[mac80211] send ethernet packet

Coiso22

Jun 11, 2014, 11:00:23 AM6/11/14
Hi all,

I am trying to send a custom ethernet packet through a kernel module (mac80211) and I am facing some problems to understand what I really need to do.

Until now, I realize that I need to create an sk_buff and send it via dev_queue_xmit function. Am I right?

My problem is how to properly create and configure the sk_buff with my data (I only need to pass a number).

In order to give you some context, I am working on a research in IEEE 802.11 and I am developing a mechanism to send the packets in an energy efficient way. Therefore, I need to employ a specific algorithm before adding the Traffic Indication Map (TIM) into the Beacon frame and, depending on the result of this algorithm, I need to send an extra message to the station. This is why I cannot use just a raw socket in the user space.

Any idea how to achieve this goal? Or any point to a "guide" that help me to understand what I really need to do?

The used kernel version is "3.2.0-4-686-pae".

Best regards,
Coiso22