From Gary (Gaz) .... It's not Goodbye, it's "See You Later"..... Been a great 20-30 years with you MLUG members.

Gary Pope

May 6, 2024, 3:54:25 AMMay 6
to mlu...@googlegroups.com

It's come that time in life, 6 years into retirement,  that my coding days and sys-admin days, are fading, and other family matters and life's challengers  need to take a wee bit more priority.

As your chief Heckler over the years,  and not much of a contributor,  I do hope the input provided at meetings, online sessions and the email-circuit, have given someone else some benefit.

I look back with great fondness to the days of Mark Campbell who was taking the lead role.  The days at the Computer Warehouse, and Jawa Bar in North Melbourne.   Then my Son, Michael's turn to take the lead, and we spent many a great night at Jawa, then Muttis in Elgin St. where we got spoilt by the owners until they had to shut down. .  A stint at Spaghetteria  Ristorante  at 132 Lygon St from 2014.  Danny Robson took over the lead. Then in Feb 2015, it was at Dan O'Connell's at 225 Canning St.   Then in 2017 to the Great Northern Hotel where the SNUG or private room has been a welcome location.  During this time, Danny relocated his family to Townsville, and long time member: Duncan Roe took the lead.

So much for geography,  it has been the great colleagues I've met over these years that inspired me to really like Unix and get involved with it in my family business doing Sys-admin.     And I've loved the ride.

Where do I start to mention all the mates I've come to know, listening to their words of wisdom and banter?  In no order, but as I remember them.....

- My Son of course, Michael Pope

- AJ

- Danny Robson

- Duncan Roe

- Malcolm Herbert                     One of the best speakers who knows his craft!

- Cameron  "Rhubarb......"        always a great contributor when not playing with Maps.

- Darren Wurf

- "Stripes" now in UK

- George Patterson

- Peter Stone

- Renato Luminati

- crazy man Bob Parker ... world traveller extraordinaire!  (G'day Bob!)

- Frans de Bruijin         -  an amazing knowledgeable chap with machinery, code, mechanics you name it!

- Richard Cottrill

- Rick Miles

- Andrew McGlashan

- Zak Martell

- James P

- Keith Bainbridge

- Alex Ferrara in Sydney

- Bianca Gibson from Muttis days.

- Robert Moonen

- Ed Chan

- Alan Chalmers

- Andre Vidic

-..... there'll be others but at my age the memory slows down.  Too much code still in the trash box in my head.

I'll pop into the meeting every now and then in the future,  but I wanted to share my thanks and mention the enjoyment you lot have provided me for my career over the years!

Cheers for now, and may your system run smoothly

Gary Pope

Gary A. Pope
Retired Consultant
B.Bus(ACC)

m: 0408-994799 anytime.
p: 03-97626293
e: g...@alchester.com.au
w: www.alchester.com.au
Remote: Communications powered by ABSoutback3!
“We take care of everything!"