LinuxPPC 2000 Install questions

Pete Peters

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00

Posting again. Sorry for the clutter, but I would really like to start
learning how to use Linux rather than spending weeks learning how to install
Linux.

1. What is the procedure for installing LinuxPPC 2000 clean other than
purchasing the CD or downloading the .image and burning a CD? The 2000 User
Guide lists the same info as the 1999 R5 User Guide, which are files and
folders that do not exist on the ftp sites. This also kills trying to do a
FTP install since it's looking for a "RedHat" folder that doesn't exist on
ftp.linuxppc.com or the mirrors.

2. I can install LinuxPPC 1999 R5 from the PowerLogix CD that came w/ my G3
upgrade card. Is there an easy way (ok, I'll settle for a not-so-easy way,
lol) to upgrade from 1999 to 2000 distros? Any gotchas to watch out for?

And, yes, I've search/tried to search the list archives from both
LinuxPPC.org and LinuxPPC.com. Those search engines are pretty funky IMHO.

Other info that may or may not be relevant:

PPC 9500/150 upgraded w/ PowerLogix G3 400/200/1 card
64 MB ram (soon to be 128 MB)
Mac OS 8.6
(2) 2 GB SCSI hard drives: sda is Mac OS, sdb is LinuxPPC (partitioned as /
and swap)
ATI Rage Orion 128 w/ 16 MB video
USR v90 modem
Built-in ethernet connected to T1

Please also respond to my email address. TIA.

Pete
ppe...@broadcastzone.com

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/

Chris Brown

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 03:30:15PM -0700, Pete Peters wrote:

> Posting again. Sorry for the clutter, but I would really like to start
> learning how to use Linux rather than spending weeks learning how to install
> Linux.
>
> 1. What is the procedure for installing LinuxPPC 2000 clean other than
> purchasing the CD or downloading the .image and burning a CD? The 2000 User
> Guide lists the same info as the 1999 R5 User Guide, which are files and
> folders that do not exist on the ftp sites. This also kills trying to do a
> FTP install since it's looking for a "RedHat" folder that doesn't exist on
> ftp.linuxppc.com or the mirrors.
>
> 2. I can install LinuxPPC 1999 R5 from the PowerLogix CD that came w/ my G3
> upgrade card. Is there an easy way (ok, I'll settle for a not-so-easy way,
> lol) to upgrade from 1999 to 2000 distros? Any gotchas to watch out for?

There are many ways to upgrade from 1999 to 2000... most are a headache I
basically upgraded by manually (ok, not completely manually... I used a
little script I wrote) comparing my current rpms and the ones on the cd,
and upgrading them by hand...

If you want to do an ftp/http install, you might want to try YellowDog
(http://www.yellowdoglinux.com)... they haven't messed with the directory
structure, and still use the text mode installer, so you should be able to
do a network install...

Pete Peters

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00

FWIW, I'm an old DOS guy that was dragged kickin' and screamin' into the
Windoze world. I usually became the DOS guru because I would read the
documentation. So together, let's read the instructions carefully, eh? From
the LinuxPPC 2000 User's Guide dtd 15 Feb 2000, page 17:

Next, create a new folder/directory called "RedHat" in the "software"
folder, and then create folders called "base", "cksums", "instimage",
"maps", and "RPMS" inside the "RedHat" folder. If you use the Mac OS, you
should end up with something like the image to the right.

[There is an image in the 1999 User's Guide, but not the 2000 User's Guide.
Strike one.]

Next, go to one of the mirrors above and into the linuxppc-2000/RedHat
directory.

[There is NO /RedHat directory on ftp.linuxppc.com or any of the mirrors.
Strike two.]

I will use the ftp.cdrom.com and /pub/linux/linuppc/linuxppc-2000/RedHat/
directory as an example.

[There is nothing in the linuxppc folder on ftp.cdrom.com. He swings, but
fouls into the dugout.]

First you will need to copy the debu.log.ppc, and redhat.image.gz files
into...

[All stop! These files don't exist on ftp.cdrom.com or anywhere else listed.
Strike three!]

Next batter....

Yes, I'm expressing a little, no, a lot of frustrated attitude here.

Pete

> Posting again. Sorry for the clutter, but I would really like to start
> learning how to use Linux rather than spending weeks learning how to
install
> Linux.

Those are one and the same thing IMHO

Just give it a shot, you'll learn a lot. Be patient. Read instructions
carefully. Think.

Adrian

pangaea

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00