new xfs with XF86-4.0.1?

Martin Costabel

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00

You also need to change the server number from unix/:-1 to unix/:7100.

--
Martin

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/

Stephen R. Anderson

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00

I recently built the XF86 4.0.1 package, and (unlike various others on
this list) had little trouble getting the new X server to work on my
B&W G3. However, I've noticed that since doing that, the X font server
(xfs) doesn't get started during normal boots. Building the new X
server involved rebuilding a lot of other X stuff, including xfs, and
I see from the xfs man page that this version of xfs doesn't seem to
be at all consistent with the way xfs is started in
/etc/rc.d/init.s/xfs. The new xfs seems to want a configuration file,
and doesn't seem to support the options (-daemon, -droppriv) that it
gets called with at boot time.

Have I misdagnosed this problem? If not, has someone got a replacement
for the xfs init script?

--Steve Anderson

Nelson Abramson

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00

"Stephen R. Anderson" wrote:

> <snip>

> (xfs) doesn't get started during normal boots. Building the new X
> server involved rebuilding a lot of other X stuff, including xfs, and

xfs is part of the X package (X Font Server).

> I see from the xfs man page that this version of xfs doesn't seem to
> be at all consistent with the way xfs is started in
> /etc/rc.d/init.s/xfs. The new xfs seems to want a configuration file,
> and doesn't seem to support the options (-daemon, -droppriv) that it
> gets called with at boot time.
>
> Have I misdagnosed this problem? If not, has someone got a replacement
> for the xfs init script?

Go edit your rc script and modify the execute line with the appropriate
switches :-) If you can more the rc script, and you can read the man
page, you can edit the script so that it's correct (of course make a
backup copy..)

HTH
--Nelson Abramson