NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 28 Apr 2000 to 1 May 2000 - Special issue (#2000-240)

Automatic digest processor

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00

Topics in this special issue:

1. K12> ED's Oasis MasterSearch lesson plan contest
2. MISC> [netsites] Deja view
3. RESOUR> [WebSiteDaily] Ultimate Internet Law Meta-index
4. MISC> [netsites] Collecting Channel
5. UPDATED> TURTLE TRACKS Issue 37 is out!
6. PROJ> [HILITES] Ages 5-19: The Community NET-Workers
7. PROJ> [HILITES] Ages 10-18: Porject PigeoNet
8. MISC> [DUC] INFO/NYT: Justice Department Proposal Advocates Breakup of
Microsoft and Other Restrictive Proposals
9. MISC> [DUC] INFO/NYT: MP3 Ruled in Court Decision to be in Violation of
Copyright Law

| |
| Archives for Net-Happenings can be found at |
| http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/scout/caservices/net-hap/ |

Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 07:20:38 -0500
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 07:20:43 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 07:20:49 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 07:20:54 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 07:20:59 -0500
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 07:21:04 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 07:21:10 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 07:21:15 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> [DUC] INFO/NYT: Justice Department Proposal Advocates Breakup of
Microsoft and Other Restrictive Proposals

Author: JOEL BRINKLEY
Title: U.S. and 17 States Want Microsoft Broken Into 2 Competing
Companies
Source Date: April 29, 2000
Resource Type: News Article
Description/Keywords: Microsoft, Antitrust Case, Penalty Phase, United
States Justice Department, State Governments, Penalty Proposals, Company
Breakup
(Free Registration Required by the New York Times)

April 29, 2000
THE OVERVIEW
U.S. and 17 States Want Microsoft
Broken Into 2 Competing Companies
By JOEL BRINKLEY

WASHINGTON, April 28 -- Determined to change the rules of competition
in the software industry, the Justice Department and 17 states asked a
federal judge today to break Microsoft into two parts and seriously
restrain its behavior while the breakup is being carried out.

Federal and state officials, partners in the
long-running antitrust case against
Microsoft, said their approach was
intended to encourage market forces to
reshape incentives in the software
industry. The two resulting companies,
they said, would have strong motivations
to compete with each other while also
forming new alliances with other
companies and products that Microsoft
now shuns.

Joel I. Klein, the assistant attorney
general who is head of the Justice
Department's antitrust division, said that
under the proposal, "neither ongoing
government regulation nor the
self-interest of an entrenched monopolist
will decide what is best for consumers."
Instead, he said, "the marketplace will
decide."

But Microsoft's chairman, William H.
Gates, reaffirmed his company's
determination to fight not only the
proposed remedy but the antitrust finding.
"Breaking up Microsoft into separate
companies is not in the interest of
consumers and is not supported by
anything in the lawsuit," he said.
"Dismantling Microsoft would hurt the
company's ability to continue to
innovate."

Full Story May Be Read At:
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/04/biztech/articles/29soft.html

Source: New York Times (NYT)
Author: STEVE LOHR
Title: U.S. Microsoft Solution Is Called Drastic Surgery
Source Date: April 29, 2000
Resource Type: News Article
Description/Keywords: Microsoft, Antitrust Case, Penalty Phase, United
States Justice Department, State Governments, Penalty Proposals,
Evaluation, Assessment, Issues
(Free Registration Required by the New York Times)

April 29, 2000
THE PENALTY
U.S. Microsoft Solution Is Called Drastic
Surgery
By STEVE LOHR

Shortly before the government filed its antitrust suit against
Microsoft two years ago, Joel Klein, the assistant attorney general in
charge of the Justice Department's antitrust division, explained in a
private meeting his concept of "surgical" government intervention. In the
case of Microsoft, he said, it could well include breaking up the company.

"It would be drastic surgery, but it's
surgical," Mr. Klein said, according to a
person who attended the meeting.

With its proposal yesterday, filed in a
federal court in Washington, the
government has formally opted for
surgery, a split-up of Microsoft into two
companies and a variety of restraints on
its business practices for three years. But
the government regards that surgery as
the conservative treatment -- less
regulatory and less likely to harm
consumers or the industry than the
alternatives.

"The government has put together a well-thought-out package, but this
is uncharted territory," observed Hal Varian, an economist at the
University of California at Berkeley. "No one can say with real assurance
that this is the right answer."

Check My Articles on Database Searching
http://www.Edu-CyberPG.com/
Click on Ringleaders and Then Reference
Diversity University Collaboratory Mailing List (DUC)
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/diversity.html

Full Story May Be Read At:
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/04/biztech/articles/29assess.html

MSNBC.com AND USA TODAY HOT SITE PICK AWARDS
The Educational CyberPlayGround <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com>
Diversity University Collaboratory Listserv [DUC]
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/diversity.html>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 07:21:20 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> [DUC] INFO/NYT: MP3 Ruled in Court Decision to be in Violation
of Copyright Law

Author: AMY HARMON with JOHN SULLIVAN
Title: Music Industry Wins Ruling in U.S. Court Judges Says MP3.com
Violated Copyright Law
Source Date: April 29, 2000
Resource Type: News Article
Description/Keywords: Music Industry, Digital Recording, Internet/WWW,
Downloading, MP3, Recording Database, Copyright Law, Court Decision,
Copyright Violations
(Free Registration Required by the New York Times)

April 29, 2000
Music Industry Wins Ruling in U.S. Court
Judges Says MP3.com Violated Copyright Law
By AMY HARMON with JOHN SULLIVAN

A federal judge gave a key victory to the recording industry yesterday
in its effort to harness the distribution of digital music over the
Internet, ruling that MP3.com had violated copyright law by compiling a
vast online music database for commercial use.

With a brief order in Federal District Court in
Manhattan, Judge Jed S. Rakoff granted the motion
by the five major music labels for a judgment against
MP3.com, which is based in San Diego. The judge
said he would issue a full opinion on the matter
sometime in the next two weeks.

Shares of MP3.com, a leading Internet music
company, plunged by nearly 40 percent in Nasdaq
trading after the judgment was released yesterday.
Although financial damages, if any, would be
determined later, the decision could have a drastic
impact on the three-year-old company, best known
for operating a Web site where unsigned artists
distribute their music free.

The company said it would appeal the decision.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/04/biztech/articles/29music.html

MSNBC.com AND USA TODAY HOT SITE PICK AWARDS
The Educational CyberPlayGround <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com>
Diversity University Collaboratory Listserv [DUC]
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/diversity.html>

End of NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 28 Apr 2000 to 1 May 2000 - Special issue (#2000-240)