My hardest problem

Duncan Roe

Apr 25, 2022, 8:47:21 PM4/25/22
to mlug
Hi,

I only have 1: Wifi works fine at home but fails when I stay in a hotel or even
go to the ACS.

It's a hard problem because I have to go away somewhere to try anything. Running
wpa_supplicant with debug on showed lines like this when the SSID matched:

> wlan0: 11: 80:8f:1d:25:b3:a0 ssid='Bay of Palms' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x1401 level=-56 freq=2437
> wlan0: allow for non-WPA IEEE 802.1X
> wlan0: skip - privacy mismatch

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

I am wondering if I configured out too much CRYPTO from the kernel. Will try
Slackware 15.0 config next time. But I feel I'm clutching at straws.

Cheers ... Duncan.

Michael Pope

Apr 25, 2022, 9:00:05 PM4/25/22
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
I've got a few questions/suggestions;

Is it only when the ssid has spaces in the name?

Could you setup a separate WIFI router at home and try and replicate the issue for easy diagnostics? (I should have a spare router somewhere if you need one).

Could it be the WIFI adapter? Sometimes I've found swapping the mini-PCI WIFI adapter to a different chipset helps connect to more WIFI routers.

When experiencing the problem have you tried a LIVE USB Ubuntu image with a different distro to test that it's not a hardware/compatibility issue with your system?

Have you tried using ConnMan to make the connection? Maybe there is some extra routing that needs setup?

In some places you need to connect and then load a website to agree to the terms and conditions could this be the issue?

from,
Michael

Duncan Roe

Apr 25, 2022, 9:34:39 PM4/25/22
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your suggestions. My comments below.

Cheers ... Duncan.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 10:59:43AM +1000, Michael Pope wrote:
> I've got a few questions/suggestions;
>
> Is it only when the ssid has spaces in the name?

Has worked with spaces before (e.g. at MLUG locations IIRC)

> Could you setup a separate WIFI router at home and try and replicate the issue for easy diagnostics? (I should have a spare router somewhere if you need one).

Thanks but we have 2 already and they both work. Question is: *how* are the non-working routers set up?

> Could it be the WIFI adapter? Sometimes I've found swapping the mini-PCI WIFI adapter to a different chipset helps connect to more WIFI routers.

Tend to doubt that. Too many sites do work (including wife's phone as a hotspot at Bay of Palms).

> When experiencing the problem have you tried a LIVE USB Ubuntu image with a different distro to test that it's not a hardware/compatibility issue with your system?

Excellent idea! I used to always have a Knoppix usb in with the laptop, will go back to doing that.

> Have you tried using ConnMan to make the connection? Maybe there is some extra routing that needs setup?
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/ConnMan

Looked at that just now. Think I have enough flexibility with editing /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.

> In some places you need to connect and then load a website to agree to the terms and conditions could this be the issue?

Usually when no password is required (but not always). wpa_supplicant is not getting that far: it's not sending back anything.