Appraisal of IT Manager??

Craig Knights

Apr 10, 2019, 11:48:04 PM4/10/19
to MLE Reference Group
<also posted to techies-for-schools..>

Hi all,

I'm the sole charge IT Guy at a relatively small but very into BYOD
high school..

The issue of appraisal of my efforts has come up..

So, who appraises the IT Guy?  and how do they know what to measure your
performance on?  Anyone use an external agency?

they once tried to put me in the same box as a teacher..  but that really didn't work.

thanks,
Craig
Message has been deleted

Wazza

Apr 11, 2019, 4:04:13 PM4/11/19
to MLE Reference Group
WOuldn't the best appraisal come from the goals that you have set yourself from within IT etc and your work towards those. Also do you run a helpdesk system and log jobs etc and so can use information from that year on to show development, improvements, response times etc.

Warren

Craig Knights

Apr 11, 2019, 4:34:12 PM4/11/19
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Yes. The setting of goals and assessing myself was what was put in place in 2014. Apparently it's not a proper appraisal now.

Yes I do have a helpdesk solution. But getting most staff to use it is like getting blood out of a stone. So i end up having to do the tickets myself. Or not..

Thanks
Craig

Wazza

Apr 11, 2019, 4:53:34 PM4/11/19
to MLE Reference Group
Feel your helpdesk pain.

I am not so sure on goal setting not being proper appraisal now. In my school having an inquiry and following this through with research etc is our teacher focus/appraisal.  Teacher PD and help is often the things in passing so I understand the fluid role where we have lots of small callouts. Major developments and the processes around them would be more like your appraisal and PD side of things now for a lot of schools.

However I think pure IT support is different, more related around your logs (maybe you just have to log jobs or get management more onside somehow) so do you have to have the stats to back this up? Helpdesk does need to work with environment.. can it be triggered by email/ replied to by email (lots of teachers still in email world) as well as web interface. From your point and any other tech support does it use of auto reply, cueing, and is  mobile?

On Friday, 12 April 2019 08:34:12 UTC+12, Craig Knights wrote:
Yes. The setting of goals and assessing myself was what was put in place in 2014. Apparently it's not a proper appraisal now.

Yes I do have a helpdesk solution. But getting most staff to use it is like getting blood out of a stone. So i end up having to do the tickets myself. Or not..

Thanks
Craig

Caroline Morris SMC Karori&Whitby

Apr 11, 2019, 5:02:17 PM4/11/19
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com

We’re having our first appraisals this year also.  My COO will do this.  I think it will and should be based around helpdesk logs, SLA’s, customer focus and project/cost saving work etc.  Also include training and personal development as this sometimes gets overlooked and we end our training ourselves.    Im currently use team viewer and its built in helpdesk feature – it auto forwards, logs, monitors and provides some basic reporting features which I intend to use for my appraisal, at least it provides backup of the work that we’re doing on a daily basis.

Cheers and good luck

Caroline

SAMUEL MARSDEN COLLEGIATE SCHOOL
Phone +64 4 476 8707
Fax +64 4 939 8934
Marsden Avenue, Karori
www.marsden.school.nz

Email disclaimer: This email and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way. If you receive this message in error, please let us know by return email and then destroy the message. Samuel Marsden Collegiate School is not responsible for any changes made to this message and/or any attachments after sending.