ARRRGH!!!!!! <sound of an installer's rending garments>

charles

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00

I'm trying to install LinuxPPC on a 7200/75.

I have two severe bones to pick with this process.

First, guess which firmware I've got. Right... "OpenFirmare Version = 1.0.5"
scrolls by on the screen when I boot off the CD. The monitor comes up
in X with dark blue writing on a black background on a yellow background.
Murder to read.

I tried to do what Mr. Mimms wrote about but it seems the man was a magician
or possessed with God-like powers or something,

I booted up holding down the Cmd-Opt-O-F keys. Seems to work fine except
that the output seems to be going to serial port, or some other bit bucket
where I have no idea what's happening.

The line "Type at the prompt:" implies that there is a prompt. Not on my
machine...

What prompt? Where is it? Am I missing something? Yes! A damn prompt.

Next, I'm reinstalling over an older version. LinuxPPC 1999Q3. I have installed
Red Hat 5.1 on a Pentium. I have partitionned drives before. PerlDisk is
cute but I wish that the cursor keys worked.

I set up the folowing partitions:

swap 128MB

/ 64MB

/Root2 64MB (quick recovery mirror of root)

/opt 256MB

/usr 1.0GB

/var 128MB

/home 256MB

/tools 64MB

This worked fine with MkLinux, LinuxPPC 1999Q3. It even worked on a PC
with Red Hat 5.1 and a sligtly smaller drive!

When I format and mount the partitions, I get a message telling me that
root is too small. Its telling me (dimly, in blue on black,) that I need
450 MB on a partition to install the minimal packages.

What the [expletive deleted] does it try to do do? Put everything in root?
Then why have any other partitions? Or any other users? Or any security?

Meanwhile, it seems to be installing, slowly, (its a only a five year old
7200/75 after all, though it is
quite capable of saturating my DSL modem serving pages.)

I'm over 1/3 of the way through, which sems to indicate that the error
window is the result of the same quality control as the manual and the
firmware patch installation documentation.

I'm NOT exactly a newby. I'm typing this on my G3 listening to MP3s. In
between the G3 and the 7200 is my wife's iMac. I've set up my ADSL modem
and LinkSys DSL router myself. As soon as the 7200 is up and running, I
will configure Apache, FTP in several dozen megs of content and use it
to shove pages pages out to the Web.

I design software for a living and, while I think M$ Windows sucks technically,
and have to deal with it every-damn-day, I'm getting the dictinct impression
that Linux documentation was written by Racter. Strike that, Racter scanned
better.

Okay... Music hath soothed my savage breast... How do I install the 1.0.5
patch since the Mac doesn't have a toggle front panel? Or should I even
bother at this point?

-Charles-A.

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/