup procedures, security and so on. In the very least,
there should exist a specification against which government bodies can
be benchmarked against.

Past discussions on these things have yielded next to nothing, and it is
my view that while these things affect MOSS directly - we should
abstain from getting involved at this time. MOSS is in need of a retreat
and regroup to get our act together. We must however, do this quickly as
the window of opportunity to impact policy is already closing.

@Shaafiee:
I believe malik and I had discussed some time ago regarding the lack of
availability of standards compliant fonts. We currently experience
problems (particularly) on *NIX platforms (eg: blocks in most KDE apps
where thaana is supposed to be) and also on MAC OS. I also encountered a
lot of problems in this area while hacking in thaana support on iOS
devices. There has been very little effort on producing a good standard
font since unicode-ekeh. You raise a valid point.

Mohamed Shaafiee

Mar 17, 2011, 1:06:05 AM3/17/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Aiman,
Regarding migration to open-source OSes: if MOSS can migrate all the
Windows client software in use in the government offices (including
the SAP system - which does work with Linux, but the business
applications developed for the government are Windows-centric
[especially authentication]), then I'm sure NCIT will be more than
happy to indulge you.

shu...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2011, 5:01:14 AM3/19/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dosbe,

As far as I know TTF fonts do perform really well in Linux, we have been using the thaana font package done by Vishah

https://groups.google.com/forum/?pli=1#!topic/mlugmv/Auy_ZJpXEVg

Hi Awwaam,

Both RTL & LTR support is in LibreOffice/OpenOffice but you will need to enable it.

Go to Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Languages

and enable (tick) these

- Enabled for Asian languages
- Enable for complex text layout (CTL)

Now you can change the direction of text using the new buttons on the toolbar, alternatively you can use Ctrl+Shift+D for RTL and Ctrl+Shift+A for LTR.

As for entering mixed text directions within on word just go to Insert -> Formatting Mark ->

to enter english text inside dhivehi choose Left-to-right-mark and start typing, after done you can switch back to Right-to-left-mark.

Hope this helps...

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

V Shah

Mar 19, 2011, 5:33:56 AM3/19/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
dear Members,

We had the first session of IRC moss meeting last night ( Friday 18/03/1020 ). The meeting was very productive and I very much enjoyed the discussions.Thanks all.

Regards,

Vishah

V Shah

Mar 19, 2011, 5:47:02 AM3/19/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
apart from the regular members we had only one new member attending. Was this because of the show last night?