NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 4 May 2000 (#2000-252)

Automatic digest processor

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00

Topics of the day:

1. MISC> [DUC] INFO/NYT: Wyoming Schools Are Internet Wired
2. MSIC> [DUC] INFO/NYT: Thomas Jefferson Papers Online Fulltext ....
3. K12> [netsites] Teachers for Life Online
4. MISC> [netsites] Tracking Endangered Animals
5. MISC> [netsites] Star Chefs
6. RESOUR> New e-mail virus

| |
| Archives for Net-Happenings can be found at |
| http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/scout/caservices/net-hap/ |

Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:48:20 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Author: MICHAEL JANOFSKY
Title: Rural School Is Now Wired to the World
Source Date: May 4, 2000
Resource Type: News Article
Description/Keywords: Internet/WWW, Internet Access,
Elementary-Secondary Education, Wyoming, Schools
(Free Registration Required by the New York Times)

May 4, 2000
Rural School Is Now Wired to the World
By MICHAEL JANOFSKY

Unlike most states, Wyoming has not taken a big bite of America's
booming economy. Faced with sluggish job growth and a steady exodus of
college graduates to other states, state officials focused on Internet
access in the classroom as a critical component in equalizing educational
opportunities and developing job skills. As a result, Wyoming this
academic year became the first state to wire all its public schools --
even those as small and remote as Willow Creek, here in central Wyoming.
And there are quite a few others: Among Wyoming's 234 elementary schools,
19 have fewer than 10 students this year. The state average is about eight
students for every computer.

"Every child in Wyoming now has the opportunity to develop to his or
her own potential," Gov. Jim Geringer, who began the push for statewide
Internet access in schools more than five years ago, said in an interview.
"By finding a way to touch every school, the next great leader from
business or government could come from that one place."

Check My Articles on Database Searching
http://www.Edu-CyberPG.com/
Click on Ringleaders and Then Reference
Diversity University Collaboratory Mailing List (DUC)
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/diversity.html

Full Story May Be Read At:
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/05/biztech/articles/04wyoming.html

MSNBC.com AND USA TODAY HOT SITE PICK AWARDS
The Educational CyberPlayGround <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com>
Diversity University Collaboratory Listserv [DUC]
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/diversity.html>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:48:25 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Author: IAN AUSTEN and BRUCE HEADLAM
Title: Papers of Jefferson Can Be Viewed Online
Source Date: May 3, 2000
Resource Type: News Article
Description/Keywords: Thomas Jefferson, Online Documents, Papers,
Library of Congress, American Memories, RCA Docuport, Faxing,
Photocopying, Reduced Cost, Video Game, Tupperware, Online Sales,
Corbis, Microsoft, Acquisition, Christies, Online Art Aution, Digital
Images
(Free Registration Required by the New York Times)

May 3, 2000
NEWS WATCH

Papers of Jefferson Can Be Viewed Online

The Library of Congress is marking its
bicentennial in part by honoring Thomas
Jefferson. Congress bought Jefferson's
collection of 6,487 books after the British
burned the first Library of Congress in 1814.
(About two-thirds of Jefferson's books went
up in flames during another fire in 1851.)

As one of its Jefferson projects, the Library
has posted online images of all its Jefferson
papers, about 83,000 items, at
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/mtjhtml/mtjhome.html
.
IAN AUSTEN

For Business Travelers Who Still Use Paper

The RCA Docuport, made by Thomson, is a way for business travlelers to
bring the fax and photocopier along for the trip, and it adds a scanner
for good measure. With a thickness of just 1 1/4 inches when folded and a
length of 12 inches, the device should fit into most briefcases or laptop
cases. It contains a rechargeable battery and also runs from standard wall
outlets.

IAN AUSTEN

New Video Game Glasses Do Your Blinking for You

Elsa Technologies has tried to introduce
another dimension into the video game
experience with the 3-D Revelator. The
glasses use L.C.D. shutters that open and
close over alternating eyes 120 times per
second. That creates the mental effect of
seeing the video image from two angles.
(Otherwise the imageappears out of
register.)

BRUCE HEADLAM

Buying Tupperware Online Lets You Skip the Party

With a new service called My.Tupperware.com, you can do business with
your neighborhood Tupperware representative while keeping your evenings
free.

At the company's new site, 75,000 United States sales representatives
can create personal home pages using preformatted designs. Besides listing
Tupperware parties and Tupperware bingos, the personal pages can include
Tupperware testimonials and recipes.

IAN AUSTEN

Corbis's Archive of Images Will Add Christie's Images

Corbis, the image archive company owned by
William H. Gates, Microsoft's chairman, is
adding to its collection yet again. The
company announced today that it planned to
put online thousands of digital images owned
by Christie's, the art auction house.

The Christie's images include all the works
that have been sold through the auction house
in the last 20 years: more than 500,000
transparencies, ranging from Asian and
African art to Old Master paintings, and from
modern and contemporary art to Hollywood
memorabilia. The non-exclusive licensing
arrangement between the two firms will provide
Corbis's customers with a selection of those images.
http:// www.corbis.com (.)

Web Sites Related to This Article:

American Memory: The Library of Congress
The Thomas Jefferson Papers
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/mtjhtml/mtjhome.html

Corbis
http:// www.corbis.com