[SisonkeBiotik] Talk - Computer Vision and Medical Imaging

Chris Fourie

Nov 1, 2021, 12:36:03 PMNov 1
to mlds-...@googlegroups.com, SisonkeBiotik, masakh...@googlegroups.com

Interested in Machine Learning 🤖 and Healthcare 🩺 in Africa? 🌍

Join us, SisonkeBiotik, for a talk at our monthly meet on Thursday 4th November  📅 at 18:00 GMT/UTC +2h  🕕

Please RSVP for the talk with the link below:

[https://bit.ly/SisonkeBiotik_Talk_RSVP]

SCHEDULE:

18:00 - 18:10      Welcome and community update

18:10 - 18:45      Talk

18:45 - 19:00     Questions and  general discussion

19:00 - ???    Interest group and social breakout rooms

### ###

TALK

Jonathan Gerrand [https://bit.ly/Jonathan_Gerrand]

Seeing things clearly: Image understanding through hard-attention and reasoning with structured knowledge

In this talk, Jonathan aims to frame the current challenges of explainability and understanding in ML-driven approaches to image processing, and their potential solution through explicit inference techniques.

Jonathan works as a senior data scientist at EXPLORE-AI and is a member of the RAIL lab at the University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa. His research is focused on capturing higher-order reasoning behind diagnostic outcomes in radiological investigations using agent-based methods; allowing learning models to better understand and articulate knowledge in a clinical setting.

PROJECT UPDATES

1) Machine Learning and Healthcare in Africa: Bibliometric Study and Systematic Review [https://bit.ly/bibliometric_study_and_systematic_review]

2) Privacy Preserving AI for African Health Datasets

### ###

RECORDINGS

Missed our previous talks? Subscribe and watch recordings… [https://www.sisonkebiotik.africa/talks]

### ###

SisonkeBiotik is an open and inclusive community of researchers, practitioners and enthusiasts at the intersection of Machine Learning and Healthcare working together to build capacity and drive forward grassroots research initiatives in Africa for Machine Learning and Healthcare ❤️🌍

Every week on a Thursday at 18:00 UTC/GMT +2h  🕕  there is an open meet to discuss and develop research initiatives - as well as provide peer-to-peer mentorship. Drop by here if you are interested in getting involved in projects or if you would like to provide or receive mentorship - [https://bit.ly/SisonkeBiotik-Discord-Chat]

Every month we aim to provide a larger social meet on an ad-hoc Thursday at 18:00 UTC/GMT +2h  🕕  this is an open meet towards developing the community. This includes (but is not limited to) opportunities for community members to:

  • present talks on research or topics of interest 🎤

  • an open forum for discussion 🗣️ and brainstorming 🧠🌩️

  • social activities 🛼🪘

  • engage with visitors 🛸 to the community

Keep an eye on our Discord announcements channel or our mailing list to know when the next monthly social meet is.

### ###

Keen to get involved at SisonkeBiotik

Visit us at [https://www.sisonkebiotik.africa]

Join the SisonkeBiotik Discord [https://bit.ly/SisonkeBiotik-Discord-Chat]

Or complete a membership form [https://bit.ly/SisonkeBiotik-Membership-Form]

### ###

SisonkeBiotik is a fork of the Masakhane research community model - find their repository here [http://bit.ly/Masakhane-Repo] and fork your own community today =D

or fork the SisonkeBiotik community repository here [http://bit.ly/SisonkeBiotik-Repo]

--
Dr. Chris Fourie | +27645240720 | chrisfourie.africa | twitter | LinkedIn
MBBCh (Wits)