[2CfP] NeurIPS 2021 Workshop on Metacognition in AI

Ingmar Posner

Sep 16, 2021, 11:02:25 AM9/16/21
to ml-...@googlegroups.com
2nd Call For Papers (closing soon…)

Metacognition in the Age of AI: Challenges and Opportunities

A NeurIPS 2021 Workshop

Recent progress in artificial intelligence and machine learning research has transformed the way we live, work and interact. Machines are mastering complex games and are learning increasingly challenging manipulation skills. Yet where are the robot agents that work for, with and alongside us? Recent successes heavily rely on the ability to learn at scale, often within the confines of a virtual environment, by trial and error over as many episodes as required. This presents significant challenges for embodied systems acting and interacting in the real world: an elaborate exploration of an agent’s state space is often unrealistic due to complexity and safety constraints; the critical inter-dependence of perception, planning and control coupled with limited hardware often leads to fragile performance and slow execution times; and cost of deployment severely limits the amount of training data obtainable. In contrast, we require our robots to robustly operate in real-time, to learn from a limited amount of data, take mission- and sometimes safety-critical decisions and increasingly even display a knack for creative problem solving. Achieving this goal will require artificial agents to be able to assess - or introspect - their own competencies and their understanding of the world.

Human psychology and cognitive science suggest that, while humans are faced with similar complexity,  there are a number of mechanisms which allow us to successfully act and interact in the real world. Our ability to assess the quality of our own thinking - our capacity for metacognition - plays a central role. We posit that recent advances in machine learning have, for the first time, enabled the effective implementation and exploitation of similar processes in robotics. This workshop brings together experts from psychology and cognitive science with cutting-edge research in AI, robotics, representation learning and related disciplines with the ambitious aim of re-assessing how models of intelligence and metacognition can be leveraged in artificial agents given the potency of the toolset now available.

We welcome both  opinion pieces (up to 4 pages) and technical papers (up to 8 pages) on any aspect of metacognition, including:
  • computational models of metacognition for perception, planning and control;
  • architectures and implementations of metacognitive systems;
  • metacognition for robust, rapid or safe learning;
  • introspective or curious exploration, learning through interaction;
  • the applicability of dual process theory to artificial agents;
  • metacognition, world modelling and causal discovery;
  • metacognition for resilient action under model uncertainty and mis-specification;
  • datasets and metrics for evaluating the metacognitive capacity of artificial agents.
Invited Speakers and Panelists: Representing a cross-section of cognitive science, AI and robotics, these include Yoshua Bengio (University of Montreal), Megan Peters (UC Riverside), Jürgen Schmidhuber (IDSIA and University of Lugano), Stanislas Dehaene (College de France), Susan Epstein (CUNY), Bernhard Schölkopf (Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems), Hakwan Lau (UCLA), Simona Ghetti (UC Davis), Lucinda Uddin (University of Miami), and Jiangying Zhou (DARPA).

Important Dates:
Submission Deadline: 17 September 2021
Author Notification: 22 October  2021
Workshop Date: 13 or 14 December 2021 (tbd)

Submission Format: Both position papers (up to 4 pages) and technical papers (up to 8 pages) need to be anonymised and formatted using the NeurIPS 2021 style guidelines (found here). References and appendix should be appended into the same (single) PDF document, and do not count towards the page limit.
Workshop organisers: Ingmar Posner (Oxford), Francesca Rossi (IBM), Lior Horesh (IBM), Steve Fleming (UCL), Oiwi Parker Jones (Oxford), Rohan Paul (IIT Delhi), Biplav Srivastava (USC), Andrea Loreggia (EUI), and Marianna Bergamaschi (Union College).

Ingmar Posner
Professor of Engineering Science (Applied Artificial Intelligence)
Department of Engineering Science
Oxford University

Administrator: Hollie Dunn
+44 1865 613062