Seminars @ DS@UPšŸš€ - Timnit Gebru - 15 Oct 2021 - 3PM SAST

Vukosi Marivate

Oct 11, 2021, 2:16:34 AMĀ (6 days ago)Ā Oct 11
to mlds-...@googlegroups.com

Seminars @ DS@UPšŸš€ - 2021 Data Science for Society Seminar Series #DS4SocietySeminar

Our fourth speaker for 2021 - 15 OctoberĀ 2021

  • Topic:Ā On the dangers of stochastic parrots
  • Speaker:Ā Timnit Gebru
  • Sign Up:Ā RSVP
  • Date:Ā 15 October 2021
  • Time:Ā 3:00PM-5:00PM SAST

2 part interaction. Talk + Discussion hosted by Data Science for Society Seminar Series and the Masakhane Community

TalkĀ Abstract
In this talk, I will expand on a couple of points in the Stochastic Parrots paper, which was ostensibly the reason I got fired from Google.Ā  Specifically, I plan to discuss some of the issues perpetuated by the platformsĀ  (e.g. social media companies) whose contents are used to train large language models, in the countries that they don't consider to be important. I discuss some issues with content moderation, and note the proliferation of hate speech, misinformation, and other harmful material, which in turn is used to train the next generation of large language models. On the other hand, the lack of language technology for many languages in the African continent, means that this hate speech cannot be detected in an automated manner.

Discussion Topic
I end with a couple of discussion questions for the community on how we can ensure that the technology we build is one that prioritizes the wellbeing of our communities.Ā

Bio
Timnit Gebru was fired by Google in December 2020 for raising issues of discrimination in the workplace. Prior to that she was a co-lead of the Ethical AI research team at Google. She received her PhD from Stanford University, and did a postdoc at Microsoft Research, New York City in the FATE (Fairness Accountability Transparency and Ethics in AI) group, where she studied algorithmic bias and the ethical implications underlying projects aiming to gain insights from data. Timnit also co-founded Black in AI, a nonprofit that works to increase the presence, inclusion, visibility and health of Black people in the field of AI. She is currently setting up an independent AI research institute.

2021 Schedule
DateTime [SAST]SpeakerOrganisationTitle
18/08/202109:00Felipe MeloABSA BankPattern Extraction in Marketing [Video + Material]
03/09/202115:00Ernest MwebazeSunbird.aiEnvironmental urban noise prediction for Kampala city [Video + Material]
23/09/202109:00Emily MullerImperial College LondonMeasuring the urban environment using street view imagery [Video + Material]
15/10/202115:00Timnit GebruĀ On the dangers of stochastic parrots
05/11/202109:00TBCSITA/DCDT/DPSATBC
26/11/202115:00Syed Ishtiaque AhmedUniversity of TorontoAddressing anti-Asian COVID-related stigma in online communities

The seminars are hosted by theĀ Data Science for Social Impact Research Group, in theĀ Department of Computer Science at the University of Pretoria.

If you have any questions, suggestions or comments, feel free to contact Thapelo SindaneĀ sindane...@tuks.co.za

Please refer toĀ http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdfĀ
for full details.