[community update] [seminar]

Chris Fourie

Jun 14, 2022, 11:52:02 AMJun 14
to SisonkeBiotik, mlds-...@googlegroups.com, masakh...@googlegroups.com

 Participate in
African 🌍 Machine Learning 🤖 and Health 🩺

Join our open community

 [https://www.sisonkebiotik.africa/

 📢 COMMUNITY UPDATE 📢

########################

## NEW NEWS ##

📅  Upcoming Seminar

Register to attend here - [https://bit.ly/SisonkeBiotik-seminar-register-ersilia]

The Ersilia Open Source Initiative (EOSI) is a non-profit organisation whose mission is to strengthen the research capacity in LMIC. EOSI is focussed on disseminating and deploying artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) tools for drug discovery as a solution to minimise the cost and number of laboratory experiments. The main asset of EOSI is the Ersilia Model Hub, a free, online, open-source platform where scientists can browse through a catalogue of AI/ML models, select the ones that are relevant to their research and run online predictions without the need to write a single line of code.

📜 Survey Paper for Africa Machine Learning and Health

We have started work toward a collaborative academic survey paper for machine learning and health in Africa. We are aiming to produce a paper that is relevant and useful to the African context.

We are looking for broad participation from potential coauthors with a variety of skill levels and technical proficiencies. We encourage both senior and junior researchers from both machine learning and health backgrounds to get involved. If you are interested in participating as a coauthor - join any SisonkeBiotik Weekly Meet  or jump in and contribute to our brainstorming document for this project [https://bit.ly/SisonkeBiotik-AML-Health-Survey-Brief]

📅 SisonkeBiotik: AML Health Workshop @ Deep Learning Indaba

We are running the “Africa Machine Learning and Health Workshop” at the Deep Learning Indaba!

If you would like to help with the organisation, join any SisonkeBiotik Weekly Meet or chat with us in the AML Health Workshop #general channel on Discord here [https://bit.ly/SisonkeBiotik-Discord-Chat]

We are on the lookout for sponsors to help support attendance of SisonkeBiotik community members at the Deep Learning Indaba. Please add any suggestions for sponsors here [https://forms.gle/UPkLPjP46TH6YTjR9]

## OLD NEWS ##

📜  Publications

Congratulations to our community members Houcemeddine Turki, Bonaventure Dossou and Chris Chinenye Emezue on their publication 🎉

“MeSH2Matrix: Machine learning-driven biomedical relation classification based on the MeSH” keywords of PubMed scholarly publications

Accepted to BIR@ECIR [https://sites.google.com/view/bir-ws/bir-2022]

Preliminary version of paper [https://bit.ly/MeSH2Matrix_preliminary_paper]

### ### ### ### ### ### ### END OF UPDATE ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###

SisonkeBiotik is an open and inclusive community of researchers, practitioners and enthusiasts at the intersection of Machine Learning and Healthcare working together to build capacity and drive forward grassroots research initiatives in Africa for Machine Learning and Healthcare ❤️🌍

Weekly Meet
Every week on a Thursday at 18:00 CAT  🕕  there is an open meet to discuss and develop research initiatives - as well as provide peer-to-peer mentorship. Drop by here if you are interested in getting involved in projects or if you would like to provide or receive mentorship - [https://bit.ly/SisonkeBiotik-weekly-meet]

### ###

Keen to get involved at SisonkeBiotik

There are many levels of involvement…
Visit us at [https://www.sisonkebiotik.africa] to learn more