NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 3 May 2000 to 4 May 2000 - Special issue (#2000-251)

1 view

Automatic digest processor

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00

Topics in this special issue:

1. SCI> A Mid-summer's Microbe Hunt
2. K12>< Update -- ED Initiatives (May 3, 2000)
3. PROJ> [K12OPPS] YES I Can! Science, Virtual Expedition to the Arctic
4. K12> [K12OPPS] A Mountain Classroom -- Teacher Institute
5. PROJ> [K12OPPS] Kid Writing author to chat at Teachers.Net
6. K12> [K12OPPS] You'd love to teach a classic novel...but you just don't
have the time.
7. MISC> [DUC] NEWS: Supreme Court Rules That Internet Service Provider is
Not Liable for Content of Messages Posted on Its Bulletin Boards
8. RESOUR> [netsites] Sociology Internet Resources
9. RESOUR> [netsites] Artcyclopedia
10. MISC> ZDNet: Inter@ctive Week: Central Question: Whose Internet Is It?
11. MISC> Wednesday - Web Launch of the Day - May 03, 2000 - New Internet
Company Combines Email with Postal Mail

| |
| Archives for Net-Happenings can be found at |
| http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/scout/caservices/net-hap/ |

Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:22:10 -0500
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:26:45 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: K12>< Update -- ED Initiatives (May 3, 2000)

Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:26:53 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:26:59 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:27:04 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:27:10 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: K12> [K12OPPS] You'd love to teach a classic novel...but you just
don't have the time.

Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:27:17 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> [DUC] NEWS: Supreme Court Rules That Internet Service Provider
is Not Liable for Content of Messages Posted on Its Bulletin Boards

Author: Brian Sullivan
Title: Supreme Court rejects appeal of ISP e-mail liability ruling
Source Date: May 2, 2000
Resource Type: News Article
Description/Keywords: Internet Service Providers, Bulletin Boards,
Posting Responsibility, Supreme Court, Case Appeal, Appeal Denial

Supreme Court rejects appeal of ISP e-mail liability ruling
By Brian Sullivan
05/02/2000

The Supreme Court yesterday let stand a lower court ruling that
says Internet service providers (ISP) can't be held liable when a person
is defamed in e-mail or online bulletin board messages.

Acting without comment, the court rejected an appeal filed by
plaintiff Alexander G. Lunney after the New York Court of Appeals
dismissed his suit against Prodigy Services Co. late last year.

The suit stems from a 1994 incident in which an imposter sent
several vulgar e-mail messages in Lunney's name to a Boy Scout leader in
the town where he lived. Lunney's father sued Prodigy claiming that the
boy, then 15, was "stigmatized by being falsely cast as the author of
these messages," according to court records.

In its December ruling, the New York Court said Prodigy couldn't
be held liable for the stigma created by the false messages because it
can't be considered the publisher of the messages.

Check My Articles on Database Searching
http://www.Edu-CyberPG.com/
Click on Ringleaders and Then Reference
Diversity University Collaboratory Mailing List (DUC)
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/diversity.html

Full Story May Be Read At:
http://www.computerworld.com/home/print.nsf/idgnet/000502DB46

MSNBC.com AND USA TODAY HOT SITE PICK AWARDS
The Educational CyberPlayGround <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com>
Diversity University Collaboratory Listserv [DUC]
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/diversity.html>

Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:27:22 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:27:28 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:27:36 -0500
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:27:41 -0500
From: Gleason Sackmann <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> Wednesday - Web Launch of the Day - May 03,
2000 - New Internet Company Combines Email with Postal Mail