Colloquium: Teaching AI Ethics

Kanshukan Rajaratnam

Aug 4, 2022, 6:17:29 AM (10 days ago) Aug 4
to Machine Learning and Data Science Africa Network

Greetings,

You are invited to a colloquium brought to you by the School for Data Science and Computational Thinking, Stellenbosch University and Praelexis. Please share this with your colleagues, postdoc fellows and students as well.

Speaker: Prof Bettina Berendt, KU Leuven

Date: 10 August 2022

Time: 11:00

Venue: Praelexis (7 Neutron Ave, TechnoPark, Stellenbosch) as well as online via zoom. Please register using the Zoom link below.

Registration link: https://maties.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_QI-61SpLR7a-ASl8Pv2qAA

Title: Teaching AI Ethics

Abstract: I would like to talk about concepts and experiences for teaching ethics to computer-science students. After four runs of the course "Ethics, data science, and networked AI", I am beginning to see a complex network of approaches and challenges here. I think this is relevant also beyond a university context, because after all - these are the engineers we send out into the world. I would be extremely grateful for an exchange also with company/consultant experiences (i.e., you!) about your experiences with your engineers, consultants, and clients, i.e. the view of AI Ethics and related fields that show itself to you, as well as your expectations / wishes / recommendations for us teaching folks.

PS: the current iteration of the course is here:

https://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~bettina.berendt/Berendt/SoSe22/EDSNAI22_semester_plan.html

Biography: Bettina Berendt is a Professor in the Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning and Data Mining group in the Department of Computer Science, KU Leuven, Belgium.  https://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~bettina.berendt/

Prof Berendt is presenting from Belgium. However, we have organised a venue at Praelexis where we can watch and engage with the presentation together.  For those indicating you wish to attend in-person, there are limited places available. If you wish to attend in-person, please register using the Zoom link above before 8th of August AND, send an email to datas...@sun.ac.za indicating that you have registered and wish to attend in-person. You will then receive confirmation of your in-person attendance. If you wish to attend virtually, you only need to register using the Zoom link above.

Kind regards,

Kanshukan Rajaratnam