Seminars @ DS@UP🚀 - Emily Muller - 23 Sep 2021 - 9AM SAST

Vukosi Marivate

Sep 15, 2021, 8:45:20 AMSep 15
to mlds-...@googlegroups.com

Seminars @ DS@UP🚀 - 2021 Data Science for Society Seminar Series #DS4SocietySeminar

We had a great first speaker in the series. We now move to the second seminar.

Our third speaker for 2021 - 23 September 2021

  • Topic: Measuring the urban environment using street view imagery
  • Speaker: Emily Muller
  • Sign Up: RSVP
  • Date: 23 September 2021
  • Time: 9:00AM-10:00AM SAST

Abstract

The efficacy of images to create quantitative measures of the urban environment has been explored in public health, psychology, social science, urban planning and architecture over the last 50 years. The ability to scale these measurements has become possible only in the last decade, due to increased urban surveillance in the form of street view and satellite imagery, and the accessibility of such data. In this talk, I will present a series of work conducted as part of my PhD and as part of the wider project, Pathways to Healthy Equitable Cities, which leverage information from images for understanding our urban environments.

Author Bio

Emily Muller is a second year PhD candidate at Imperial College London. She is funded by the MRC centre for environment and health, working within their stream: healthy cities, healthy people. Her research uses street view images to measure urban dynamics of social status and perception using machine learning and interpretability.

The seminars are hosted by the Data Science for Social Impact Research Group, in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Pretoria.

If you have any questions, suggestions or comments, feel free to contact Thapelo Sindane sindane...@tuks.co.za

Please refer to http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf
for full details.