LiveUSB with a pre-release kernel

Danny Robson

Dec 8, 2023, 12:36:47 AM12/8/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a LiveUSB that uses a
6.7-rc kernel?

Alternatively, do you know an easy way to generate such an image?

I'm looking to migrate some system drives that use bcachefs between
machines, and I'd like to have *something* on hand that can at least
mount the filesystem when I break said system (rather than carting the
drives back and forth every time I need to fix it).

Cheers,
Danny Robson.

Howard Joseph

Dec 8, 2023, 12:52:10 AM12/8/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
G'day Danny,

Is this what you are looking for? Or have I just shown my naivete,

Howard

with the average voter."- Winston Churchill

Danny Robson

Dec 8, 2023, 8:31:47 PM12/8/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Howard,

On this occasion I'm looking for more than the kernel itself.

I've installed a pre-release kernel on my current system and am
performing a risky hardware upgrade.

So I need a full and independent recovery environment with the same
capabilities that will allow access to my storage in the event of a failure.

Cheers,
Danny

On 8/12/23 15:51, Howard Joseph wrote:
> G'day Danny,
>
> Is this what you are looking for? Or have I just shown my naivete,
>
> https://www.kernel.org/ <https://www.kernel.org/>

Howard Joseph

Dec 8, 2023, 8:37:29 PM12/8/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
G'day Danny,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am just starting to dip my toes into this space and if I don't speak up, then the learning doesn't progress.

Howard

with the average voter."- Winston Churchill

Danny Robson

Dec 9, 2023, 7:07:07 PM12/9/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
On 8/12/23 15:36, Danny Robson wrote:
> Does anyone know where I might be able to find a LiveUSB that uses a
> 6.7-rc kernel?
>
> Alternatively, do you know an easy way to generate such an image?

I ended up making a full install of something simple (in this case
Ubuntu) to a larger/faster USB drive, and manually installing 6.7-rc3
using the process from:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

Worked fine in the end, but it needed a few attempts to coax the
installer into creating the correct partitions.

Cheers,
Danny Robson

zak martell

Dec 9, 2023, 7:21:01 PM12/9/23
to mlu...@googlegroups.com
Asking questions and commenting is a big part of learning. If you don’t say anything, you will never know the result.

Don’t worry about it. No comments can ever be stupider than mine and they still accept me 😁.

-Zak aka the MacBook kid at the meetup.

ed chan

Dec 10, 2023, 3:44:39 PM12/10/23
to mlug

Hi all,
On Sat, Dec 9, 2023 at 12:31 PM Danny Robson <da...@nerdcruft.net> wrote:
Hi Howard,

On this occasion I'm looking for more than the kernel itself.

I've installed a pre-release kernel on my current system and am
performing a risky hardware upgrade.

So I need a full and independent recovery environment with the same

You could :
1. dump your environment into a fsarchiver file. ( assume your environment can be backed up by fsarchiver )
2. restore that file into a USB key. ( assume your environment is not too big )
3. Install GRUB on the USB key .
4. Remove the sensitive bits from the USB key in case Key goes missing.
99. Boot off the USB key and you have the same environment that you are trying to recover from.

I am told this is a security risk. It is but this is a recovery operation after all, ( and step 4 ). and I assume you know not to leave the USB key around.

capabilities that will allow access to my storage in the event of a failure.

Hope this helps.

Ed Chan