Problems installing on 8500/132

Scott Kevill

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00

Hi all,

Just downloaded the install and full images for LinuxPPC 2000 today, burned
to CD, then attempted to install after booting successfully from the CD.

The Mac in question is a standard 8500/132, 96 megs of RAM, standard video,
with the Quantum Fireball 1.2G HD internal SCSI that came with it.

In the graphical installer, clicking "Partition Drives" does nothing. Upon
further examination, the output xterm shows:
Starting perldisk
Can't call method "read_partition_map" on an undefined value at
/live/live_sbin/perldisk line 57.

Then launched an xterm and attempted to use pdisk:
[root@localhost ~]# pdisk /dev/sda
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/sda' (No such device)

Tried other variations just in case (sda1, sdb, hda, hda1, hdb, etc), but
all gave the same response.

From MacOS, I tried the pdisk SIOUX application and that worked fine. I
partitioned it exactly as described in the docs -- including the
Apple_UNIX_SVR2 partitions.

Back in the graphical installer, exactly the same results as before at all
stages. Also, the "Select Partitions" button in the installer says that no
partitions have been created -- with output showing:
"Read on closed filehandle <DISKF> at /root/bin/xinstaller line 470.

This is a pretty standard machine, so I'd hope something like this is a
simple one that I'm missing. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott.
--
Scott Kevill