Locales

stripes theotoky

Jul 21, 2023, 3:44:18 PM7/21/23
to mlug-au
For some reason my computer keeps setting LANG=en_AT.UTF-8
(Austrian English)? Very weird and not as far as I can see set anywhere on the system.

$ sudo locale-gen
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
  de_CH.UTF-8... done
  el_GR.UTF-8... done
  en_GB.UTF-8... done
  ja_JP.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.

That looks alright and as it should be.

$ locale
LANG=en_AT.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=de_CH.UTF-8

That just looks odd and prevents me compiling tex files with Lualatex and emacs but oddly it works fine from the terminal.

Any ideas on what is happening?
--
Stripes Theotoky

39°37'02.4"N 19°55'17.1"E

39.617334, 19.921417

Manoj C Menon

Jul 22, 2023, 1:20:31 AM7/22/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've found that I have to usually run a

$update-locale LANG="en_AU.UTF-8"

after I do a

$sudo locale-gen en_AU.UTF-8

on some distributions.

-Manoj.C

stripes theotoky

Jul 22, 2023, 2:19:47 AM7/22/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you but that doesn't seem to be the solution. The computer is not setting to Australian English but to Austrian (German - English). I don't want to get the computer to recognise it, I want to get rid of it completely. I have the locales generated for British English, Swiss German, Greek and Japanese. I have no idea where this locale is coming from or how to kill it. I am at the moment in Austria but don't see why that would cause it to generate an unknown locale.

Manoj C Menon

Jul 22, 2023, 2:30:05 AM7/22/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
I've never used it myself, but there appears to be a "localepurge" tool designed to remove unnecessary locales.

-Manoj.C

oldherl

Jul 22, 2023, 2:34:29 AM7/22/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
What disto / DE are you using?

'stripes theotoky' via mlug-au <mlu...@googlegroups.com> 于 2023年7月22日周六 05:44写道:

stripes theotoky

Jul 22, 2023, 2:48:52 AM7/22/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
This tool comes with lots of warnings. I have checked the man page and looked in every directory mentioned in it. Nowhere is there a reference to en_AT. Very odd.

stripes theotoky

Jul 22, 2023, 2:49:25 AM7/22/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com