Homework #1, note identification

antoniojl

Sep 9, 2011, 12:38:00 PM9/9/11
to MLSP Fall 2011
Hi all:

Part of the data provided for the homework doesn't seem to match up.
These instructions are mentioned:

Projecting Instrument Notes

For this problem you will transform the harmonica notes of problem 1
to piano notes, by a matrix transform. The piano notes can be
downloaded from here. Note that, in this case, you don't know which
piano notes correspond to which notes from the harmonica. There are 3
parts to this problem:
* Find the piano note corresponding to each note from the harmonica.
The dot product is your friend.
* Find a transformation that converts the harmonica notes to piano
notes. To do so, you must list the spectra for all hamonica notes as a
matrix H. List the correspnding piano notes as a matrix P. There must
be a one-to-one correspondence between the notes represented by the
columns of H and those represented by the columns of P. The and
provide the resulting rotation matrix in your solution. The desired
transformation is a matrix M such that MH ≈ P. Provide the matrix M.
* Synthesize the music piece from Problem 1, using both the actual
piano notes and those obtained by transforming the harmonica notes.
Submit both synthesized recordings.

There are 11 harmonica notes provided (e through a2), but the piano
notes file here:
http://mlsp.cs.cmu.edu/courses/fall2011/class2-3.1-5.sep.11.linearalgebra/homework/pianonotes.tar.gz

contains 18 piano recordings. There are 7 other harmonica recordings
in a previous link:
http://mlsp.cs.cmu.edu/courses/fall2011/class2-3.1-5.sep.11.linearalgebra/homework/blowininthewind/MLSP_HW1_data.tgz

but I don't think these are part of the same exercise. Some of the
piano recordings are chords instead of single notes, and some of the
harmonica notes don't seem to have a direct mapping in the 18 piano
notes. Some are there but on a different octave, and that makes the
comparison prefer the piano chords that contain the actual note
instead of the correct single piano notes that are on a different
octave.

Also interestingly, the harmonica note filenames don't seem to match
with the actual notes - they're 2 tones behind, which makes me further
suspect data mismatch.

Is there something missing from the data, or did I understand
something wrong?

bhiksha raj

Sep 9, 2011, 3:52:48 PM9/9/11
to mlsp-fa...@googlegroups.com
a) The first problem (blowing in the wind) is not related to Polyushka
Polye, so please dont mix and match the notes.

b) For every harmonica note there is a piano note, but not vice versa.
So you have to find the right piano notes to use -- *automatically*,
and not by ear.

c) The harmonica note names may be wrong. My musical knowledge is
suspect -- I can play the harmonica a little, but I don't know what
notes I'm playing :-)

-Bhiksha

--
Bhiksha Raj