Live streaming school events

37 views
Skip to first unread message

Ros Lee

unread,
Oct 14, 2020, 11:53:37 PM10/14/20
to MLE Reference Group
Is there anyone in this group I could chat to about live streaming school events, eg concerts, prizegivings etc to a public audience?  

I'm interested in privacy implications, potential for misuse of the content as well as technical considerations.  

Thanks in anticipation

Ros Lee
Head of IT Services 
T. +64 7 576 2316 ext. 744  |  www.otc.school.nz  

OTCEmailSignatureLogo250px.gif

  

Mike Etheridge

unread,
Oct 15, 2020, 12:15:39 AM10/15/20
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
OBS https://obsproject.com/ is a widely used tool, multi platform, free and open source.

The streaming service you use can be a problem if the event has got protected material, e.g a group performs some music its, because the algorithms can detect this and cut your stream off.

Mike

On 15/10/2020, at 4:53 PM, Ros Lee <rl...@otc.school.nz> wrote:

Is there anyone in this group I could chat to about live streaming school events, eg concerts, prizegivings etc to a public audience?  

I'm interested in privacy implications, potential for misuse of the content as well as technical considerations.  

Thanks in anticipation

Ros Lee
Head of IT Services 
T. +64 7 576 2316 ext. 744  |  www.otc.school.nz  

<OTCEmailSignatureLogo250px.gif>

  

This email and any attachments contain confidential information which may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or information in it. If it has been received in error please notify us immediately by return email and then delete/destroy the message. This email is not necessarily the official view or communication of Otumoetai College.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MLE Reference Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mle-reference-g...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mle-reference-group/66bbc8cd-30de-4f32-8054-e944f5ca13aan%40googlegroups.com.
<OTCEmailSignatureLogo250px.gif>

William Hamilton

unread,
Oct 15, 2020, 12:39:10 AM10/15/20
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ros, in a previous life I had Richard Naylor from R2 http://www.r2.co.nz/ or https://twitter.com/r2rjn do some work for me.  He is a well-respected fellow down my way in Internet circles and has been around for a while.  An interesting chap in his own right but you may be more interested in his business R2.   Worth a quick email or call; I am sure he can provide some direction for the technical side of things.

image.png

Shaun See

unread,
Oct 15, 2020, 1:14:13 AM10/15/20
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ros,
For certain content (using music) you may need a license if you’ve streaming. https://www.getlicensed.co.nz/licence-options/hear-more/
Cheers,
Shaun

This email and any attachments contain confidential information which may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or information in it. If it has been received in error please notify us immediately by return email and then delete/destroy the message. This email is not necessarily the official view or communication of Otumoetai College.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MLE Reference Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mle-reference-g...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mle-reference-group/66bbc8cd-30de-4f32-8054-e944f5ca13aan%40googlegroups.com.
--

Please note: This email message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use, disclose, copy or retain it. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email, and delete the email. Thank you

Dave Lane

unread,
Oct 15, 2020, 1:44:44 AM10/15/20
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com, Shaun See
You can also use specifically Creative Commons-licensed music if you
want to avoid the cost/complexity of licencing music.

http://www.ccmixter.org/

For other content that might otherwise require the pain of licensing,
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page is an incredible resource.
You can also find other places where generous Commons-valuing creative
folk have made their works available for reuse.

Dvae

On 15/10/20 6:13 pm, Shaun See wrote:
> Hi Ros,
> For certain content (using music) you may need a license if you’ve
> streaming. https://www.getlicensed.co.nz/licence-options/hear-more/
> Cheers,
> Shaun
>
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 4:53 PM, Ros Lee <rl...@otc.school.nz
> <mailto:rl...@otc.school.nz>> wrote:
>
> Is there anyone in this group I could chat to about live streaming
> school events, eg concerts, prizegivings etc to a public audience?  
>
> I'm interested in privacy implications, potential for misuse of the
> content as well as technical considerations.  
>
> Thanks in anticipation
>
> *Ros Lee*
> *Head of IT Services* 
> *T.* +64 7 576 2316 ext. 744  |  www.otc.school.nz
> <http://www.otc.school.nz/>  
>
> OTCEmailSignatureLogo250px.gif
>
>   
>
> *This email and any attachments contain confidential information
> which may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended
> recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email
> or information in it. If it has been received in error please notify
> us immediately by return email and then delete/destroy the
> message. This email is not necessarily the official view or
> communication of Otumoetai College.*
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "MLE Reference Group" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> send an email to mle-reference-g...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mle-reference-g...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mle-reference-group/66bbc8cd-30de-4f32-8054-e944f5ca13aan%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> *//*
>
> Shaun See
> IT Support
> p: 07 856 6122
> a: 218 Cambridge Road, Hillcrest, Hamilton 3216
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=218+Cambridge+Road,+Hillcrest,+Hamilton+3216&entry=gmail&source=g>
> w: www.hillcrestnormal.school.nz
> <http://www.hillcrestnormal.school.nz/>  e: ss...@hillcrestnormal.school.nz
> <mailto:ss...@hillcrestnormal.school.nz>
>
>
> Please note: This email message and accompanying data may contain
> information that is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
> please do not use, disclose, copy or retain it. If you have received
> this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email, and
> delete the email. Thank you
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "MLE Reference Group" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to mle-reference-g...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mle-reference-g...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mle-reference-group/CADimWUozWSdyupnq7cNRSpOWZZPQkSopYjhCmo_T93QhzqYBAw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mle-reference-group/CADimWUozWSdyupnq7cNRSpOWZZPQkSopYjhCmo_T93QhzqYBAw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
Dave Lane
mobile: 021 229 8147 web: http://lane.net.nz twitter: @lightweight
gpg: CE1E 5896 8D80 A78B E179 9E74 319B 083C 50EF AA94

--
Dave Lane - da...@davelane.nz; https://davelane.nz; +64 21 229 8147
GPG fingerprint: CE1E 5896 8D80 A78B E179 9E74 319B 083C 50EF AA94
pEpkey.asc

Steve Smith

unread,
Oct 15, 2020, 5:56:27 AM10/15/20
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ros.
You can use streamyard which will stream to an unlisted youtube or fb or steam.
But as others have mentioned if you go through youtube it may pick up copywritten music.
Best regards
Steve

This email and any attachments contain confidential information which may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or information in it. If it has been received in error please notify us immediately by return email and then delete/destroy the message. This email is not necessarily the official view or communication of Otumoetai College.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MLE Reference Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mle-reference-g...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mle-reference-group/66bbc8cd-30de-4f32-8054-e944f5ca13aan%40googlegroups.com.

Sam McNeill

unread,
Oct 15, 2020, 3:12:57 PM10/15/20
to MLE Reference Group
Last school I worked at we used https://livestream.com/ and it was pretty easy - lots of good stats and data around viewing etc, and easy to create clips of specific parts of an assembly.

Definitely need to get the correct license since you're effectively 'broadcasting' copyright material if you have students doing a dance to music (or even the school singing a song in assembly .... if that's something your school still does!)

More recently, a number of schools have used the Live Events feature in Teams to live stream Assemblies / Chapel services during COVID19 Lockdown:


You can make them private to your school (i.e. requires auth) or visible to the public with no login. You can either stream/mix from a Win10 computer or use a third party external encoder - depends on how simple/complex you want to make it.

Cheers
Sam

Richard Symon

unread,
Oct 15, 2020, 4:07:15 PM10/15/20
to MLE Reference Group
Hi Ros

As we are a google school, we are using google meet for anything internal/external for this, eg large assemblies that need to be projected into classrooms via meet, and in the future also the same for prizegiving and gift service and etc which we have not done yet but in the plans for doing so, we use a samsung galaxy tab s7 (as it has a 4k camera) and also a condenser shotgun mic attached (via a focusrite solo ad converter) so super easy and mobile and can attach to a tripod with attachment... and also you could record it as well and upload it later via meet as well.

As for privacy, seen its in school stuff its not an issue, as for external access the links would be sent to the intended parties directly, but as others have said, about the songs and copyright licensing... 

Cheers



On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 4:53:37 PM UTC+13 Ros Lee wrote:
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages