Self-host AI

Michael Pope

Jun 4, 2023, 7:16:34 AM6/4/23
to mlug-au

Has anyone started self hosting their own AI instead of using ChatGPT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeqeGTguFwkf

--
Mick

Pool Master

Jun 5, 2023, 1:03:23 AM6/5/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Mick we need to catch up when your free for a few hours.

I did thorough research in the past 6 months on local-install AI text2image or using local-install text2text language models.
There are various good text2text models available. Some even have extentions to allow you to roleplay and/or cybersex with the AI and they even have themed plugins for a more visually appealing GUI but the best thing is the various AI personalities you can load according to what appeals to you or what character you want for your book or game you're working on.

Its good for anyone wanting a laugh or wanting to write that fictional book they always wanted to write but never got around to do it.

Let me know what days you're available and we can meet up at that venue I told you about in the past or one in your suburb.

I actually have come across a rare problem with my hardware that you helped me with in the past.
It ran out of disk space while I downloaded a large video file.
The disk space available was around 50GB and the file was 30GB but I am guessing when a file is being merged (video & sound) it needs double the amount of disk space of the filesize to do the merge or something like that.

So now eveything on my hard disk in that shared folder is not loading up (cannot be viewed on screen) so I can manually remove it onto an external drive and free up space.
I did manually add more disk space to the Operating System but that was after I rebooted, I think if I did add more space before I rebooted I might have not encountered the problem. In hindsight. So now the hardware is usuable but Im not using it because i dont want to overwrite anything on the hard disk and I want to salvage it and remove it but dont know how to repair it.

I am not worthy of Linux.

Richard C

Jun 5, 2023, 1:14:41 AM6/5/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
yup. Was considering a talk on the topic if anyone's keen.

It's exciting and moving so fast, like Linux in the 90s.

Thanks,

Richard

Duncan Roe

Jun 7, 2023, 9:05:00 PM6/7/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Ii Richard,

On Mon, Jun 05, 2023 at 03:14:28PM +1000, Richard C wrote:
> yup. Was considering a talk on the topic if anyone's keen.
>
> It's exciting and moving so fast, like Linux in the 90s.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

That sounds great! Will put you down for first talk at the next meeting (Monday
26th June).

> On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 at 21:16, Michael Pope <ma...@fastmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Has anyone started self hosting their own AI instead of using ChatGPT?
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeqeGTguFwkf

Sorry for the tardy reply - have been a tad busy. If you would like another
month to prepare, please say.

At this stage it's likely the meeting will be virtual - more details to come in
another email. Please LMK if you'd rather wait for an in-person meeting to
present at.

Cheers ... Duncan.

Duncan Roe

Jul 7, 2023, 7:01:26 PM7/7/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

On Mon, Jun 05, 2023 at 03:14:28PM +1000, Richard C wrote:
> yup. Was considering a talk on the topic if anyone's keen.
>
> It's exciting and moving so fast, like Linux in the 90s.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard
>
> On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 at 21:16, Michael Pope <ma...@fastmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Has anyone started self hosting their own AI instead of using ChatGPT?
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeqeGTguFwkf
> >

> > --
> > Mick

I've (finally) put up the slides for this on the web site.

Sorry to take so long, Richard.

Cheers ... Duncan.

AJ

Jul 8, 2023, 1:56:31 AM7/8/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com

chat GPT-4 is out.... and has a expen$ive API ..

"Starting January 4, 2024, certain older OpenAI models — specifically
GPT-3 and its derivatives — will no longer be available" --
https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/06/openai-makes-gpt-4-generally-available/

i guess you might need to start archiving this whilst you can?

also,   what do you mean 'like' the 90's...     still doing bleeding
edge 90's tech :)
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.5-PS2-Improvements

Richard C

Jul 8, 2023, 2:35:14 AM7/8/23
to mlug-au
On Sat, 8 July 2023, 15:56 AJ, <ajba...@gmail.com> wrote:

chat GPT-4 is out.... and has a expen$ive API ..

"Starting January 4, 2024, certain older OpenAI models — specifically
GPT-3 and its derivatives — will no longer be available" --
https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/06/openai-makes-gpt-4-generally-available/

i guess you might need to start archiving this whilst you can?
It's really a lot like RMS' original inspiration for free and open systems - when his platform got yanked by the vendor.

In this case, there's likely to be some shakeout in the supporting ecosystem around the models (prompts, embeddings, etc.) even as the base models (GPT3, GPT4, Llama, etc.) compete and evolve.

As ever in complex systems, caveat emptor.

Richard

Malcolm Herbert

Jul 10, 2023, 7:22:38 PM7/10/23
to mlug-au
the issue is that it's not just buyer beware with these things, everyone has the potential to be affected ... I look forward to the day when they start consuming their own output like an AI oroborus ...

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert
mj...@mjch.net

Malcolm Herbert

Jul 10, 2023, 7:24:36 PM7/10/23
to mlug-au
Coincidentally, the next mail in my mailbox was from the RISKS digest, which I can heartily recommend for more scary tales of tech-gone-amok

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, founder and still moderator

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/33.75>
The current issue can also be found at <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>