Next meeting: 31st July (next Monday)

Duncan Roe

Jul 24, 2023, 8:14:20 PM7/24/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late notice: my system (nvme) disk failed
and my newest backup was 3 months old.

The next meeting is next Monday. I've updated https://mlug-au.org

Right now we have no talks scheduled.
@Danny: Did you say last month that you might have something?
Email me on or off list about that please.

With the crash I haven't had time to adequately explore the Makefile debugger
that I was going to demonstrate, but I also came across some unexpected (by me)
features of the MANPATH environment variable so I could do a
(somewhat shorter) session on that.

Meeting will again be virtual unless there is overwhelming enthusiasm(*)
to meet in the pub.

Cheers ... Duncan.

(*) at least 3 more people sign up on the website (I'm there already)

Danny Robson

Jul 24, 2023, 8:45:47 PM7/24/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com, Duncan Roe
On 25/7/23 10:14, Duncan Roe wrote:
> @Danny: Did you say last month that you might have something?
> Email me on or off list about that please.

Coincidentally I recently had a (much smaller) disk failure; a backing
disk for a database had a few dozen bad sectors.

I can give a tour of the ways I probed and "fixed" the problem (without
backups).

"Adventures in database corruption" or something similar?

Cheers,
Danny Robson

Duncan Roe

Jul 24, 2023, 10:21:34 PM7/24/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danny,
On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 10:45:42AM +1000, Danny Robson wrote:

> Coincidentally I recently had a (much smaller) disk failure; a backing disk
> for a database had a few dozen bad sectors.
>
> I can give a tour of the ways I probed and "fixed" the problem (without
> backups).
>
> "Adventures in database corruption" or something similar?
>
> Cheers,
> Danny Robson

OK you're on.

Cheers ... Duncan.

Malcolm Herbert

Jul 25, 2023, 6:01:50 PM7/25/23
to Danny Robson, mlug-au, Duncan Roe
On Tue, 25 Jul 2023, at 10:45, Danny Robson wrote:
> On 25/7/23 10:14, Duncan Roe wrote:
>> @Danny: Did you say last month that you might have something?
>> Email me on or off list about that please.
>
> Coincidentally I recently had a (much smaller) disk failure; a backing
> disk for a database had a few dozen bad sectors.
>
> I can give a tour of the ways I probed and "fixed" the problem (without
> backups).

interesting - I was thinking about presenting some work I did recently where I was deploying a new system using an ubuntu live cd and ansible, portions of which needed to modify the pre-boot non-functional copy of the OS from inside a chroot in the livecd environment, which might be useful in a rescue situation also ...

--
Malcolm Herbert
mj...@mjch.net

Duncan Roe

Jul 31, 2023, 5:15:42 AM7/31/23
to mlug-au
Hi everyone,

Talks start at 7:30PM but 3 of us are in already.

Cheers ... Duncan.

On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 10:14:20 AM UTC+10 Duncan Roe wrote:
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late notice: my system (nvme) disk failed
and my newest backup was 3 months old.

[SNIP]

Duncan Roe

Jul 31, 2023, 9:39:40 PM7/31/23
to mlug
Hi Everyone,

I have put Danny's slides from last night onto the web site.

Cheers ... Duncan.