NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 5 May 2000 - Special issue (#2000-254)

Automatic digest processor

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00

Topics in this special issue:

1. MISC> Update: WIW Writers Conference, May 12-13, Washington, DC
2. MISC> Access Place Women
3. MISC> [WebSiteDaily] Napster MP3 Banned On Campus
4. SCI> T2T> biomes sites
5. K12> Valerie's Best of the Web Links
6. PROJ> Care Project
7. K12> Education Site: Nations of the World
8. PROJ> Mind's-Eye Monster Project Exchange
9. NEWSLTR> May Issue: Classroom Connect Newsletter
10. MISC> [DUC] INFO/NYT: All the Information Your Government Thinks Its Fit
To Print: Censoring the Internet by Governments

| |
| Archives for Net-Happenings can be found at |
| http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/scout/caservices/net-hap/ |

Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:22:08 -0500
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:22:16 -0500
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:22:21 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:22:27 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:34:13 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:56:20 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:56:25 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:56:31 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:56:37 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:56:45 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> [DUC] INFO/NYT: All the Information Your Government Thinks Its
Author: CARL S. KAPLAN
Title: Governments Learn How to Censor the Internet, Report Says
Source Date: May 5, 2000
Resource Type: News Article
Description/Keywords: Foreign Countries, Internet Access, Freedom of
Speech, Censorship, Governments, Filtering/Blocking, Access Cost, Legal
Regulation, Legal Penalties, Imprisonment, Online Surveillance
(Free Registration Required by the New York Times)

May 5, 2000
By CARL S. KAPLAN
Governments Learn How to Censor the
Internet, Report Says

Conventional wisdom dictates that governments cannot really control
speech on the Internet. Try to stamp out an idea or a conversation, the
theory goes, and users of the global network will re-route around the
local "damage" and continue talking as before.

The theory is wrong. In reality, many
governments around the world are doing a
pretty good job of censoring or restricting
speech online. That is the conclusion of a report
on world press freedom released this week by
Freedom House, a respected New York-based
human rights organization.

"The Internet is the new technology, and we're seeing censorship in
many kinds of countries now," said Leonard R. Sussman, a senior scholar at
Freedom House and author of the report. It includes an essay, "Censor Dot
Gov: The Internet and Press Freedom 2000," and a 30-page annual survey of
press freedoms in 186 countries.

Countries use a variety of methods to control online speech, Sussman
explained in his essay. At the first level, some simply prevent a majority
of their citizens from gaining access to the Internet, either passively
through a high-cost telecommunications infrastructure that limits
participation, or more directly through laws or licensing.

Web Sites Related to This Article:

Freedom House
http://www.freedomhouse.org/

Freedom House's Press Freedom Survey 2000, including essay
on Internet censorship by Leonard R. Sussman
http://www.freedomhouse.org/pfs2000/

Electronic Privacy Information Center
http://www.epic.org/

Global Internet Liberty Campaign
http://www.gilc.org/

International Freedom of Expression eXchange
http://www.ifex.org/

"Freedom of Expression on the Internet," report from Human
Rights Watch
http://www.hrw.org/wr2k/Issues-04.htm

"The Twenty Enemies of the Internet," report from Reporters Sans
Frontieres
http://www.rsf.fr/internet/ennemis.html

"10 Worst Enemies of the Press," report by Committee to Protect
Journalists
http://www.cpj.org/enemies/enemies_00.html

Digital Freedom Network
http://www.dfn.org/

Check My Articles on Database Searching
http://www.Edu-CyberPG.com/
Click on Ringleaders and Then Reference
Diversity University Collaboratory Mailing List (DUC)
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/diversity.html

Full Story May Be Read At:
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/05/cyber/cyberlaw/05law.html

MSNBC.com AND USA TODAY HOT SITE PICK AWARDS
The Educational CyberPlayGround <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com>
Diversity University Collaboratory Listserv [DUC]
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/diversity.html>

End of NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 5 May 2000 - Special issue (#2000-254)