PhD position ML for the Physical Sciences

Mathias Niepert

Mar 31, 2023, 11:54:45 AM3/31/23
to Machine Learning News
The Machine Learning and Simulation Lab (IPVS, Department of Computer Science, University of Stuttgart), led by Mathias Niepert, invites applications for a full-time research position as a Ph.D. student (100% TV-L E 13). We are working on machine learning research with a focus on geometric deep learning, the synthesis of discrete (algorithmic) components and continuous learning systems, and the intersection of machine learning and the simulation sciences. If you are interested in our work (published regularly at ICML, NeurIPS, AAAI, EMNLP, IJCAI, and ICLR) please take a look at our website: http://matlog.net/publications.html

The Ph.D. project will be concerned with developing state-of-the-art machine learning methods for understanding and modeling physical systems governed by differential equations. Examples of such physical are flows of liquids and many-body particle systems. Machine learning promises to accelerate science and engineering by making simulations of physical systems more efficient. The research project will also be concerned with the design and development of machine learning approaches that incorporate and respect physical constraints such as symmetries and conservation laws. The aim is to use machine learning not simply as a black box but as a tool for discovering interpretable, mechanistic models of complex physical systems.

What We Will Offer

Using machine learning for problems in the sciences and engineering is a growing and ever more important area. For instance, several IT research labs are exclusively dedicated to addressing this research theme. Hence, a Ph.D. in this area will provide excellent future career opportunities both in academic and industrial research labs. We are a growing, international team working at the intersection of machine learning, the sciences, and engineering with real-world impact. We have a track record of publishing at top-tier conferences such as ICML, ICLR, and NeurIPS. We will provide you with a friendly but challenging interdisciplinary research environment and support your academic career toward accomplishing your Ph.D. You will have the opportunity to work with other researchers to develop innovative and useful machine learning methods. We work closely with domain experts from academia and industry and care deeply about the real-world impact of the methods we develop.

What we are looking for

Applicants for the position are required to have an M.Sc. in Computer Science, Physics, Engineering, or a related discipline. Due to the nature of the research project, we are specifically looking for applicants with knowledge of physics and engineering. Basic knowledge in the areas of artificial intelligence and machine learning is required. Experience with the programming language Python and deep learning frameworks such as PyTorch is advantageous. Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in an international team are indispensable for the position. Knowledge of German is a plus but not required.

Location: Universitätsstraße 32, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany.

Please submit your application in one PDF file including a letter of motivation, a curriculum vitae, and scans of all of your original transcripts and diploma certificates from each university degree (or stamped, official translations) by 15.4.2023, by email with the subject “ML4S – IPVS-MLS – (Your Name)” to ac_...@ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de. We will continue to screen applications until the position is filled.