G4s and sound?

Ken Beaudrie

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00

"David J. Topper" wrote:

> Anyone ever get a workaround for the sound modules not loading? I've
> seen lots of chatter about the problem, but no solutions. I've
disabled
> it from auto-loading at boot time. But modprobe fails when I try to
> load the module.
>
> I'm using LinuxPPC 2000 with 2.2.15pre kernel (included) on a 450mhz
G4
> (no AGP).

AFAIK, this is only a problem when you use BootX; you should be using
yaboot anyways.

HTH
--Nelson Abramson

On this note I have a strange problem with yaboot. Using bootx I have no
problem booting into linux on my G4(non AGP). I have to reboot and
launch from the extension at startup time, I can't launch from the
control panel after Mac OS gets going good, but it works fine for me. I
switched to yaboot last week using a boot partition and the latest
ybin/yaboot 0.17 so that I could get sound working. When I boot from OF
everything gets found and the Linux kernel starts. But sometime shortly
after mounting the root file system (read-only phase) I get these
messages on the console:

Aug 16 17:51:08 puck linuxconf: : error in loading shared libraries:
/lib/libm.so.6: unsupported version 8300 of Verneed record
Aug 16 17:51:14 puck login: PAM [dlerror: libnsl.so.1: invalid ELF
header]
Aug 16 17:51:16 puck login: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_console.so:
invalid ELF header]

It continues to boot to the login prompt at init state 3, but I can
never log in.

I've reloaded glibc-2.1.3-4a a couple of times and replaced the kernel
twice from different sources, but still no joy.

The usual suspects;

vmlinux kernel 2.2.17pre13-ben1
ybin/yaboot 0.17
glibc-2.1.3-4a

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/