Online subject selection

Ros Lee

Aug 20, 2019, 1:43:55 AM8/20/19
to MLE Reference Group
Our school plans to review the way it does subject selection which at the moment is a bit of a marathon.  Our school roll is around 2000 students and our LMS is Kamar.

I would be grateful for feedback from anyone using SchoolPoint as well any recommendations for other online systems.

Thanks
Ros Lee

Jake Wills

Aug 20, 2019, 3:04:15 PM8/20/19
to MLE Reference Group
Hi Ros,

We don't use schoolpoint, but know quite a few schools that are and they are all very happy.

We are a school of 1500 use google forms and a beautiful google spreadsheet that ties it all together...
All the details for our courses are here: https://portal.kc.school.nz/courses/

Everyone can see which kids have and haven't chosen their options, and what they have chosen:

Screenshot 1.png

We can easily get a list of students that haven't done their options with their email addresses to easily email them a reminder.

Screenshot 2.png

We get a global summary that is constantly updating to see how numbers line up compared to previous years.

Screenshot 3.png

TICs of subjects can get a list of the kids who have chosen an option, as well as a backup, to be checking if kids are making appropriate selections before the final checks at the start of next year

Screenshot 4.png

And can also get a list of kids who are in a particular option this year, and if they have chosen to do that option next year.

Screenshot 5.png

This then all gets imported into KAMAR once the selections are finished.

We've been using the same system for about 4 years now, and made tweaks each time, but it's working pretty well, and apart from my time to set up costs nothing.

Happy to share any of the files with anyone that is interested... just let me know.

Jake.

Ros Lee

Aug 20, 2019, 4:27:27 PM8/20/19
to MLE Reference Group
Hi Jake.  Thanks so much for sharing.  This looks great - I'll pass the info on and probably get back to you in due course re file sharing!!

Cheers
Ros

ginni

Aug 20, 2019, 4:38:23 PM8/20/19
to MLE Reference Group
Hi Ros

We use the online subject selection within the Kamar parent portal. It was a seamless transition from students filling in paper copies many years ago!   It works really well and reduces the need for anyone to have to input the subjects. We only open it to the student on the portal.  We export it a few times along the way to see who hasn't completed it so they can be individually chased up.

Ginni

Kevin Byrne

Aug 20, 2019, 6:22:15 PM8/20/19
to MLE Reference Group
Hi Ros

We use KAMAR Portal and works well - at the end on Subject Selection Day we had over 90% of courses entered for 2020. We use the course confirmation button to confirm course, the subject selection notes area for any comments needed about the courses selected and in the current year markbooks teachers put recomendations for next year eg a student in 1SCI may get a recommendation to continue "Yes" with optional comment  "(2BIO, 2CHE, 2PHY - could do any 2 of the 3 or 2SCI)". You can select / print etc on course confirmed to identify those for follow-up. Then HODs can access in KAMAR those who have selected their courses to check prequisites etc as needed. Happy to share kby...@npghs.school.nz

Kevin

Sean Richards

Aug 20, 2019, 6:41:46 PM8/20/19
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Many of our customers capture subject selection by building a homepage in Schoolbox's portal to capture this information via our form builder, which is the same type of approach as using Google Forms with the added benefit of a better UX as it's all in the one portal.

I see a few references to Kamar here. Thought I would also throw in that we're in the final steps of completing our Kamar integration (for a few Kamar schools) which will also mean that as students complete the form, it already knows who they are, making for a further UX improvement.

This integration will enable schools to select a best-of-breed school portal and LMS and pair it with Kamar for their SIS. We're confident this will become the market leading integrated solution for Kamar schools.

Sean RichardsDirector and Co-Founder

Schoolbox
Level 6, 697 Burke Rd Camberwell VIC 3124
P: +61 3 9882 6909D: +61 3 9882 6909, Ext: 101M: +61 401 484 973 | schoolbox.com.au
Schoolbox InstagramSchoolbox TwitterSchoolbox FacebookSchoolbox YouTubeSchoolbox LinkedIn

Sheldon Lendrum

Aug 20, 2019, 8:21:30 PM8/20/19
to MLE Reference Group
Hi Ros,

Happy to hear you're interested in SchoolPoint, I would be happy to give you contacts details of any of the 80+ schools using  SchoolPoint.
Local to you include TBC, Katikati and Te Puke.

Our schools range up to 2000+ students in size.

Key points of difference, are our integration with KAMAR, synchronising your learning/caregiver information.
The main advantage is the way we present the information. The KAMAR Portal works well, but is limited in the display of course information.

Here are a couple of examples of schools and how they present the information to current students. They are also using it effectively as part of their intentional marketing - an online course booklet is far more useful than PDF's :)

You can see a semi-recently updated  list on our website;
Here you can also sign up for a free trail, set up the Directory sync in KAMAR and your students can be picking courses in as little as 15 minutes.

I'm also happy to talk to you or any one else interested who is interested, through our roadmap, the current features and the ways we can allow you to set rules based on learning area, minimums, maximums and all those specific scenarios.

Regards
Sheldon Lendrum
Owner / Director

ph.: +64 3 281 7559 ( Christchurch

D R Tester

Aug 20, 2019, 8:51:11 PM8/20/19
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
It is our second year of using SchoolPoint here at St John's College, cannot rate it highly enough, well worth the yearly cost for what it brings to us in terms of accuracy, organisational efficiency and the quality of information that can be delivered to ensure that students are in a position to make informed decisions. As it integrates with Kamar there are some great features too - eg SchoolPoint knows students current courses this year, so can only display certain courses based on certain subjects being completed this year (prereqs ...). You can also set up scenario's - a student cannot do this and this etc......

Have a look at out implementation of SchoolPoint.

Regards,
Dom

Ros Lee

Aug 27, 2019, 9:45:12 PM8/27/19
to MLE Reference Group
Thanks for all your feedback.  I will checkout your recommendations and may be back in touch with those who have offered to share :-)