CRNS Talk Series (9) - Live Talk by Dr. Silvia Rossi - University of Naples "Federico II" - Italy

Amir Aly

Oct 24, 2022, 9:39:50 AM10/24/22
to eucog-gen...@googlegroups.com, ml-...@googlegroups.com, ai-ro...@googlegroups.com, u...@engr.orst.edu, all-c...@ieee-coro.org, all-coro...@ieee-coro.org
Dear All

* Apologies for cross-posting*

The Center for Robotics and Neural Systems (CRNS) is pleased to announce the talk of Dr. Silvia Rossi from the University of Naples "Federico II" - Italy on Wednesday, November 2nd from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm (London time) over Zoom.

>> Events: The CRNS talk series will cover a wide range of topics including social and cognitive robotics, computational neuroscience, computational linguistics, cognitive vision, machine learning, AI, and applications to healthcare. More details are available here:

>> Link for the next event (No Registration is Required)

Join Zoom Meeting

Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.

>> Title of the talk:  Behavioral Adaptation and Transparency in HRI

Abstract:

To effectively collaborate with people, robots are expected to detect and profile the users they are interacting with and modify and adapt their behavior according to the learned models. Many research challenges for personal robotics are related to the need for a high degree of personalization of the robot's behavior to the specific user’s needs and preferences.

It is crucial to investigate how robots can better adjust to their human interaction partners and how the behavior of a robot can be personalized based on the user’s characteristics such as personality and cognitive profile, and their dynamic changes. However, in practice, it is not just a matter of performing an interaction task correctly, but mainly of performing such tasks in a way that is socially acceptable to humans. The more robots become adaptive and flexible, the more their behaviors need to be transparent. When interacting with complex intelligent artifacts, humans inevitably formulate expectations to understand and predict their behaviors. Indeed, robots’ behaviors should be self-explanatory so that users can be confident in their knowledge of what these systems are doing and why. In this talk, we will present and discuss several topics connected to adaptivity in robot behavior and the need for legibility and transparency.

>> If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me,

Regards

Dr. Amir Aly

Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics

Center for Robotics and Neural Systems (CRNS)

School of Engineering, Computing, and Mathematics

Room A307 Portland Square, Drake Circus, PL4 8AA

University of Plymouth, UK