Realistic figures?

jstam

Oct 6, 2017, 6:02:13 AM10/6/17
to MLE Reference Group
I was looking at the uptake of Chromebooks at statcounter.
Assuming much of the uptake is related to education: is the uptake in NZ really that high?7
Are any other figures about uptake available?
Thannks.

Figures were retreived with (in google sheets) =TRANSPOSE(IMPORTDATA("http://gs.statcounter.com/download/os-country?&year=2017&month=9"))

OSOS XLinuxChrome OS
New Zealand17.1414.94
Sweden17.631.354.47
Bahamas11.290.443.15
United States17.521.472.86
Virgin Island, U.S.8.450.171.95
Uruguay7.188.921.85
Isle of Man9.921.281.68
Anguilla22.470.721.58
Belize9.881.821.44
Saint Kitts and Nevis13.630.791.42
Montserrat7.896.731.23
Cayman Islands15.382.331.04
Denmark15.691.761.02
Turks and Caicos Islands11.32.460.99
Dominica10.191.880.95
Netherlands13.471.720.95
Micronesia, Federated States of8.942.030.91
United Kingdom15.441.180.88
Puerto Rico16.040.930.86
Marshall Islands8.730.10.84
Canada16.91.080.84
Grenada9.281.620.81
Ireland13.092.20.77

Sam McNeill

Oct 8, 2017, 3:39:51 PM10/8/17
to MLE Reference Group
Is that saying ChromeOS only has 4.94 marketshare in NZ? Definitely higher than that in education and I'd doubt OS X has 17.4% as well (unless that includes iOS browsers) No Win10 stats??

Andrew Godfrey

Oct 8, 2017, 6:28:00 PM10/8/17
to mle-reference-group
Here is that same data with windows included but does not seem to match statcounter data shown on their website http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/all/new-zealand/#monthly-201709-201709-bar so I wonder whether they have some miscalculations there.

OS
New Zealand
Win1035.72
Win717.15
OS X17.14
iOS12.7
Chrome OS4.94
Win8.14.92
Android2.41
Linux1

Inline images 1

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

On 9 October 2017 at 08:39, Sam McNeill <s...@mcneill.co.nz> wrote:
Is that saying ChromeOS only has 4.94 marketshare in NZ? Definitely higher than that in education and I'd doubt OS X has 17.4% as well (unless that includes iOS browsers) No Win10 stats??

jstam

Oct 8, 2017, 7:27:13 PM10/8/17
to MLE Reference Group
Well, Sam and Andrew. I have noticed that their figures tend to change the first couple of days of the month. Until they stabilize (usually around the 4th).
Some kind of reconciliation process may have run. They indicate on their website that can take a couple of days. A pity it has hit me/us now.

Statcounter estimates pageviews on the basis of the 2 million sites that use the page-view-counter of statcounter. Netmarketshare only uses 40.000 sites and is not as generous with its stats.

My Question remains the same: 5% of desktops in NZ ChromeOS? World-leader. Is it realistic?
many schools will have Win and some MAC-Osx or maybe even Linux.

Outside of education the adoption of Chromebooks exists, but is not that high (I assume).

5% of all desktops is bl**dy high. In just a couple of years.

MZ

Andrew Godfrey

Oct 8, 2017, 10:39:39 PM10/8/17
to mle-reference-group
If you're looking at "Desktops" then ChromeOS is closer to 6% according to statcounter. http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/new-zealand#monthly-201709-201709-bar

A more interesting note is when looking at ALL devices, the total number of iOS and Android devices (phones and tablets) are greater than the number of Windows devices in NZ and worldwide Android alone is out in front with 39.8%. Non-educational use devices are certainly going to skew the data if you are trying to ascertain what is being used in education so I am wondering whether ChromeOS use may actually be higher still among Edu in NZ. I do know it is quite popular among local primary and intermediate schools and will probably be in close to double figures here at BHS as well.

But what is important to us I think is what we are recommending to parents and students as a suitable device for learning which can vary according to how the student learns and what they are trying to learn. Using a device they are familiar with and adept at learning with can help them progress quickly initially but there is specialty software in some learning areas out there that will not run on all operating systems so this also needs to be taken into consideration.

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

jstam

Oct 9, 2017, 3:08:08 AM10/9/17
to MLE Reference Group
Thanks for your contribution.

The reason I looked at Chromebooks / Desktops specifically is that Chromebooks probably show something about uptake in education. The other devices will not give any impression about uptake in any sector, I fear.

Connectivity can still be a major factor in uptake of chromebooks. Are there many areas or educational institutions in NZ where (lack of) connectivity was a determining factor?

My original interest was related to trying to compare netmarketshare with statcounter and discovering that netmarketshare lumps linux and chromebooks together.
I then quickly discovered countries with high uptake of Chromebooks like NZ. Sweden etc. but also Uruguay (Uruguay has project Ceibal which was a "right to be connected" program mixed with a One-Laptop-per-child program. Uruguay started with Fedora based devices but now also has Win10 and Chromebook devices and Linux+Chromebooks account for >10% of desktop pageviews.). Countries like Greece and Uruguay see Linux being more popular than OSX. These trends are probably related to education and some major employers, but hard to link. I think Chromebook-uptake is more clearly directlyu linked to education.

Jake Wills

Oct 9, 2017, 2:45:32 PM10/9/17
to MLE Reference Group
If it's helpful... this is the August Stats for NZGrapher, which is mainly used by senior Mathematics and Statistics students... This will be a more education centric view.

Operating System Sessions
Windows 46,455(54.07%)
Macintosh 17,134(19.94%)
Chrome OS 12,579(14.64%)
iOS 8,344(9.71%)
Android 1,015(1.18%)
Linux 218(0.25%)
(not set) 165(0.19%)

And specifically for Sam: the windows breakdown if you're interested... I love the fact there were still 39 people using XP, and 16 using Vista... higher than I was expecting still on 8 and 8.1...
Operating System Sessions
10 28,545(61.45%)
7 11,089(23.87%)
8.1 6,242(13.44%)
8 524(1.13%)
XP 39(0.08%)
Vista 16(0.03%)

Sam McNeill

Oct 9, 2017, 3:59:38 PM10/9/17
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jake,

Really interesting to see devices at that more senior end of high school (and maths focused).

*Sigh* - yes sadly plenty of XP still out there. I was just in Thailand last week and saw plenty of XP terminals in retail stores still!

jstam

Oct 10, 2017, 2:40:10 PM10/10/17
to MLE Reference Group
Wow, Jake. Interesting  W7 lower than Mac & Chromebooks

Operating SystemSessions
W1028,545
Macintosh                            17,134
Chrome OS12,579
W7
iOS
8,344

11,089
W8.16,242

On Friday, 6 October 2017 11:02:13 UTC+1, jstam wrote:
Message has been deleted

Jake Wills

Oct 11, 2017, 5:43:40 PM10/11/17
to MLE Reference Group
I hadn't noticed that

Some interesting trends... this is the data since start of 2016 for the 5 biggest OSs

Tabitha

Oct 12, 2017, 1:57:51 PM10/12/17
to MLE Reference Group
Uruguay and Montserrat are the most interesting in this data. Extremely high Linux usage, probably due to OLPC.

jstam

Oct 14, 2017, 8:42:48 AM10/14/17
to MLE Reference Group
Montserrat is nearly empty since a volcanic outburst necessitated evacuation of many  a couple of decades ago.

Uruguay id very interesting because of ther project Ceibal which combined the right to connectivity with a OLPC type of project. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceibal_project   The connections have stayed, the high use of Gdrive has stayed. The project no longer distributes Fedora based OLPCs exclusively, but Chromebooks and Win10 PCs too. I guess trying to foce everyone to use sugar is not really of this tme.

Greece is also interesting with its high Linux uptake. To some extent Cuba is interesting because of its high linux uptake (save spending foreign currency).

For Chromeboook-uptake NZ and Sweden are tops.

jstam

Feb 7, 2019, 5:55:33 PM2/7/19
to MLE Reference Group
A year and a couple of months later, would you be willing to list the stats again?
I am just wondering how ChromeOS is doing and if W10 has slowly kept cannibalizing W7/8/8.1 etc.

Thanks.
J.

Steve Cosgrove

Feb 8, 2019, 3:54:06 PM2/8/19
to MLE Reference Group
Simple enough to update the stats. (API at the top of the conversation still works, and Google Sheets loves this stuff.)  To answer the question posed in the title of the discussion, no, doesn't look realistic to me!

If anyone wants to expand on this spreadsheet, PM me, and I'll give you access.  It was just a curiosity over breakfast.  (& I'm curious why Anguilla is not working!)

Steve

jstam

Feb 8, 2019, 4:21:28 PM2/8/19
to MLE Reference Group
Thanks,
But I was really hoping for Jake's NZGraphs stats.

For statcounter I suspect that (aaside from counting a sizeable nhumber of Win-clients as unknown, the NZ stats under-report ChromeOS. Probably because NZ has sites that children visit that do not use statcounter. http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/new-zealand
There may be NZ specific sites, or even sites like quizzlet etc. that get a lot of traffic through education.

I've now read about several Swedish groups of schools simply largely removing Win. I did not know that was being done (aside from some primary schools).

thanks,
J.

Jake Wills

Feb 9, 2019, 2:17:18 PM2/9/19
to MLE Reference Group
Here are some more up to date data... both monthly (which has a lot of variation) and yearly...
Note, there has also been an 80% increase in sessions to NZGrapher over the last 3 years, so that could influence things too.

YearTotal
2016520024
2017758826
2018934095

Other thing to note, this is collected using Google Analytics, so users running some ad blockers will not be included in these figures.
Any questions please ask.

chart.png

chart (1).png

chart (2).png

chart (3).png

jstam

Feb 9, 2019, 4:20:26 PM2/9/19
to MLE Reference Group
Thanks Jake.

Congratulations on the success of your tool.

It looks like W10 usage is increasing and W7 and 8/8.1 are slowly receding (though 7 is going up and down all over the place) :-) W10 may even be growing stronnger than ChoromeOS just by cannibalizing marketshare from 7/8/8.1.

Chrome is doing well with pronounced dips over xmas. Excllent sustained growth. After a string of successful years it will be interesting to see if they become mainstream in the general population and secondary & tertiary education.

Thanks again,
J.

Jake Wills

Feb 9, 2019, 4:41:59 PM2/9/19
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Yes... it's been neat seeing it grow in usage.

Windows overall percentage was
  59.2% in 2016,
  55.1% in 2017 and
  51.7% in 2016.
It is interesting to see how much traffic is still from Windows 7 and 8/8.1 though!

Browsers from 2018
  79.4% Chrome browser
  13.5% Safari and
  4.2% Edge

Screen Resolution 2018
  39% 1366x769
  17.2% 1440x900 and
  11% 1920x1080

If there are any other stats you'd be interested in let me know.

jstam

Feb 9, 2019, 7:21:48 PM2/9/19
to MLE Reference Group
Thanks.

It does not surprise me that non-rolling OSs are usually kept until the machine crashes (aside form thosse that went for the W10 upgrade.).

Are the visitors mainly NZ based? If not: are there possibly causal figures. Lower Chromebook in other countries may distort the picture.

Thanks,
J.

Jake Wills

Feb 9, 2019, 8:38:20 PM2/9/19
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
For 2018 it was 98% New Zealand Traffic.
This was 934,104 Session (399,163 users)

Sam McNeill

Feb 10, 2019, 2:42:23 PM2/10/19
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
you are probably also seeing a skewed reflection of devices because of the age / year levels of students interested in your tools. Likely trending secondary school (and possibly even senior secondary school at that) I would suspect?
That, and teachers using TELA laptops which are majority Windows too (& exclusively W10 for the last 12 months).

Jake Wills

Feb 10, 2019, 2:48:34 PM2/10/19
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Yes... will very much be skewed to senior secondary... very valid points Sam... thanks :)

jstam

Feb 11, 2019, 9:50:36 AM2/11/19
to MLE Reference Group
Thanks for your insights.

I do not think anybody would assume that a maths tool is representative of uptake by a whole country. But it does allow to confirm the realism of increased W10 and CB use. Basically, if several factors and stats point into the same direction: the likelihood increases that the observations are correct.
I do think it is a valid check of generally increased use of Chromebooks within the user-population and that they are mainly NZ-based.
The switch from W7/8/8.1 to W10 is also not unexpected. It supports the idea that the stats are accurately collected and counted.

I would be interested in Linux, ChromeOS uptake in general. With that I am automatically interested in the trends of the main competitors: MacOs and Win. Uptake of Linux is so small that an accuracy of 1% can leave many stats quite uncertain with regards to linux. In countries where CBs are at levels that MacOS was a decade ago (i.e. 4-5%) the picture about ChromeOS is becoming clearer.

In countries like Sweden with Win below 70% uptake and Mac at 25% and chromeoS at 5% & a combined with a good connectivity infrastructure, the call for cloud-software is understandably bigger than in many other countries. It becomes less of a default-choice to assume applications must be Win because everybody has it.