[news] Gnome3 is out.

SoE

Apr 7, 2011, 7:10:38 AM4/7/11
to Maldivian Linux User Group
The next generation of gnome desktop has been released. Check out some
of it's new features here on http://gnome3.org

no flaming please.

V Shah

Apr 7, 2011, 10:10:02 AM4/7/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Haha, no flames, variety is always good. now let me watch the videos. is this yet on the Ubuntu repos?. hmm let me check.

--
Maldives Open Source Society (MOSS)

Naail Abdul Rahman

Apr 7, 2011, 10:49:24 AM4/7/11
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
No it's not. It conflicts with the existing gnome install. From the looks of it I don't think it would be easy to do a side by side install.  HOWEVER, gnome devs say they will make a PPA available for natty (ubuntu 11.04) upwards. Fedora 15? and SUSE will ship with gnome3 by default. There are rumours the Linux Mint is also going with gnome3.

This marks an important turning point in the desktop experience I think, ditching the classic panel layout. Let's hope that it pans out well.