upscaling video with mpv talk

Cameron

Nov 15, 2023, 11:40:31 PM11/15/23
to mlug-au
Hello,

I've been fiddling with mpv (video player) and have discovered it can do some really nifty upscaling, eg DVD Video --> 1080 or 4k, 1080 --> 4k

Would anyone be interested if I hosted a talk about this at the next MLUG meeting?

I can also do a quick talk about yt-dlp, and how it can skip all ads.
Also freetube, and how you can subscribe and watch youtube channels without a web browser.

Cam.

Gary Pope

Nov 16, 2023, 12:01:43 AM11/16/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Those ideas sound interesting, Cameron!    Gaz
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mlug-au/d9279c5f-0167-4ebf-b623-74f79f0c7af1n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mlug-au/d9279c5f-0167-4ebf-b623-74f79f0c7af1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

zak martell

Nov 16, 2023, 12:35:45 AM11/16/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cameron,

I use mpv as a video player for work purposes, and have played around with yt-dlp a lot.

I never used it for upscaling though, but I do use a lot of interesting parameters for things like caching.

Mpv has built in yt-dlp as well, so it can directly play without running it first.

I would love such talk.

AJ

Nov 16, 2023, 12:39:13 AM11/16/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
sounds awesome!
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mlug-au/d9279c5f-0167-4ebf-b623-74f79f0c7af1n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mlug-au/d9279c5f-0167-4ebf-b623-74f79f0c7af1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Howard Joseph

Nov 16, 2023, 12:51:24 AM11/16/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
I'll 3rd, or is it 4th by now, that recommendation!

Howard

with the average voter."- Winston Churchill

ArchieMeng

Nov 16, 2023, 1:00:09 AM11/16/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Is it Anime4K or vapoursynth-XXX-ncnn-vulkan?

I am the author of an abandoned video upscaling tool and corresponding python bindings to those upscaling libs which are still powering many upscaling software. So, I just made a guess here.

Archie M

Cameron

Nov 16, 2023, 1:23:53 AM11/16/23
to mlug-au
Hi Archie,

Am using AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution, and Anime4k.
I haven't delved in to vapoursynth-XXX-ncnn-vulkan, as the upscaling rabbit hole seems to be never ending.
I'd be curious to dip my toes in to vapoursynth tools, and also fancy interleaving stuff.

Cam.

Duncan Roe

Nov 16, 2023, 11:28:56 PM11/16/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cam,
That sounds great! Can I put you down for 1 talk or 2?

And what would the titles be?

Cheers ... Duncan.

Cameron

Nov 17, 2023, 7:03:26 PM11/17/23
to mlug-au
Put me in for talk 2 Duncan - Might need some time to set everything up.
Lets call it, "Upscaling and ad-free video in mpv".